book cliffs cow elk muzzy

goforbroke

Taking my father in law on the book cliffs cow elk muzzle loader hunt. Headed up Halloween and hunting a few days. I have never been on the unit. Planning on taking a trailer to camp in and rzr/truck to drive around in. He is 72 and had a stroke a few years ago. He can get a round slowly, but has a hard time lifting his left leg so I will need to stay within a mile of the road. He hasn't harvested an elk in almost 20 years. We were chatting about life around application time and he talked about trying to do one more elk hunt. I figured cow elk is possible and the book cliffs looked to have a higher than average success rate and he had several bonus points. I have been busy with life and haven't done any scouting trips. I am hoping someone might have a few pointers of where to start. Appreciate any help. Good news is, He will enjoy just being out even if we have no success and I am excited to see the book cliffs.

We saw a few elk on my brother's bison hunt down there last year. I'll PM you some of the details. Hope it helps!

While hunting bison there November 2018, I saw several herds right off the divide road. Had to literally stop the truck on 2 occasions for elk to get out of the way. Shouldn’t be too tough I don’t think

deerkiller, trying to find/know what or where divide road is. Looks like seep ridge rd is the main road I'll take to drive up, where is divide road? on the dwr hunt planner is divide rd where seep ridge rd ends and they call it book cliffs rd?

Thanks

If You Drive South on the Seep Ridge Road to the Top You can Go East or West!

That is the Divide Road!

I'd Bet Deerkiller was down on the West End!

But You're Apt to Find Elk about anywhere by now!

They've been Hunted Hard!

deerkiller, trying to find/know what or where divide road is. Looks like seep ridge rd is the main road I'll take to drive up, where is divide road? on the dwr hunt planner is divide rd where seep ridge rd ends and they call it book cliffs rd?

Thanks

Yes the divide road is also called book cliff ridge road and runs east and west. Seep Ridge road will take you right to it. Best of luck out there!!

Just wanted to give an update. Thanks to all those that reached out. It helped to have a few places to start and always nice to hear others talk about their special places.

We had a great hunt. I enjoyed exploring a new unit. The weather was warm and elk tended to be up high, but found them everywhere we looked. We had several elk encounters, and saw a few bulls, but nothing over 300". In the end - father time won. My father-in-law was always a little bit too slow to get on the elk, to tired to hike, or couldn't see them when they are 100 yards away. In the end he gave me a hug and a heartfelt thank you for what was likely his last elk hunt. Always great to spend a few days chasing elk.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom