Book Cliffs Muzzloader

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum thing. Figured i'd jump on and see if anyone was willing to help me with some scouting ideas for the Book Cliffs Unit. I drew the muzzloader tag, if anyone has a elk tag or later season tag for deer i'd be more then willing to swap info

Hey Challis. Congrats on the tag. During the Muzzy hunt the majority of the deer are still "on top" of the Book Cliffs. This means you can still find them from the Divide Road and any road leading from it. They are harder to spot having changed to gray, so you will need to sit at glassing points and really scope out a good area. Believe me, they are there. Once you put up binos, they seem to be everywhere. I had the Multi-Season tag in 2016. I hunted 4 days during the Muzzy hunt. The two best 4-points I saw were admittedly only about 150" bucks, plus some character cheaters. The truly best buck I saw was a 3x4 and his 4 side had just a 4 inch G4. Otherwise, he was a heavy, 27" wide and very tall buck. When I watch the video back of him, I wonder why I didn't shoot him. LOL

Admittedly, I wasn't hunting too hard because I knew I still had my rifle tag in my back pocket. It's a fun hunt, and if you're into calling in bull elk for fun, you can try some of that while you're there too...

Let me know if you need any other direction... I'd be happy to help

Challis, I have the same tag. BR is right, I have been out there for a number of hunts now and he is spot on. Most of the hunts I have been on were elk, but we have always seen plenty of deer up top. I am super excited for this hunt, so hopefully we will see you down there and can compare notes. Feel free to shoot me a PM any time.

Hey Challis. Congrats on the tag. During the Muzzy hunt the majority of the deer are still "on top" of the Book Cliffs. This means you can still find them from the Divide Road and any road leading from it. They are harder to spot having changed to gray, so you will need to sit at glassing points and really scope out a good area. Believe me, they are there. Once you put up binos, they seem to be everywhere. I had the Multi-Season tag in 2016. I hunted 4 days during the Muzzy hunt. The two best 4-points I saw were admittedly only about 150" bucks, plus some character cheaters. The truly best buck I saw was a 3x4 and his 4 side had just a 4 inch G4. Otherwise, he was a heavy, 27" wide and very tall buck. When I watch the video back of him, I wonder why I didn't shoot him. LOL

Admittedly, I wasn't hunting too hard because I knew I still had my rifle tag in my back pocket. It's a fun hunt, and if you're into calling in bull elk for fun, you can try some of that while you're there too...

Let me know if you need any other direction... I'd be happy to help
Okay awesome! Thanks so much for your intel, Hoping to turn up a couple of bucks like the one you were talking about

Challis, I have the same tag. BR is right, I have been out there for a number of hunts now and he is spot on. Most of the hunts I have been on were elk, but we have always seen plenty of deer up top. I am super excited for this hunt, so hopefully we will see you down there and can compare notes. Feel free to shoot me a PM any time.
Okay great after I get a couple scouting trips in I’ll shoot you a pm and maybe we can work together a little and help each other out

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom