Bobcats pics from the east !

W

WayCool

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-03 AT 01:19PM (MST)[p]Here's some pics Border sent me.... look pretty cool to me... Been showing them to my dogs... but I dont' think they get it.. :-(

katesuzielillyatbay.jpg

suzie-baying.jpg

lilly-incharge.jpg

Steve Lithgow
http://www.waycoolkennels.com

Those pictures are from Paul Laney in Maine.This guy is some hard cat hunter.I think they ended up with about 35 cats that they took this winter.They treed some others that they didnt take too.Maine has a 2 month season but the first few weeks this year were terrible conditions with no snow.

Once again I have to pick my jaw up off the floor. I know of no one around here that has that kind of success. Any one that has ever chased bobcat with dogs recognizes the dog power required to have that kind of success. My hat's off to them.

That is some impressive cat hunting. I'm lucky to get one a year and haven't done that this year. I tip my hat and my dog box to you guys.

Ed

:eek: AWESOME :eek:

When do they skin out the cats ? at the end of the season ??

I guess he is too busy hunting to take time out to skin.

Great Pictures !!!

af

My initial reaction: Those pictures are super cool!!

My second thought: Holy cow, look at all that snow!! No wonder I didn't get any winter at my place, apparently they got it all back east. Any chance they could send a bit of that back to Utah? I got a little chuckle out of the snowshoes in that picture. I'd have to pack them 3 miles up the mountain til there was enough snow to even put them on. :)

That dog in the one picture looks like my buddies black lab!! Do those dogs climb the tree and retrieve the kitties down?

Forget catching that many bobcats. I'd just love to see that many bobcat tracks in a season!!! Wow!!

Cool pictures!!

I never got up to hunt with Paul this winter.My bear guiding partner,Dale,hunted with him most every day.They had 2 days when they killed 3 cats a day.Out of the 35(I think thats the total),they treed about 17,caught 10 on the ground,and shot the rest in front of the dogs.One of his plotts just turned 3, and the other was a year old in January.That pup is a finsihed cat dog already.They let it start,run and tree some cats on its own late in the season.Neither of his dogs will open cold trailing.He goes right with the dogs when he puts them on a track so that hes right in there when they get jumped.There is a several page story on him this month in the Northwods Journal,a big sporting paper here in Maine.His dog baying a cat is on the cover.

To learn that Sue and her pup are silent on the cold trail confirms to me what I've come to believe; that the best dogs for bobcat are silent trailers. The best bobcat dog I ever hunted was also silent on track. When turned loose, you wouldn't hear a peep from him until the bobcat was jumped. It's tough to hunt a dog like that because without a tracking unit, you'd have no idea where he was most of the time. He was often several canyons away and long out of ear shot before he jumped the cat and openned up.

I think a silent track dog is an advantage on bobcat because the cat doesn't know it's being chased until the last moment. It's not that big of a deal on lion because a lion's not going to outrun the dog. Unlike bobcat, lions don't have the endurance for a long, sustained run to escape the dogs so they tree fairly easily once they're jumped. A bobcat may go for miles, however, so the closer a dog gets to the bobcat before it takes off the better the odds of catching it.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom