Blood Tracking Dogs

Deepcolor

How many of you have used a dog to find your deer or elk? I have trained my wirehair to trail and he has been on 3 elk (bowkills)and 2 deer ( 1 rifle and 1 bow). All of these animals would have been found by standard tracking but I am hoping to get a bunch of easy recoveries in before having to use him on a marathon track.

It was pretty simple to get him trained and pretty satisfying to watch him work.

Never used a dog for tracking game animals. Did have a K-9 dog on the road for 10 years that was damn good at tracking down humans. Used the dog on a burglary case and the dog tracked the suspect for 1/4 mile to his door step. 17 year old juvenile who confessed to the burglary and gave up the stolen property.
My dog preferred tracking a suspect and when he jumped up and ran, the K-9 got in her bites. Reward was a steak at home after end of shift.

RELH

Oh those pesky K-9 units........you will never win that race.

76898image.jpg

66374image.jpg

23675image.jpg

Making blood tracking easy since 2014!

I saved the liver from an elk and as much blood I could get from the chest cavity of the same bull. Froze it all in 1 oz packages, I started with short heavy blood trails with a chunk of liver as a prize at the end.

A bird dog already knows how to use his nose, he just needs to know what you want him to do with certain scents. Make it fun for him and don't push him too early.

It's a good idea to have them wear a loud bell so you can hear which direction they are trailing. Sometimes they will come back to the handler once they locate the animal, and it makes to tough to find if you dont know the general direction the animal went. Usually no training is necessary, its tougher to break them from trash/off-game. They are born to track. If the animal was in a herd of other animals best to keep them on a leash until they line out the track.

I have a German shorthair that's now 14 years old. Good bird hunting dog in his day, great companion / family dog. He found a few deer and a coyote once for me with zero training on the subject. Just naturally follows blood or any scent. Needs LOTS of room to run. Love my Bo dog!

I had a Springer that was awesome at it. He recovered deer, elk, and mountain lion. He recovered MANY animals. I hope to do this with my GWP.

01220001_zpseadu71va.jpg

IMG_0238_zpskrfgkn9n.jpg

I was privileged to watch a top class blood tracking Draat do his thing a couple years ago. We would not have found that elk without him. It was something to behold!

That is a stud buck Ron!

We had a Springer that taught me and 2 brothers how to hunt pheasants as teenagers. Good times and fond memories!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom