BLM access

MitchEMTFF

Long time looker, first time thread starter. I was fortunate enough to draw the October barb tag in 32, 34, 36, and 37. I have been pouring over the BLM maps I ordered. Looks like some good roadless country in places. Here in Oklahoma, BLM land is very limited, so I have zero experience. My questions are: Are there parking areas where I can leave my pickup and hike in? Or do I follow established two tracks to somewhere I can park? Are there even two tracks on BLM? I read in an old thread on here about checking to see about BLM land swaps. The newest BLM maps I can find of the area are from 2012. Any advice you can give on proper land usage will be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to tag along, let me know.
Thanks,

Mitch

I know nothing about NM- but in AZ and WY, BLM land has many roads and two tracks that are fully accessible to the public. Issues arise with BLM that is locked by private land for access- so getting a map app like Gaia or GoHunt's stuff will be valuable. Also, each BLM region has a website you can go to read about any specific rules for that region, including restrictions for fire or whatever.

Oh- and like any western state, some of those two-tracks can be very rough, high-ground clearance trails. Might not be usable for a standard chevy/ford 4wd truck even.

You can drive on BLM roads and two tracks and you can park right off the two track or road but if that two track goes through private you can’t enter with out permission and written permission to hunt. If it’s a county road you can can go through. Landowners don’t want to hear…..I thought it was ok to keep driving. Trespass in NM is…. criminal trespass. State land has different laws and some state land is off limits to hunting. Brush up on NM law!
Some of the 2 tracks in those units are tough on horseback let alone driving on them.

There are a couple of county roads in there that are gated off. I called the county and they said it basically takes an act of congress to close them down but the ranchers went through the proper Chanel’s and had the political pull they needed and did indeed get them closed!
Also if a two track is shown on a map but is grown over ( you can no longer visibly se it)
It’s considered decommissioned.
BUT on blm you CAN use a vehicle or atv to retrieve game, state land you can NOT take a vehicle off of an established road. Hope this helps!

Right now due to fire hazards 34-36-and unit 37 are closed until we get some moisture. Very dry and windy now and NM is having some huge wildfires that have been burning for over a month.

Right now due to fire hazards 34-36-and unit 37 are closed until we get some moisture. Very dry and windy now and NM is having some huge wildfires that have been burning for over a month.
Blm is closed? I know the forest is . Wasn’t aware blm is.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom