Bloody Pack Help

ICMDEER

Very Active Member
With all of the expertise here, I'm wondering if anybody has some advice on how to remove the scent of blood from my old Eberlestock pack. I use it to pack out elk every year. I bet it has packed out 50 or so elk. It gets soaked in elk blood every year. But I'll be spending more time in griz country this year so I don't want to smell like a bloody elk every time it gets wet.

I've soaked it and washed it well and my wife even ran it through the washing machine yesterday. No Tide or the like, just unscented soap. Is there anything else a guy could do to take out blood scent?

No need to suggest that I take an old, slow MM person along with me. I'm not sure I can outrun many of you now and I'd hate to answer all those questions about why I ran off an left a friend as bear bait.

Thanks for any ideas.

:D!

pepe.jpg

With all of the expertise here, I'm wondering if anybody has some advice on how to remove the scent of blood from my old Eberlestock pack. I use it to pack out elk every year. I bet it has packed out 50 or so elk. It gets soaked in elk blood every year. But I'll be spending more time in griz country this year so I don't want to smell like a bloody elk every time it gets wet.

I've soaked it and washed it well and my wife even ran it through the washing machine yesterday. No Tide or the like, just unscented soap. Is there anything else a guy could do to take out blood scent?

No need to suggest that I take an old, slow MM person along with me. I'm not sure I can outrun many of you now and I'd hate to answer all those questions about why I ran off an left a friend as bear bait.

Thanks for any ideas.
I personally only use baking soda to wash my hunting clothes & packs. You might need to run it through the washing machine several times, then let it air dry. It’s the best product that I’ve found & way cheaper than the Dead Down Wind detergent or other scent killing products.

Wash it like a normal load of laundry. Use regular detergent. Your pack smells like a human no matter what you do to it. At least this way you won't smell like a tasty bear treat.

Most times it will be fine after a regular washing. You can go down to the laundromat and use this in a commercial washer with much more water and agitation.

A4430CBB-692D-48AD-A532-E75F8C01DA0B_4_5005_c.jpeg

If you wash it in a washer put detergent in it. A lot. Blast that stuff. Think of it like hot sauce. There can’t be too much. Do this twice and if it’s still there it’s perma baked on.

In future to all people who kill stuff keep a contractor bag in your pack to put your meat in while packing. Cuts down on 90% of the mess. And then you can use the contractor bag to throw away your just one pack at the end of the day because those pack smell….like poor design.

Mom said to soak anything that stinks in white vinegar for an hour before you wash it. But I never cared, I just stayed down wind from griz.

I almost chose 2Stinky for my MM login. Mom would have known why.

I always take mine to the car wash open it up all the way and hang it where you hang your floor mats. I then I use the powerful wand and wash and rinse the heck out of it. It has worked great for me

Love my J107.
I usually just douse mine with some kind of
hunters laundry detergent and spray it down
with the garden hose,
then let it sit outside in the rain/sun for a few
days hanging in a tree.

That pic looks like Putin riding Joe Biden and Kamala while they are dressed in a bear suit. Maybe.....

I wash the pack every year. I use heavy garbage bags if it's cold when I pack. Use breathable game bags when it's warm so no meat is spoiled. The pack is just kinda permeated with blood and blood stink.

The first washing this year did pretty well. I"ll follow up.

And I have good frame packs. I like this one because it has lots of pockets and is good for general use.

Thanks for the good ideas and I will use some of them. If it doesn't work, watch for my obituary next fall.

I'll make sure my wife reads this so if I get eaten, she will know what worked and what didn't, in case I am a bear turd.

I’m not sure if it’s do anything to help scent but I always soak any blood saturated items in salt water and it works well to remove the blood.

Good ideas here. I normally just hose it off and its fine. This year I packed two antelope. I have washed it 3 times and I can still smell antelope

Tomatoe juice worked to get skunk off a dog !? I’ve never tried it ? Power wash at the car wash when mine gets bad.

Buzz has it nailed. Soak over night in peroxide then rinse. If spots remain peroxide again and rinse.

Salt! Put some water in a tote or cooler with a couple handfuls of salt. Any salt works but I go to my local hardware store and get pool salt cause you can get a big bag of it pretty cheap. Throw your packs or game bags or whatever has blood in it and agitate it for a few minutes. Most come right out the first time. If there is several years worth it might take 2-3 rounds.

Alcor makes a product used to clean lab apparatus and clothing. It is specific for blood and other proteins. It works, but it costs more than peroxide or salt...

Years ago I was walking around my house one night and as I went around a corner I walked into a skunk face to face that was no more than five feet away. He spun around and I caught a full blast of spray at point blank. I can still envision that stream coming right at me. That oily crap went right through my shirt to my skin.

So I ran into the bathroom stripped off and threw my clothes into the bathtub, filled it with water and dawn dish soap if I recall correctly. I let it soak for four or five days in the tub before throwing it in the wash. My shirt and pants came out like nothing had ever happened but I can't say the same for the brown stains on my skivvies:oops: I've had good luck removing blood and other stuff the same way, just by soaking it for several days with detergent and agitating it once in a while before washing it.

I have one of the original Eberlestock All In One packs. Seriously, after every animal I have packed out, I rinsed it with a hose to get the bulk of the stains out, then soaked it in cold water in a large cooler I have laying around For a day or three. Let it dry in the sun. Never had an issue with any latent stinkyness. Believe me my wife would have told me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom