Bookcliffs/Muzzleloader?

ABQHUNTER

I was wondering what your opinions would be about me burning 11 points as a non-resident ( I lived in Utah for 12 years) on a muzzleloader tag in the Books? I was determined to try and hold out for a rifle tag in the Henries, but after looking the thing over I've come to the conclusion that it may take another 15-20 years, maybe to draw a tag there! I have a good friend in Santaquin and he's told me that maybe the Bookcliffs is the way to go. I would appreciate any help or opinions on this deal.

Thanks

Jed

The muzz hunt there is the worse of the 3 IMO. The deer are in the middle of the migration in the thickest nastiest part of the unit. You have the points to do a rifle tag this year or next. Not sure on archery but should be able to draw it. You can't compare the books to the henries on the size of the bucks. But you will see LOTS of deer, not much downtime. Fun hunt if your looking for a 150-170 class buck maybe you will get lucky and top that but that's where the bulk of bucks killed fall.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-10 AT 10:13AM (MST)[p]Personally, I would not want to wait my lifetime to draw a Henries tag. The Bookcliffs is a fun hunt with quite a few deer.

Book cliffs is a fun hunt, lots of decent bucks. I have heard the muzzy tag is the worst of the three. I would say go rifle or archery, if you are able.

I spent some good time on the books this year, never saw a buck much over 180. But, I saw tons of bucks in the 150-170 range.

I personally would look at Elk Ridge or the Paunsagaunt before the Book Cliffs.

>I personally would look at Elk
>Ridge or the Paunsagaunt before
>the Book Cliffs.

+1

I think the responses have nailed it. I spent time this year in both the Books and the Henry Mountains. You can't even compare the two units when it comes to trophy quality. The Henry Mtns is in a whole different class, like comparing a good high school girls basketball game to a NBA payoff game. Book Cliffs is a fun hunt, but muzz season is tough, and 150-170 bucks is a lot more probably than anything bigger. In quite a bit of scouting and looking before, during, and after the hunts I have only seen a hand full of bucks that would have scored 170+. I saw more 180+ bucks in one day on the Henry's than I saw all year on the Books.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-10 AT 03:17PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-10 AT 02:48?PM (MST)

Let's be realistic. As a NR you will (probably) never draw the Henries. Someone will, but your odds are less than attractive.
You need to decide if you want to keep hoping or hunt. I agee with the others on here that the Books are not (and probably never will be) the Henries. Now that being said, with a little mis-management the Henries could turn out to be like the Books. I have been in the Books for the rifle hunt for the last few years with family and friends. (I will probably draw in 2012) We had a great time, and saw 30-50 bucks every day. No 30 inchers but we took some nice 24-26" bucks. I'm looking forward to my turn. Good Luck.
With 11 points you should draw the rifle hunt in the next year or two.

Thanks for the reply. I really don't know what to do. I'm still 4-5 years away from the paunsagaunt, and I know the Henries are a pipe dream. I guess I'll go hunt the Books. Like was mentioned, the Henries may fall off in quality in the near future and I'd be stuck hunting a just ok area. It's all about family and friends in my opinion, I'll hunt hard, get off the roads and kill a buck that looks good to me! Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.

Hunt hard, there are a couple really big bucks taken every year in the Bookcliffs. It might as well be you.

Truthfully, I would look into the vernon, elk ridge or pauns, over the books. I know of 4, 28-30inch 180-195 bucks that came off the vernon this year and have seen some good ones out there after the hunts. Even the oak creek unit holds some great bucks. The books had a hard winter last year and had alot of winter kill. Who knows what this years winter will bring.

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Let me know if you draw the books if that's what you decide to do. I've guided there a few times for every weapon and would love to help give you a jumpstart on areas to look. (I don't guide anymore.)

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I hadn't heard that the books had a winter kill last year. After seeing 30+ nice bucks a day this summer, the unit didn't look too affected. Hopefully this winter will be nice on the elk and deer out there.

>I hadn't heard that the books
>had a winter kill last
>year. After seeing 30+ nice
>bucks a day this summer,
>the unit didn't look too
>affected. Hopefully this winter will
>be nice on the elk
>and deer out there.

I know a bunch of people whop had tags out there and they said the herds were hurting along with the antelope herds, maybe they were just not looking to hard? I did see a couple of good ones but alot of little ones from the unit.

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom