Blue Mountains

PSEbackcountry

Has anyone ever accessed the Blue Mountains from interstate 84? Just wondering how hard it would be. Wanted to try something different. Thanks

I have no idea. You asked about accessing the Blue Mountains from I84. If you have a Deer hunting question the answer will depend on the weapon used and the possibly the hunt unit.

There are very few options for hunting off of 84, most of the land from Pendelton to Lagrande is a reservation or private property that borders the freeway. There are a couple of spots you can access Hancock land but its currently closed to motor vehicles so you would have to walk in. 95% of Everything along the interstate from Lagrande all the way to Baker City is private property and what's not are small partials of BLM.

Looking at a map there is some Hancock land not far from some of the freeway but most of it is landlocked and what's not is only accessible from behind because the private ranches have big locked gates across their roads. The units are Ukiah and Starkey South of the freeway. North of Lagrande is Catherine Creek, all are ok units but you have to get up into the National Forest or Wilderness areas to hunt. Since this is a deer hunting forum I assume you are looking for archery deer, I would not drive all the way out here and hunt any of those units for deer, numbers are in the toilet and it's all thick timberlands which aren't easy to hunt deer in with a bow unless your a mt. lion or bear.

I've lived here my entire life and was born in Lagrande, I will be getting on 84 and heading West this area this year to hunt deer in Oregon. If you really want to have decent deer hunting, hop on 84 and head east until you pass Boise, from there on the deer hunting is much much better than it is around here.

There are very few options for hunting off of 84, most of the land from Pendelton to Lagrande is a reservation or private property that borders the freeway. There are a couple of spots you can access Hancock land but its currently closed to motor vehicles so you would have to walk in. 95% of Everything along the interstate from Lagrande all the way to Baker City is private property and what's not are small partials of BLM.

Looking at a map there is some Hancock land not far from some of the freeway but most of it is landlocked and what's not is only accessible from behind because the private ranches have big locked gates across their roads. The units are Ukiah and Starkey South of the freeway. North of Lagrande is Catherine Creek, all are ok units but you have to get up into the National Forest or Wilderness areas to hunt. Since this is a deer hunting forum I assume you are looking for archery deer, I would not drive all the way out here and hunt any of those units for deer, numbers are in the toilet and it's all thick timberlands which aren't easy to hunt deer in with a bow unless your a mt. lion or bear.

I've lived here my entire life and was born in Lagrande, I will be getting on 84 and heading West this area this year to hunt deer in Oregon. If you really want to have decent deer hunting, hop on 84 and head east until you pass Boise, from there on the deer hunting is much much better than it is around here.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom