Bonus Point Report

sagebrush

Very Active Member
Maybe I'm just dense, but I can't make sense out of the elk bonus point report this year. The numbers just don't add up in my mind. Many of the units are out of wack, yet in some units, the numbers add up. The total number of applications is less than the amount of residents + non-residents? The total number of tags issued is less than the number of tags in the regs? Where am I going wrong?

You are probably correct. I have a hunterstrailhead hunting odds subscription. I was talking to the owner via email and was asking when the 2022 AZ draw odds would be updated. He told me he was having a heck of a time making sense with the reports from AZGFD. They didn't make sense numerically or statistically. He even told G&F about this, and he could never get an answer, so he just published what they had in their reports.

I know for sure that one unit makes absolutely no sense. G&F reports say all but one person who had a certain number of points drew a tag but when you run the report with numbers it comes to 47% drew that had that many points.

Like @Squaw stated make sure your on the right years regs and hunt codes.

I will say there are some situations that don’t make sense on the report. Showing people drawing in the bonus pass much lower. Even if they grouped with the highest bonus point holder they still wouldn’t have been in the bonus.

Love AZs draw but they got some funk for sure.

I think being able to draw 1st or 2nd choice in the first round makes it hard to figure. It can look like a higher bp holder got passed and a lower number drew in the BP round. The higher point holder likely drew a different unit. I think I got close on max points needed last year on some nonresident units I looked up.

I'd love an audit of azgfd draw department to see how many tags are going to people that shouldn't be getting tags. Their draw reports constantly have random people drawing bonus pass tags with way less points than several residents that get passed over with more points. I'm sure Randy Newberg and all those YouTube dudes like the system though.

It looking at 1/2 choice makes no difference

The hunt I’m referencing a 12 BP non res drew a tag skipping over 180 people with at or more bonus points. Even if he was grouped with the person with 25 that averages him at 19 points.

There were 26 people ahead of that “group” with higher bonus points on their first and second choice.

My guess is the reports are a mess but it makes you wonder.

1673738461174.png

Look at 3001 with 0 points. Total applicants 1 & 2 choices = 981, residents = 705, non-residents = 360. That should be 1,065 total applicants. I know how to match the report with the correct regulations. Apparently, I no longer know how to add.

Look at 3001 with 0 points. Total applicants 1 & 2 choices = 981, residents = 705, non-residents = 360. That should be 1,065 total applicants. I know how to match the report with the correct regulations. Apparently, I no longer know how to add.
It’s that new age math , it’s close enough. I’m dreading my kids going to school.

Remember it’s Arizona.
The absolute worst state to get anything from.
They’re the King of incompetence for draws,statistics or anything else.They are just coming out of the dark ages.
I think they truly just learned what a computer is just a couple years ago.
But they still don’t know how to use one.

Yep. They can be confusing. A few years ago, I was on the phone with AZGFD with draw questions. Whoever I talked to explained some of it to me. Maybe I wrote it down on my printout. I'll look.

Maybe they used Persons for the Res and Non-Res columns. But for the total column, they counted groups only 1x, not each individual person. Total is always LOWER than one would expect.

Don’t ask me why they would do something like that.

But yes, never trust AZ GFD when it comes to data, draws, software, ethics, etc…

Remember, in 2021, they’re the folks that did their draw and then sat on the results for weeks while trying to figure out their own data. Then did a second CC update deadline. They never did publicly explain what happened in any detail.

each matching column adds correctly, I suspect they're removing apps from the column totals for some reason ie: 1st choice res + 1st choice nr doesn't = total res/nr

but, 1st choice res + 2nd choice res = total 1/2 res

a call to licensing will get you the answer

each matching column adds correctly, I suspect they're removing apps from the column totals for some reason ie: 1st choice res + 1st choice nr doesn't = total res/nr

No it won't. I've called before to ask about discrepancies and they say they'll look into it and then I get ignored. They have no accountability or oversight on their draw and they do as they please.

I agree, each column adds up correctly, but, for some units, the total number of tags issued doesn't add up to the total number of tags available and there were no 3-5 round or left over tags, others match. I just want reliable information for decision making purposes.

No it won't. I've called before to ask about discrepancies and they say they'll look into it and then I get ignored. They have no accountability or oversight on their draw and they do as they please.

I normally talk to the gal that creates the report if I have a report issue. Don’t remember her name at the moment.

If you were thinking of Amber Munig she retired Jan. 4th.
Interesting. I didn't know that. She was always very responsive to any messages I sent her over the years. She would go into great detail wither her responses and explain things thoroughly. I found her to be very professional. Don't mean to sidetrack conversation but who is her replacement?

Yep. They can be confusing. A few years ago, I was on the phone with AZGFD with draw questions. Whoever I talked to explained some of it to me. Maybe I wrote it down on my printout. I'll look.
I remember writing it on the report, but I've trashed them.

It looking at 1/2 choice makes no difference

The hunt I’m referencing a 12 BP non res drew a tag skipping over 180 people with at or more bonus points. Even if he was grouped with the person with 25 that averages him at 19 points.

There were 26 people ahead of that “group” with higher bonus points on their first and second choice.

My guess is the reports are a mess but it makes you wonder.
It was probably a NR lifetime license holder that drew it out of the resident pool and had enough points for max. I drew tag 1 of 1 for desert sheep this year as a NR with my lifetime license so it will show up that a NR got a one tag unit tag on the draw report.

Interesting. I didn't know that. She was always very responsive to any messages I sent her over the years. She would go into great detail wither her responses and explain things thoroughly. I found her to be very professional. Don't mean to sidetrack conversation but who is her replacement?
Callie Cavalcant

It was probably a NR lifetime license holder that drew it out of the resident pool and had enough points for max. I drew tag 1 of 1 for desert sheep this year as a NR with my lifetime license so it will show up that a NR got a one tag unit tag on the draw report.
Haha that's great to know because several people I know were pissed a "NR" pulled off drawing a 1 unit tag. I'll have to tell them nr with lifetime license still show up as NR.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom