Books Roadless Sego Canyon Packer

Iowan

I drew the Book Cliffs Roadless Elk Muzzleloader tag and I am having a ton of fun planning for this trip and many of you have already gone above and beyond. I have narrowed the search down to a couple areas but each seems to have some shortcoming. I really like the idea of coming in from the south via the Sego Canyon Road.

I am having trouble finding a packer that will help us retrieve an elk if we are successful. I am not looking for a freebie here.

Does anyone have a packer I can contact once we have an elk down? I have no trouble hiking in but I would not even want to attempt packing a bull out with only two of us.

I am also looking at some other options and access points where I know I can get an outfitter to help with packing in and out. One person has even offered to join me on the hunt with his pack animals and if his wife gives him the green light I would likely take that generous offer.

Note:::

Several Elk were Spoiled last year in/on the Roadless Elk Hunts and I'm talking guys that had Pack horses with them!

Hope it doesn't happen to you but with Warmer Falls the last several years it's a bad deal!

If it's warm,there just ain't time to call for help before you can lose the Meat!

Let's all Hope the weather is cool enough to keep the Meat this Fall!

Good Luck & Hope to see some pics!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

I helped on a hunt a couple years ago where we lost part of the meat and it was a real downer and still bothers me. I am smarter about handling the meat now and I hope we have cool weather for many reasons. I am hoping it is cool so that we do not have to rush out of the unit right after shooting something. Having the meat spoil would ruin my hunt.

I am hoping to find someone that is already planning to be in the unit or lives near Thompsen.

It is tempting to me since I really want to learn the book roadless section, but I will be on another LE unit helping a good friend during the muzzy hunt.

IMHO, once you get your elk down and pictures taken, get that animal broken down as fast as you can . I would completely get the hide off all meat, and debone all quarters. If you have too, hang in the shade all deboned quarters/meat in a good quality game bag to keep it cool until you can get it out. If you only pack out meat, antlers and the cape, it is not too bad to pack out one bull on your back especially if you have one or two people with you.

I was lucky last year and was able to pack out my entire bull by myself since it was a downhill hike to a four wheeler trail in the BC Bitter creek section. It was not easy, but rewarding to do it all by myself. I was able to get the full bull out by 2 PM and on ice by 5 PM.

I could have used your advice on our first elk hunt. We made the mistake of not getting the hide off. We gutted the elk and thought that would be adequate to cool it down at night. It stayed warm all night and caused us some problems. We have since done exactly what you mention. We debone the elk now and take out only the meat. Unless it is something over 360" I will only be taking the skull and antlers not the hide so that helps a little.

I have the option of bringing horses with me but it sounds like taking care of them and getting them there will be more work that packing the elk out on our backs. I may just need to recruit two more very fit people to join us on the hunt - I have taken my nephew on enough hunts maybe it is time to put him to work - he would jump on it in a second.

I cannot see how taking care of horses will be a big deal in the books? There's feed to their bellies. Take some electric fence and a solar charger. I wouldn't want to pack an elk out of the roadless on my back. Good luck

Since your muzz hunt starts 9/28 - 10/6 you have a little better chance of things cooling down than the rifle hunt. I found that the better bulls seem to start showing up with the cows at the end of the rifle hunt and usually most hunters have finished their hunt by then. There can be good bulls found all over the unit but, it seems that the fringes at the access points do get more pressure. Get back in 10 miles with pack animals and you will be more relaxed and confident you can get your bull out timely if needed. I would not plan to pack out an elk on my back, you may drop one down in the bottom of one of the canyons and it would be a killer trying to get up and out with one on your and another persons back. Four people might be enough to get it done.

Fun place to hunt elk, good luck.

Smokepole

If we have to we will bring pack animals but I much prefer to pay someone or work with someone that may not have drawn this year and just wants to go on an elk hunt. Thanks

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom