Boot recomendations

COLO3D

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-06 AT 03:12PM (MST)[p]I am in the market for a good pair of hunitng boots. I am an early season bowhunter, that hunts some pretty rough country. I am looking for boots with good support that are still quiet enough to stalk in close. There are way too many rattlers to go the last little ways in my socks!

By the way I don't want anything that goes to high up my legs.

Try a search about boots. There has been some good discussions in the past about good boots.

beavis.gif

Finding a boot with good support and still being quiet is going to be hard to do, if not impossible. If you want support you end up with a much stiffer boot which is not going to be very flexible enough to be quiet. You might try the Danner Jackal if you can do with a little less support, it will let you have a better chance at being quiet. Otherwise I would recommend going with Mendl hiking boots for the support and stick with an 8" boot. It will give you the support you need for the rough stuff. Good luck.
a3dhunter

After reading an old post about the durability of the recent Danner boots I think I will look at the Meindels.

It sure is hard to find the Meindels in Denver. I did find some Vasque. What are your thoughts on those? I also was kind of attracted to the Danner TFX. They seemed like a well made boot and the guy at Sportsmans Warehouse said that he has seen the quality of Danners improve over the last year.

3D,

I am on my second pair of Vasque Sundowners. They fit my narrow feet well and have held up over a lot of tough backcountry miles. To a certain extent the shape of your foot may determine what boots fit you well. I have had two pairs of danners and the vasque is IMHO a much better boot. I don't bank on gore tex lined boots unless they are all leather and can be weather proofed. Gore tex always breaks down after a period of hard use.

Beanman

I bought a pair of Meindels for a Africa hunt. When I first looked at them I though they might be too stiff. But they are the best boots I have ever owned, I could not be happier with them. The only time you notice the stiff part is in the rocks and that is because they don't let the rocks twist your feet. I used to use Danners but the last pair I bought was junk in no time at all. These Meindels are much better.
Buff

My brother had a pair of Vasques and he loved them. For me personally I am a bowhunter as well and I don't really like the tall boots. I just bought a pair of Merrell boots with a Vibram sole http://www.merrell.com/Shop/Enlarge.aspx?NavID=FT-O-MLT&OIID=-1&Req

I have worn them a few times and they are already broken in and they are the most comfortable and light weight boots, completely waterproof and they give me a lot of support. Good luck but if you had my vote I would buy either Vasques or the Merrells that I bought.

Utbowhntr223
"LIVIN TO HUNT & HUNTING TO LIVE"

Utbowhntr223,

I appreciate the feedback, the link took me to the Merrell website but not to a specific model. I have tried on the Chameleon 2. Is that the one that you bought?

Thank you all for your replies. You have been very helpful. I love this site.

Henry

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-06 AT 09:56AM (MST)[p]Henry,
I actually bought the Pulse II Gore Tex Mid. Sorry I thought that was the link that I had posted. I love them. In fact I am wearing them right now. I know I should probably only use them for hunting but they are very comfortable and I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone.
Utbowhntr23
"LIVIN TO HUNT & HUNTING TO LIVE"

Funny thing is that I just walked in with my new boots from Cabelas in my hand not more than 5 minutes ago. I work outside for a living and spend the day in my boots. I have done so for more than 15 years. By far the best boot I have ever owned is the new Danner Pronghorns. I have 2 pair, one insulated 400 grams of Thinsulate, the other not insulated. I hunted in two states last year in these insulated boots and they were AWESOME.

To make the arch support better and to add cushioning I buy the boots 1/2 size too big and then add an arch support off isle 3 at the grocery store and a memory foam foot pad to put inside as well.

I have 4 pairs of boots at this writing and like I said, I just bought my second pair of the pronghorns. They are fantastic above 10,000 feet in the rocks and they are awesome as wading boots as well ( I have actually stood in a river and fished for hours out of them). You will not go wrong with a pair of Pronghorns.

Online, at Cabelas, $150.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom