Book Cliffs, South

RRidgeback

Well I got lucky again this year and pulled another LE tag. 2 LE tags and a OIL Goat tag in the last 4 years. Anybody need any luck? I may not draw another tag for 20 years or so now. I've hunted sheep on the unit several years ago and so a lot of big mature deer but that was during the rut. For the members that have been down there, how is it looking in the last couple years?

My friend had a deer tag down there last year and we/he saw one shooter the whole time. We weren't able to scout since he got it with 0 points from someone who turned in their tag pretty close to before the hunt started. All he was looking for was a respectable 4 point and they were few and far between. The deer numbers are down for sure. It seems like most the hunters will drive the roads hoping to see a big buck off the road. Towards the last of the hunt the other hunters were starting to just shoot any half decent buck they could see off the road. It seems like the deer down here have the genetics of crabby fronts. Most the bucks we saw either had weak or crabby fronts or weak backs. So when you find one that looks good, shoot him and don't think twice. The book cliffs are for sure going down hill but if you put in the work and scout then you'll find a good one. We can tell you where we were seeing the deer if you want to message me. Its a fun but hard unit for sure. You'll more then likely see some elk and maybe buffalo while your down there so that's bonus.

I hunted the BC South for deer last year. My first Utah draw after 22 years of applying. The two outfitters, and the numerous hunters I talked with all said the same thing: this is the worst year ever. It was hot and dry and a short little 9 days season. Most of what Utah DNR told me was flat wrong (see 30-40bucks per day. ha). But having said all the negative, the positive was that I had a great hunt, saw deer daily including 3 that were ,rifle shooters. And, I harvested a medium buck with my flintlock....a first for me with deer. I am not a Utahn, so others may know this area better than me. But if you PM me, I will tell you where I saw deer, and where I killed mine...........good hunting ..WWB

My Book Cliff South deer taken with the mechanical coal burner.....wwb

IMG_8768.PNG

I always recommend spending some days in the summer looking over deer up high. They won't be there in October, but you'll get an idea of what to expect during your hunt.

Because this is a migratory unit, I don't doubt last year was tough with warm weather. With the late dates this year, Hold out. Enjoy the area as there is no other like it. Comb through deer. I bet on day 7 or 8, a big boy will have wandered down the canyon and you'll find him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom