Boots for Alaska and Elk

Elkguy16

Gentleman,

My second pair of Cabela?s Meindle fell
apart this spring. I'm going on an Alaskan moose hunt to in September. I have never been to Alaska so I'm not sure which boots would work best and what the temps will be. I would also like to be able to use these for elk hunts. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

You move much when you hunt or sit a lot?

If you move fairly consistently and don't hunt to late, then a good 8" uninsulated, in any of the heavy leather Kenetrek/Hanwag/Meindle type boots sound good for ankle support, water proof, and durability. I have both insulated and uninsulated and reach for my uninsulated unless i'm planning to sit a stump while Whitetail hunting N Idaho on Thanksgiving. I use shorter boots mostly, but for AK and Elk, would recommend taller. Leave good room for good socks to help if it is colder.

I'm a Meindl fan. I have both insulated and unsulated, depending on where I'm hunting. Take the pair you have back to Cabela's and they will give you a new pair.

hwy

Depending on where you are hunting You may want to get a pair of hip boots. Ankle fit Lacrosse is best. Ask the outfitter what he recommends for leather boots..Knee high rubber books are ok in some places.

What type of Alaska moose hunt are you doing and what terrain? If you are floating or in marsh I'd wear totally different boots/waders than moose hunting in higher ground vs elk terrain. If you are hunting moose on solid ground you will likely use totally different footwear than if hunting bogs, marshes, or rivers. There's a good chance your moose may end up submerged in water so it may be a good idea having a pair of waders? If you are hunting marshes all day you may want something that is 100% waterproof and a little taller for creek/river crossings?

If you buy waders you may want stocking foot types that are a little less bulky. It's tough to beat Simms. You may also want the most comfortable wading boots available, especially if you intend on doing much hiking. Neopremes are likely a lot hotter for hiking and may puncture if there are many beaver cut stumps/brush.

For elk it's tough to beat Crispis or Lowas. My preference for elk is noninsulated. I work outdoors in Colorado year-round and am fine all winter without insulated boots. I have more problems with sweaty than cold feet when elk hunting. If there is super deep snow I wear taller boots.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom