Book Cliffs

CS88

Went to the Book Cliffs and had a good hunt. Deer tapes out over 200”. Kinda fun. We found him on some water trying to get back to his hole.

3E047CC2-F7C6-4FAC-916F-568ED4AE6968.jpeg

I don’t know why the book cliffs doesn’t get any love. That’s a great buck, but it doesn’t surprise me at all. I’ve seen several great bucks taken off the unit in the last few years. Many of best bucks taken off the book cliffs never make the internet.

Hi guys. I only post the score sheet because I’ve never shot a 200” deer and I dont like people doubting my word. Here y’all go. I get that there are lots of pros on this website. For me, it was fun seeing one of these bucks go down. Yes pictures can be deceiving both ways. I hate hearing people tell me that a 180” buck is big. My goal has always been 200” and when you see this buck in person it’s just different. 200” is just very different. Like I said. It was a fun hunt and the 200” was fun too.

Never post a score on MM. Ask for opinions then sit back and enjoy the fun. You know the score (whether it matters or not) congrats on a great Bookcliffs buck!

I’m gonna go ahead and agree with you. The BS and the peanut gallery is part of what makes this place fun. I can take the heat. I got nothing to hide. It’s all good on my end.

Well, since you brought it up, does that sheet of scratch paper indicate that your taxidermist documented that the G1’s are 4” each? I’m having a bit of trouble following it.
Yes. 4” eye gaurds. Measure across to where it makes an inch and then up from there. He had some really cool eye gaurds. Not sure if that pic shows them but they are gnarly as can be.

Great buck! I never score anything I kill, never entered anything in the book......I've also never been disappointed when it isn't as "big" as I thought it was. That is a neat buck congrats again!

Thank you. Let’s be clear tho. My best friend shot it and I was just lucky enough to see it all happen. It was a lot of fun. Walking up to it was the best part.

Hi guys. I only post the score sheet because I’ve never shot a 200” deer and I dont like people doubting my word. Here y’all go. I get that there are lots of pros on this website. For me, it was fun seeing one of these bucks go down. Yes pictures can be deceiving both ways. I hate hearing people tell me that a 180” buck is big. My goal has always been 200” and when you see this buck in person it’s just different. 200” is just very different. Like I said. It was a fun hunt and the 200” was fun too.

Awesome buck! But I cant wait to get to a point when I can say a 180" buck isn't big.....

Once again, that is a beautiful buck and congrats to the lucky hunter. I would be excited to kill a buck like that on most any unit.

That being said, I just don’t see 200” - much less 216”. But I’ve been wrong before. While hunting this fall, I hope I underestimate a buck on the hoof only to find out he is much bigger than I thought. I usually have just the opposite happen - ground shrinkage. Thanks for sharing.

Hawkeye

Once again, that is a beautiful buck and congrats to the lucky hunter. I would be excited to kill a buck like that on most any unit.

That being said, I just don’t see 200” - much less 216”. But I’ve been wrong before. While hunting this fall, I hope I underestimate a buck on the hoof only to find out he is much bigger than I thought. I usually have just the opposite happen - ground shrinkage. Thanks for sharing.

Hawkeye
Usually the exact same thing happens to me. But the opposite happened this time. It got much bigger when we got up to it. I guess 2 head lamps at 10 pm and an old iPhone 8 don’t make for the best photos. 200” has always been my goal and I’m still way off. But it was fun to see my friend get one.

Stud buck. I've spent a lot of time in the Book Cliffs and though this buck's missing the deep forks some are looking for in a 200" buck, it's got a huge frame that is not well displayed in this photo. 25" inside spread, and over 25" beams..? That's a huge framed buck. Biggest one I've ever seen from the Books.

Another thing about this buck is its a Muzzy buck when they basically look skinny because of their fine hair, and he's turned so we can't see his body which I'm guessing is quite large. What a beast! Thanks for sharing.!

I don’t know why the book cliffs doesn’t get any love. That’s a great buck, but it doesn’t surprise me at all. I’ve seen several great bucks taken off the unit in the last few years. Many of best bucks taken off the book cliffs never make the internet.
It's because people don't want the point creek to keep going up on the unit. Best way to slow down point creep, tell everyone how crappy the unit is! ;)

Nice work man!!! And great buck, I had the same tag and it was hard press to find alot of real big deer. I ended up shooting a 162 buck, and I was happy with that! It was hard to find anything much bigger
Nice buck. We really struggled the first couple of days. We ended up ditching the UTV and hiked into a canyon a couple miles kinda out in the lower elevation.

Guys, I too am having a hard time seeing 200 by looking at the picture because there’s not much reference to compare to but if you go back to the scratch pad score sheet then look at the picture again, I‘m thinking the numbers jive pretty good? CS, maybe you have a few more pics with different angles to show? Either way, that buck has a giant frame, congrats.

I significantly underscored that buck based upon the initial field photo but I certainly meant no disrespect to the hunter. That is a beautiful trophy. Thanks for sharing CS88 and congrats to your buddy on a great buck!

Hawkeye

Guys. My original guess for the buck was 204” and the taxidermists was 198”. With that being said, we measured and then remeasured. We originally got 216” gross. Then took it to the official B&C Measurer and got 217 5/8”. Like I said before the deer is just different. I’m happy to share this info because like everyone else here I’m always trying to guess a bucks score.

Nice 180 buck but not 200. Probably one of the bigger bucks taken on the bookcliffs this year. The Book cliffs are definitely an opportunity hunt and not a trophy hunt. Any body that draws that unit should expect 160 and be very happy if they find something better!

Curious how wide that buck is just at his widest point for reference? 40+ inches of mass and a few extras can put an 190 looking buck over the top real quick. Good mass also tends to make tine length look smaller. I can see this buck going over 200, though my first instinct was that I didn't think he would.

Heck of buck that would be getting killed on any hunt I will ever go on, that's for sure. Congrats.

I would love to this this buck in person. I spend a lot of time in the Book Cliffs and I am always excited to see Book Cliffs Bucks and Bulls. Hopefully Monarch Mountain will have this Buck at the expo, he usually has a handful of mounts there. He does Good Work. Plus Book Cliffs Buck Capes are always really Good Looking.

Spent 3 days in the past week out there looking for elk. Saw a grand total of about 10 deer. Only bucks were a 2 point and a 3 point. You were very lucky.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom