Book Cliffs Archery Deer

Bowhiker

I drew the Book Cliffs Archery Deer tag and am pretty excited as my son will be able to head out with me before he begins his first year of college. Hows the moisture been these last few months?

I drew the Book Cliffs Archery Deer tag and am pretty excited as my son will be able to head out with me before he begins his first year of college. Hows the moisture been these last few months?
The last few months? Poor! We started our winter off looking like last year and last year was a banner year. The moisture we need most is the February to May stuff and we got hardly any if any at all. The water managers have already gone on record saying we might be in trouble this year and back to western drought conditions.

One of the driest springs we've had in a long time especially April and may if things don't change it's going to be a tough year

It's really dry and dusty out here right now. Things are starting to green up, but if we don't get more rain it won't last long.

that place is a joke, way better general units in the states in my opinion. Especially that don't take 11 years to draw. Had the tag 3 years ago and turned it back in greatest decision of my life. If you are looking to kill a two,three or very small four point then ok but it's a long ways to drive depending where you live.

Is that so jasonb22? The deer are there. Hunt and you will find them. My opinion is the archery Hunt is the best time to kill the bigger bucks on the unit.
Bookcliffs # 11.JPG

Is that so jasonb22? The deer are there. Hunt and you will find them. My opinion is the archery Hunt is the best time to kill the bigger bucks on the unit.View attachment 7333
Haha I scouted all summer and didn't see what I liked. I'm Sure if you know the unit better then others you can find 190/200 but I was after something big. All I found was 120"-150" class bucks that you can kill on general with one point lmao like I said I have killed way better class bucks then I seen!!

I cant wait to get out there. It's going to be a damn good time for sure. I plan to have both of my sons out there with me so there wont be any issues packing one out of the roadless country. I hope to get a few scouting trips in over the next couple of months. Its a long way out there from where I live but it's all a part of the experience...hard work and preparation always makes for a good pay off.

had the muzzy tag in 2015 and was a awesome hunt. I hunted exclusively in the roadless area and saw a ton of bucks including 3 that I woulda shot day 1. One was pushing 190 his buddy was around 180 ish and I also saw a giant 3 with no fronts, but huge forks and mass. I never turned those bucks up again when season opened 2 days later.

I hunted the archery deer season a few years ago. I had never been one the unit before drawing the tag. I made one scouting trip and hunted the first 10 days. Saw probably 200 bucks. Found 5 bucks over 160 and missed one buck over 180 and another around 170. It was a great hunt. I would be happy to tell you what i know and where i was hunting. Send me a PM

Be aware,
HUGE drop of deer and elk numbers the last two years.

Just a heads up.

Prediction collar study was 81% loss on collared game.

Plus wild horses and Buff causing problems on winter grounds.
Not good

I just wanted to thank everyone for the information on the Books. I had a great time, seen a ton of deer and seen some damn good bucks. I was mostly hunting the roadless areas and found a great buck that I eventually hunted for 10 days. I had a couple of close encounters with him but due to him being beyond my confort zone of shooting or just behind some tall brush, I was unable to harvest the Giant. I had several opportunities on some nice bucks but chose to hold out for THE ONE. One of the funnest mule deer hunts I have been on. I ended up making 2 trips back there totalling 3200 miles driven for both trips. Definitely worth it. The first was my planned trip of arriving 3 days before the hunt started and stayed 12 days. On day 9 of the first trip I found the big 6x4. Unfortunately I had to leave and get back to work. I only worked 3 days and decided to take another few days off and made the second trip. I left right after work and drove all night to get back in the game. The first set up with very little sleep found me staring right at the 6x4. I continued to hunt him for another 7 days with several different stalks on that buck. Unfortunately that bad boy is still out there but fortunately he is out there to reproduce or provide someone else with the same awesome experience he provided me. I had the time of my life. Thank you all.

Now off to my Nevada Muzzy hunt with my youngest in tow.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom