Bookcliffs Muzzleloader Buck

magician_3

First post! I have loved reading everyone's stories over the years and finally decided to contribute. I was lucky enough to draw the Bookcliffs Muzzleloader Tag and had an absolute blast. Honestly, one of the coolest places i've ever hunted. Seeing Bison, Elk, Bears, Deer, and Wild Horses every day was a really fun experience!

I put in for this hunt wanting a really fun back country hunt and thats exactly what I got. There are definitely bigger bucks on the mountain but I couldn't be happier with my experience and result.

Image from iOS (1).jpg

Image from iOS (1) copy.jpg

@LIK2HNT It was pretty crazy and unfortunate at the same time. Lots of rain and clouds made for a difficult hunt. Once it cleared up there were deer everywhere. I had just passed on a cool 3x4 with a cheater, continued to glass and found this guy right before dark and made a solid 257 yard shot.

He appeared to be wounded badly, stumbled and headed down a deep canyon. Rather than push him I decided to give him the night. The next morning, I found a solid blood trail. He had gone about 250 yards and died. Unfortunately coyotes got him and tore up the back end pretty badly. I salvaged as much as I could but I definitely didn't get as much meat as I wanted!

The Books gets a bad rap but I loved my experience. There are a lot of bucks and some really nice ones. You just have to get off the path and into the roadless to find them.

Image from iOS (1) copy 4.jpg

First post! I have loved reading everyone's stories over the years and finally decided to contribute. I was lucky enough to draw the Bookcliffs Muzzleloader Tag and had an absolute blast. Honestly, one of the coolest places i've ever hunted. Seeing Bison, Elk, Bears, Deer, and Wild Horses every day was a really fun experience!

I put in for this hunt wanting a really fun back country hunt and thats exactly what I got. There are definitely bigger bucks on the mountain but I couldn't be happier with my experience and result.

View attachment 55646
View attachment 55647
Nice buck way to get er done

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom