Bogen Tripod 3021

R

RJ

Anyone ever use one of these with a spotting scope? Any other thoughts on it?

Thanks!

I don't know what model of Bogen I have, but I love it. But, it's heavy. Packing the thing 5 miles into Wyoming was painful. Great tripod. The weigh is what makes them real good (sturdy).

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-05 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-05 AT 01:57 PM (MST)

Thanks Brian,

Another side question. (I am still interested in anyone else's thoughts on the 3021 tripod).

Sorry for my ignorance this will be my first spotting scope/tripod/head purchase. Are the head and tripod normally connected out in the field or are they put together when used?

You could do it either way. I leave the head on it. The tripod you are looking at is a good one, but it sure is big and heavy. I bought the Bogen 718SHB. It's basically a smaller and lighter version of the one you are looking at. For hunting you probably do not need a stand up tripod. Most glassing will be done while sitting on your arse.

Brian is right. Anything Bogen is good, smooth, fluid and the weight is surely a big part of it. I have used some heavy Bogens for Video but pack light cheapies for my spotting scope. I use a fixed 30X Leo in the terrain I am in, so I dont have much need for a heavy tripod for it. It isnt that hard to keep steady.

I have the bogen tripod and head and they are sturdy but heavy, I think about 5 pounds for both. The head is awesome for long times of glassing. Someone on MM told me that taking the smallest leg extensions out of the tripod will lose about 1 lb but I haven't tried it.

I keep the head and the scope attached to the tripod while hiking because they fit in my pack that way and because it takes too long to put them together.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom