Blacktail hunting techniques and habitat

R

Razaboo

I was wondering what kind of habitat people are finding their bucks in? I am new to hunting blacktails. I hunt in the Salem Oregon area, and the brush seems real thick. Making it hard to find any deer. Just trying to figure out if what the best way to hunt these deer is. Treestand, ground blind, spot and stalk, or still hunting. I am also trying to figure out where to look for them. How old of a clearcut or should I go into real thick brush after them?

Any info would be appreciated even if you don't hunt in Oregon.

Stan

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-03 AT 09:29AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-03 AT 09:23?AM (MST)

I am new to blacktail hunting too. But I can give you the same advice that was given to me by a couple of blacktail hunters with years of experience: Get a copy of Louis G. Terkla's book, "Hunting Black-tailed Deer: An Oregon Perspective". This book is geared to rifle hunters so if you're a bowhunter you'll definately want a copy of Cameron R. Haynes book, "Bowhunting Trophy Blacktail." Boyd Iverson's book, "Blacktail Trophy Tactics II" (also geared to rifle hunters)is highly recommended by blacktail hunters. The authors of these three books all live in Oregon and their books cover both still hunting and stand hunting. Iverson and Haynes favor tree stands and both have taken numerous B&C or P&Y blacktail bucks in Oregon. Terkla's book, as well as the others, discuss various habitat and the where and how of finding deer in that "thick stuff".

Also, living in the Salem area you might checkout the Blacktail Rendevous that takes place in Springfield in early January. They have seminars on blacktail hunting at this event. You can get more imformation by going to the website for the Foundation for Blacktail Deer (www.blacktail.org)

Hope this helps.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom