Bookcliffs roadless access closed from sego canyon.

@Horsecorn may have more info, but I'm guessing it's related to this.

IMG_9051(1).jpg

if i've learned anything from the brandon administration its that a nation's borders don't matter. just cross it and call them racists if they try and stop you
That’s the problem with this country. We never finish anything. Here’s another problem coming back up because we didn’t do things right 150 years ago.

That’s the problem with this country. We never finish anything. Here’s another problem coming back up because we didn’t do things right 150 years ago.
Reservations and treaty’s were the worst path for the Indians and most don’t even realize it. They talk about having their sovereign nation and don’t realize it was just a clever prison. As much as it’s not ok to say and makes me a colonizer , the best thing the tribes could have done was actually assimilate into the United States.

So, yeah, you’re right. That job was done wrong. By both sides.

I don't know the reason why they did this. What I do know is that the tribe vehemently opposed the otc bison hunt that was designed to exterminate the reservation bison that migrate west in winter. Their concerns were totally ignored and the extermination occurred.

That was reminiscent of the 1870's when goverment policy was to exterminate bison to starve the indians. I sure can't blame the tribe if they are angry. I'm upset too.

To be fair most states treat bison just as bad or worse than Utah. At least Utah has some wild bison.

Hunters pat themselves on the back all the time for restoring the big game herds of North America. It's a travesty that the biggest and formerly most numerous big game animal is still virtually extinct in the wild and is treated mostly like a farm animal.

This Last Deal Has Nothing To Do With The Bison Deal!

This Sshhitt Gets Stirred Up Every So Many Years!

But This Last Deal Is Almost Beyond Belief!

I'll Let Horsecorn Clue You In If He Wants To?

I don't know the reason why they did this. What I do know is that the tribe vehemently opposed the otc bison hunt that was designed to exterminate the reservation bison that migrate west in winter. Their concerns were totally ignored and the extermination occurred.

That was reminiscent of the 1870's when goverment policy was to exterminate bison to starve the indians. I sure can't blame the tribe if they are angry. I'm upset too.

To be fair most states treat bison just as bad or worse than Utah. At least Utah has some wild bison.

Hunters pat themselves on the back all the time for restoring the big game herds of North America. It's a travesty that the biggest and formerly most numerous big game animal is still virtually extinct in the wild and is treated mostly like a farm animal.

Didn't UTDWR refund people because the winter hunt was a failure? Heard the buffalo didn't leave the reservation....

Why should we suffer for something done so long ago? The indians had HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. No excuses! We shouldn't pay for what happened so long ago.

GO NINERS!!!!

The otc extermination hunt on the west side was a success. Most of the migratory bison died the first season. Mission accomplished. Only a few stragglers getting killed there now as intended. No refunds.

People are complaining about lack of success on the east side draw hunts now as bison under heavy hunting pressure retreat to the reservation.

I think we may be suffering for something done not so long ago (appproval of the otc bison hunt in 2020).

I heard from a Ute co worker that is from that area that just like on the national forest the people using the Ute land disrespected it and left litter and trashed the area's they use. He may have watered it down to a single statement, but from what I see on BLM and National Forest from people now days I can't blame them.

Just like private property. It only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out and what caused it.

If you owned that ground, would you allow the public to cross it? No, you would not. Frankly when I hunted there, I was surprised they allowed it at all.

Check Your PM rman!

I heard from a Ute co worker that is from that area that just like on the national forest the people using the Ute land disrespected it and left litter and trashed the area's they use. He may have watered it down to a single statement, but from what I see on BLM and National Forest from people now days I can't blame them.

Just like private property. It only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out and what caused it.

I have never been to the area so don't have any hands on experience but I have researched the roadless unit for many years and have applied for hunts there numerous times over the years. So can someone please explain in more detail what this closure truly entails? Is the sego canyon road closed off at Thompson Springs? Or is it just closed off at the reservation boundary about a mile south of the roadless border? If it is closed at the edge of the reservation, can you skirt around the corner of the reservation to get to the roadless unit?

So?

If It Had Been Closed You Would Not Of Got In There To Hunt!

How'd You Like That?
If it has been closed, I would have had a much longer walk for sure but would have still gone on my hunt. This is not the only access to the roadless area. Again, I was more shocked they allowed access at all. Not at all surprised they closed it. We all known how much public ground is land locked because private owners do not allow the public to cross their property. If you owned it, would you allow the similar public access - the answer is no. I appreciate that they once allowed access but understand they can do what they want.

There has always been another way in from Sego Canyon. Is the access at the Trailhead closed ? If not, you dont need to cross the Tribal land to get into the Roadless. It has been a few years, but before access was granted through the Tribal land, this route was actually the only way in. Not as easy of trail, but gets you in.

There was a big get together a week or two ago where a bunch of money was raised to help protect our hunting heritage.
I’m sure ‘they’ are already working this out?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom