Bookcliffs muzzy

jhibbs

My friend and I are putting in for bookcliffs muzzy this year as non residents with 19 points, so we should draw. At this point we’re planning on hunting from the south end of the unit, coming in from I 70. Was hoping to find out what the best access roads from the south are, if anyone has hunted this area in the last couple of years, and would be willing to share any information. At 57 I’ll likely never have this many points again, since I don’t expect to be hitting the hills in my 70’s:).

thanks,
Jody

I hate to rain on your parade but I don’t think you will draw this year. Toprut shows that only half of the people with 20 points last year drew. You have to get thru those guys first and then compete with other people with 19 points. Your probably a few years out on a guaranteed tag.
Although people could move choices around and you could get lucky though.

What species? Hay Canyon is the best road to the top which is much more likely where you will want to be hunting during the muzzy season.

We were chasing the bookcliffs south rifle south, but figured we were still a couple years behind the curve. Might have had a chance at the north rifle but wanted to hunt with less people.

19 points each. When we started putting in, it only took about 6. My how things have changed. Elkassin, I’m hopeful that you’ll get out there next September and tie one of those 200” bucks to a tree for me?. Actually we’re just hoping for a fun hunt, with a slim chance of finding a really good one, which is typically what every year is like. I’ve only put a tag on 1 buck in the past 5 years, not from lack opportunity, I would typically prefer to keep hunting rather than take a small one, meaning under 160”. Which I’m sure is considered a small one by most people’s standards. By the way, I enjoy reading your posts, great blunt sense of humor.

OK DAX!

How Many 30" / 200" Bucks have You Seen out there in the Last Year?
I've probably only personally seen 4-5 bucks that would go 30" out there over the last 14 years, and maybe 2-3 that would break 200". None of those in the last 5 years. That deer population is the lowest it's been in 20 years. I spend most of my time on the North and they do usually turn up a few more top end bucks on the South.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom