Bono bivy for 15’s

elkhuntin247

Going to AK on a moose drop and needing to cut gear weight. We are quickly finding out how little 50 lbs of gear and food is. I usually have my 10’s around my neck and 15’s and spotter in the backpack for glassing off the tripod. I don’t want to give up the spotter so I’m thinking about using my 15’s as my chest binos and leaving the 10’s at home. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about this? Also they are too large to fit in my bino bivy. What do you recommend for Swarovski 15x56 slc on the chest? Thanks for any info.

I am totally attached to my Swaro 15s. I can look through them all day without eye problems. I leave the spotter out and only have my 10s/range finder on my chest.
Fortunately I always hunt with my son, who is younger and carries an 88mm Kowa spotter. Between the two of us we are covered.
If you have a buddy with you, splitting the weight is the easiest way to "slim down". I'm guessing you aren't solo in AK so you might consider that option.

Do you need a spotter for moose?

what say you SS? I’d think I could glass up a moose with 10 power binos. Certainly if I was cutting weight

Try this guy for a bino hub…
ADC88997-C935-4254-A576-8B9BC88E5E1C.jpeg

I definitely don’t need the spotter but always feel lost without it. This is a first time moose trip for me so I thought the spotter would be helpful to judge 50” or 4 brow points. I’m looking to hopefully find good elevated vantage points and do a lot of glassing. I’m a little worried the 15’s will be heavy and clumsy while hiking on my chest but feel I need something for quick access if needed.

Don’t get me wrong. I always have a 85 mm spotter on me deer hunting or rifle hunting elk/bear. But I’ve glassed moose here in Idaho through my 10x binos and they were pretty easy to look over much less find. With weight restrictions on a fly in hunt I know I’d spend those pounds elsewhere. Depend on where your hunting itd primly be some thigh high waders

I carry my 15x SLC in the KUIU XL harness all the time. I don't even remember the last time I took my 10x50s.

I've gotten to where I glass with my 15s and if there is thick enough timber that I won't want the 15s while hiking, I put the CL 8x30 in the harness and the 15's in my pack until I stop to glass.

Unless you're really hunting a particular score, I don't know that I'd take the 88 Kowa to Alaska for moose. I've got one and they're awesome, but they're big and heavy. I have the 554 and it's a great compromise when weight is important.

I don't know about your hunt, but my moose hunt up there was the type that if the bull was so far away you needed a spotter, you weren't going to go after it anyway

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom