Bonds beats MLB home run record

B_F_E

Long Time Member
Kind of looks like it is just a matter of time, how do you feel this will effect major league baseball ?

I expect more negative than positive on this one so I'm probably in the minority. He's never been caught doing anything wrong. There is no doubt that his body changed from "94" to "01" but steroids weren't even illegal in MLB at that time nor were they tested for. Do you think he's been tested in the last 3 years? Probably more than anyone. I think Barry's the best true ball player of all time, hit for average, power, speed, OBP and don't forget his 8-9 Gold Gloves. He hit .378 at 38-39 years old. Nobodies hit that high in the last 20 years, even the youngsters. He's hitting over .350 now and the home runs he hit the last 2 days won both games for the Giants. For several years until I got sattelite, I thought he couldn't hit in the clutch cause he'd hit 40+ home runs and never get 100 RBIs. When I started watching their games, he never got anything to hit. I've seen managers walk him intentionally with the bases loaded rather than pitch to him. Granted this was in ideal situtations with 2 run leads in the last inning but thats respect no matter the circumstances.

I believe all of the career records being made these days need an asterek. With surgery, how long could Koufax have pitched? Eddie Murray hit 500+ home runs and is in the Hall but he retired because of his eyes at age 38. Now days he'd get Lasik surgery and hit til his mid 40"s.

I SUPPOSE IT WILL BE JUST LIKE SOMEBODY HERE AT MM TAKING A TROPHY ANIMAL!!!

THERE WILL BE PEOPLE PICKING HIM APART!!!

EVERYTHING WAS O.K. UNTIL THE RECORD WAS BROKEN & THEN WATCH THE HELL OUT!!!

THE ONLY bobcat!!! }> }> }>

BONDS HAS THE BEST SWING IN THE GAME, HIS CAREER WILL BE CLOSE TO 20 YEARS, IS BLESSED WITH TREMENDOUS HAND/EYE COORDINATION, WORKS HARD, & HAS PAID THE PRICE.....HE WILL BE THE MAN. (AND I'M NOT EVEN A GIANTS FAN).---YD.

the man does have a sweet swing, his mechanics weren't acquired with steroids..... love or hate the guy one cannot deny he is a great player.

Can't say I much care about the Giants or Bonds , but I agree he has a great swing , has tremendous vision and simply hammers the ball. He will break the record though the MLB will not recognize it as it should be honored.Until they ever prove he did anything illegal , he will be known as the home run king, but the juice will always shadow his name....

YEA.....BUT HE STILL GOES STRAIGHT TO THE HALL OF FAME, AND PETE ROSE JUST HAS TO WATCH. IF I WAS ROSE I'D TELLEM ......IF THEY INDUCTED ME, "TO GO TO HELL".----YD.

He is an absolute great athlete, no matter what angle you look at it. Of course you will have the negative opinions, but steroids can't do everthing for him, that is if he ever did take them.

YEA....BARRY HAS AN ATTITUDE.....BUT ITS PART OF THE REASON HE IS WHO HE IS...AND HE'S DONE WHAT HE'S DONE.-----YD.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-07 AT 01:31PM (MST)[p]>
>
>BONDS HAS THE BEST SWING
>IN THE GAME, HIS
>CAREER WILL BE CLOSE TO
> 20 YEARS, IS BLESSED
>WITH TREMENDOUS HAND/EYE COORDINATION,
>WORKS HARD, & HAS PAID
>THE PRICE.....HE WILL BE THE
>MAN. (AND I'M
>NOT EVEN A GIANTS FAN).---YD.
>

Well said and I hate the Giants..........

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-07 AT 02:23PM (MST)[p]He is the greatest baseball player of all time IMO. Regardless if he took steriods or not, steroids don't make you a better ball player. Will steroids make you stronger? Yes. Will steroids help you hit a 90 MPH fastball and win numerous gold gloves? Nope. I'm not saying steroids didn't contribute to aiding some of his home runs. But expansion and smaller ball parks aided as well.

Bottom line, Bonds is one of the greatest athletes of all time.
His name belongs up there with Jordan, Ali, and Woods.

My son has Bonds' 87 rookie card. HT. 6'1 WT. 185...... I don't know what he weighs now, but I'm guessing he weighs around 230.

Hitters weren't the only ones juicing.....A pitcher on the 'roids throwing a little white ball to a batter on 'roids. a home run is a home run! And i hope that we wont have to hash this out for the next year. Just the next 42 1/2 weeks would be great.

A lot of baseball fans and reporters are less than enthusiastic about Bonds breaking the all time HR record. If he breaks it on the road, I would expect lots of BOOS! It's partly the steroids thing, but also he's a pr!ck. He has to have his own private suite while on the road. Not exactly the ideal "team player"

He has real good hand/eye coordination. I wish he would use it to go to the opposite field once in awhile. I mean for just a base hit. His ego won't let him.

He's the only player in history to have 500 HR and 500 stolen bases. Amazing!

I wish I could catch the record breaking HR ball!:)

I WAS SURPRISED THAT CAL RIPKEN ALSO STAYED WITH HIS FAMILY IN SEPERATE HOTELS WHEN ON THE ROAD. I WAS IN ISSAQUA WASHINGTON AND TALKED TO HIM IN A HOTEL WAY OUT OF SEATTLE, HE WAS KIND OF RUDE. I THINK FANS WERE BUGGING HIM AT THE TIME.---YD.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-07 AT 05:54PM (MST)[p]Barry Bonds is the greatest hitter of all time. Sweetest most compact swing I have ever seen. Even better than Will Clark. Also, he has hit all of these home runs in the National League, where he has to play in the field. He is not a has been DH. Oh by the way I out weigh my 18 year old self by about 50 pounds, And I am not fat, just filled out. How many of you Bond bashers weigh less now than you did when you were 18, HUH?

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-07
>AT 05:54 PM (MST)

>
>Barry Bonds is the greatest hitter
>of all time. Sweetest
>most compact swing I have
>ever seen. Even better
>than Will Clark. Also, he
>has hit all of these
>home runs in the National
>League, where he has to
>play in the field.
>He is not a has
>been DH. Oh by
>the way I out weigh
>my 18 year old self
>by about 50 pounds, And
>I am not fat, just
>filled out. How many
>of you Bond bashers weigh
>less now than you did
>when you were 18, HUH?
>

Not me, but I didn't testify to a grand jury that I took steroids either.

No doubt about it, great, great ballplayer. One of, if not the quickest bats in the game. Gold Gloves, MVP's you name it. But it's when all of that stuff wasn't good enough for him that causes me not to pull for him. I don't care if he is a jerk to the media, that doesn't bother me. He just couldn't stand the fact that he wasn't the center of attention and needed to do something to get the attention, IE steroids.

If there is any shadow of a doubt in anyone's mind whether or not he did steroids you are fooling yourself. Heavy workout programs don't put on the mass that he did over a few years. Especially when you played your first 8-10 years around the same size. And I don't agree with "pitchers used them too." Two wrongs don't make a right. And his wrong is about to break one of the most prestigious records in all of sports, and I don't think "well Johnny did it too" cuts it.

Look at his stats. Prior to 2000, when it is suspected that he started taking them, his highest home run total was 46 (that is 13 years in the league.) Then for the next 5 years his lowest total was 45, and that is with a lot less at bats than he averaged over his first 13 years in the league.

So no doubt about it. He was well on his way to being a first ballot hall of famer, and one of the best players ever. But that wasn't good enough for him and now I hope he not only gets an asterisk next to his name, but italicize it, bold it, and put it in red with a postscript that says, "but he cheated."

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-07 AT 01:53AM (MST)[p]AND THE WWF IS REAL,
You still have to hit the ball with an bat.....
you guys are still believing the roid factor has mad him a better career slugger.... maybe two years tops!
let test "AROD" and Lance and all though who fish for king crab on deadliest catch on TV(THOSE GUYS ARE SO CRANKED UP!!).
COME ON ITS ENTERTANMENT!
BESIDE DO WE REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHOS CHEATED....
RM

I guess to those that just watch the game to see the ball fly over the fence, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Bonds is a prima-donna. Can't admit he made mistakes. Was caught doing speed last summer and blamed it on a team mate. What a crock. One of the laziest players I've seen play. Was at a game last week when an over-throw to third went into shallow left field. He never took a step to go get the ball. The third baseman had to get it. Hustles only when it matters to him. Notice when Canseco did his 40-40 thing, Barry did his. Not Barry first. Threw a hissy-fit when McGuire came to town the year he and Sosa were battling it out and they were giving Mark special security during bp. Notice when one of the other Giant's does well or hits a homer that Barry isn't in the crowd high-fiving? The game does not owe Barry nothing. Something I think he should realize.

>A lot of baseball fans and
>reporters are less than enthusiastic
>about Bonds breaking the all
>time HR record.

I think that is his motivation at this point, all those reporters who have crucified him over the years will be pouting for the rest of their miserable lives.

Hit #741 tonight, passed Willie Mac on alltime Giants RBI list, now he's #1, Passed Pete Rose into #5 alltime on runs scored. All this in one at bat.

I probably see Barry 120 times a year either in person or on the tube and I'm glad when he doesn't run out a routine grounder. Any other player I'd be on their A$$ but I'd rather have a loafing Barry in the lineup anyday than a Barry on the DL. He's fricking 42 and I have seen him turn it up in game winning situations including crashing the fence.

As far as the media goes, I wish I could tell them to go to hell but he does that for me! Their sorry A$$es will still vote him in first ballot.

screw those guys and gals.... every major sports has fans that boo heroes...think about it.. some even spit on them like G.I.'s who just come back form combat.. remember that? I do!!! those I hope rot in HELL! HECKLE BONDS NO PROBLEM.. He will still shatter the record...And be a first vote "Hall Of Famer"!
I love Bonds and he done far more for baseball than baseball doing for him!
rackmaster

Regardless of what you do or don't believe he did, he's probably the greatest hitter of all time. Even back in his early career days, he was hitting balls deep out of parks, driving balls to places that nobody had seen balls land before.

When it comes to his place in history, the opinions that matter the most to me are those expressed by players in the game. I've heard more than a few current and former players talk about him, and all I ever hear is reverence for his ability. Most guys just shake their heads when they talk about how good he still is, and always has been.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom