Book Cliffs Elk

_gloomis

Made a quick trip to the Books yesterday. Saw a few elk and captured this guy through my spotter. I wouldn't consider him a shooter but was wondering how he compares to Books bulls.

Sorry for the shaky video, busted the adapter on my tripod so I had to wing it.

What you guys think?

https://youtu.be/k8atKh89Gu8

_gloomis

Its like someone chopped the tops off his antlers. He's massive all the way back, has good fronts, but his 4ths and 5ths are just "chopped off".

I imagine that he's one to consider if no bigger ones show up though. He's still a mature 6x6 bull.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Much better bulls to be had on the Books. It's tough this time of year if you don't know the area well. In another month there will be bulls like that running everywhere on top chasing cows. If you aren't seeing a bunch of bulls right now, don't panic. Unless you have an archery tag, just find the cows and the bulls will be there when it's time.

I agree with Browning, good 1-3 then dies off. I would keep looking if it was me, there are better bulls you will be surprised how much more comes out as the rut heats up.

Agreed. I will continue looking. Hope you all are right about the bulls coming out when the rut gets underway. Getting anxious to say the least.

_gloomis

Big Bulls are the last to come out, they wait till the cows are ready for them ;)

I shot a bull that looked like the one in the video with good fronts and main beams but short back tines. It went 301". If you're good with that then shoot. Its your tag.

On my brother's hunt in 2011 we were down over Labor day scouting and I think we saw one bull. So we were thinking the same thing. But then when we got there for the hunt it was a completely different story. Did you see the rest of my post in the HAC?

Stillwaitin, I just finished reading your last post int he HAC. As I understand, this is your dads bull from last year on the Books? Wow, that is a stud. What did he score?

I am getting so fired up about this hunt that I can barely focus on work.

_gloomis

I know what you mean, yes it was my dad's bull from the Books last year. I know what you mean, I am having the same problem getting ready for my Manti hunt. Good luck!

3851image.jpg

This Book Cliffs bull was screaming his guts out last night and wouldn't leave his 2 cows.

Saw 5 smaller bulls that didn't have cows.

I'd say that's a shooter in my book. Would love to see him on the muzzy opener.

He only had 2 cows? Sounds like they haven't rounded up their harem yet.

_gloomis

Well I'll be headed out Friday in preparation for the muzzy hunt that opens on Monday. Saw a few good Bulls come off the unit already and can't wait to get my chance.

I have a game plan for next week but any last minute advice from anyone would be great. I'll share my story with you all (hopefully with pics) when I return.

Happy Hunting
_gloomis

Best of luck, hope you have a great hunt! I will be looking forward to hearing about it, and seeing the pics!! I am getting pretty excited about my late rifle hunt in the Book Cliffs!

+1 where are the pictures and story.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Sorry I haven't shared my experience yet. I can tell you I was successful in filling my tag. Not the caliber of bull I was hoping for but successful nonetheless. I'll post pics and story this weekend when I get a minute.

Thanks to all that provided input to my inquiries.

_gloomis

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-15 AT 11:37PM (MST)[p]Had an awesome experience chasing elk on the Book Cliffs with my muzzle loader. Hunted hard for 5 days and saw some beautiful country and wildlife, including this nice black bear at 100 yards.

5174nms05574.jpg

With the temperatures around 80? all week, we were having a difficult time locating bulls as they would be in the timber 20 minutes after light and wouldn't come out until just before dark and the rut was very soft. We located a herd of elk and sneaked to within 300 yards which is of course out of muzzy range (for me anyway). Bugled and raked a tree to get him to close the distance. I was lucky enough to make a 219 yard shot through the front shoulder and the rest is history.

6513fb2.jpg

3434fb1.jpg

7513fb3.jpg

He's not the caliber of bull that I was hoping for and not my best but he'll do just fine.

Thanks to all who were willing to share your knowledge of the Books. Monster Mulies is a great resource for hunting information.

Oh yea in case your wondering, I took a pretty good spill on the ATV earlier in the week (hence the jacked up nose).

_gloomis

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom