Boots. Insulated or not?

Gollywomper

I am In The market for some new boots. On some later November hunts, lows in the tens/upper single digits, I use a pair of Rocky 800g boots. My feet always get cold when glassing for any amount of time. That was with a standard cotton sock that was probably moist/wet from the hike.
How many run an uninsulated boot with thicker socks? Or maybe a 200g?
This season I will be using a sock liner and a thicker hiking/wool sock so trying to figure out which type to buy, uninsulated or 200g.

Kenetrek Mtn Extreme 400g and a light/midweight merino wool sock, smartwool, darn tuff etc. Not cheap but the same as three or four tanks of gas. NO COTTON.
Yes they are on my radar. I also am hoping on going as light as possible to stretch the temperature range they could be used in. Say an uninsulated or 200g boot to get me through late September/October-November. Do all leather boots run hotter? I usually have worn a canvas style shoe or boot. Recently bought leather work boots again and they run very warm compared to previous work foot attire. Have not worn any leather footwear in a long time.
Thinking of buying Uninsulated and taking my 800g along to see how well they do. I typically run day hunts later in the year out of a truck camp. Really hate how bulky the 800s are too.

Boots are a very Personnal thing and peoples feet are very different but yes all leather is warmer. Anything above 30/35 is to warm for the 400g insulated Kenetreks if doing some hiking before you glass. But you mentioned not getting cold feet while glassing. If your feet get sweaty and your going back the truck every day, get the insulated ones and wear a thin sock and change them out with heavier one ( again merino ) if your going to sit for awhile and your feet get cold.

Best advice I will offer is get merino wools socks !! I wear First lite 2 pairs Year round in my Crispi's wore the same in my last 3 pairs of Zamberlans My feet NEVER got cold or sweaty .. Crispi/Zams both available with 200 to 800 grams of insulation

I’m really leaning toward a Crispi Nevada 200g. Adjust socks for cold weather. I plan on a sock liner plus a merino sock. Merino socks I have are a medium/light weight. Might get them clear or double what I have.

I have only used cotton socks, I think that is the major factor in cold feet even with the 800g boots. Plus a leather boot is much warmer as well.
Not too many guys running 800g boots at thanksgiving time while hiking.

I don’t have any boots over 200g. Like said above, good merino sock is invaluable! Even if you get a bit of moisture from sweat, it keeps it away from your skin to keep your feet feeling dry and warm. I love Smartwool, but your gonna pay for them… I’m running the Lowa GTX EVO Etreme in 200g currently (I love them), and I use them in all temps adjusting my sock thickness as needed.
Good luck!

Long sits, maybe look at pac boot or something with a removable insulated liner, you can also buy and extra liner and swap them if you get one sweaty, that and a good wool sock, but feet can be hard to keep warm especially if you want some

I’m really leaning toward a Crispi Nevada 200g. Adjust socks for cold weather. I plan on a sock liner plus a merino sock. Merino socks I have are a medium/light weight. Might get them clear or double what I have.

I have only used cotton socks, I think that is the major factor in cold feet even with the 800g boots. Plus a leather boot is much warmer as well.
Not too many guys running 800g boots at thanksgiving time while hiking.
Bought a pair of crispis 2 yrs ago and they now hurt my feet to walk in tried 3 different insoles still don't feel good. Think those were 200gram. Guessing maybe 700 miles on those boots. Fitment was great at first but thinking the boots might of been made for weekend warriors.

Bought a pair of crispis 2 yrs ago and they now hurt my feet to walk in tried 3 different insoles still don't feel good. Think those were 200gram. Guessing maybe 700 miles on those boots. Fitment was great at first but thinking the boots might of been made for weekend warriors.
Which model of boot?

I tried both of those on at the last show I was at. I liked the way the Schnee felt over the Crispi, but ended up going with Lowa. The break in time seemed like it might be less on the Schnee over the Crispi, but everyone’s feet are different.

I bought the Kenetrek mountain Extreme insulated. They said they would have the cobbler fit them for me. I sent them in three different times. My feet are just to wide. I have a ee with. I gave them to my son and he loves them. Just making sure my pack mules are taken care of. ? I just got the Crispi Nevada uninsulated. The are a ee width and fit my fine. I haven’t broken them in yet. But I think they are going to work for me. I went to Gary’s shoes in Richfield to help with the fitting and they where great. They suggested going up to a 11.5 to get a wider toe box. I was also have problems finding any store that had any of the winder boots in stock. Garys got them for me in one day.

Like already said, feet are different between us all and what works for my friend BIGJT would drown my feet since mine are shaped like downhill skis....narrow and long. haha

Zeke

I wound up with Crispi Guides. The fit is good. No issues so far on the treadmill other than some new boot foot fatigue. Has been cut in half each time I wear them, approx 1.5 miles each day. Great on flat ground but slight incline is where I begins to feel it. Less in 10-12% incline. Once they get fatigued I return to level and they are fine. I don’t wear stiff footwear nor tall boots normally. So it may take a few miles.
Superfeet hike max insoles arrive today so will see how those fit.
So far I like the boots. Reminds me of my younger days when I dreaded buying new boots due to the break in.

I would strongly suggest NEVER basing your decision solely on a persons preference. Of course it’s great to get opions but everyone’s feet are different. With boots, everyone’s feet are different. I just returned from a very tough sheep hunt and my unisulated Crispi GTX boots were great.
My son that was with me had to leave his Crispi‘s at home because they were not broken in. He bought some cheap Merrill’s that ended up being great.
If I was you, I would go uninsulated boots with a heavy pair of merino wool socks. I would also be very careful about sizing your boots. If you have any concern about your boot size, I would absolutely go up 1/2 of a size. I’m convinced that a big reason for cold feet is bad circulation due to tight boot.
I have been using Darn tough socks which I believe are very good. They are expensive but paying a high price for quality socks is worth it.
I wear my uninsulated boots ice fishing and do fine. Sure, it’s not ideal but paired with good socks I do fine.
I see no reason to ever buy 200 gram socks.
On a side note, I really like Zamberlein and Meindl.
Be sure to try different brands and give your self time to break them in.

The Crispi was the first leather boot I have worn that didn’t have any weird or odd contact somewhere on my feet. Perfectly comfortable. However these are my first pair of higher end hunting boots. Some fatigue on my first couple trips on the treadmill when inclined. Last night there was very little. Each day it seems to be half of the previous days fatigue.

Golly: Great, looks like you did and are doing well! Great plan to work out in your boots and get them ready!!
It is also a great excuse to continue to hit the treadmill as I make the change in hunting style to go a bit further than the easy roadside ridges. Not easy to try to improve your fitness level in Your mid 40s. Lmao.
Doing well on the treadmill. But those damn tacos keep testing me…….

You wear cotton socks, you will get blisters and your feet will be cold, period.

Socks are just as important as the boots you wear. I don’t use a liner any more. Just merino wool socks. I usually like at least 70% merino. But smart wool seems to do well with less.

smartwool socks are great for cold. i like darn tough for early season, warmer weather hunts. DT are a little more cushiony. I wear Hanwag, Lowa uninsulated boots. i bring the 400 g insulated Danner pronghorn for 3 rd or 4th season hunts in snow. used to wear polypropylene liners - need to get some new ones! good luck

I'd suggest getting insulated boots. These versatile boots will keep your feet warm and dry. Wear thin socks if you are going back to the truck every day. However, if you stay in one place for a long, change them out with heavier ones. But don't forget we all have different feet and preferences. You may feel better in a pair of leather men's work boots Canada than in cushioned hiking boots. Always make sure you feel comfortable! The shoes give you support, protection, and traction on any terrain and weather condition.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are hunting super cold conditions. I have never owned insulated boots but can understand using them if sitting for any length of time in single to teen weather. If I'm not active or walking far I often convert over to sorels...especially in deep snow. It's possible to add fairly thick socks with sorels for the worst cold and snow conditions.

I've had good luck when active with Lowa tibets in deep snow. I've also had good luck at work year-round in Colo with different Crispis when active when the snow isn't too deep. I buy around 1 size larger for different padded insoles plus heavier socks. It's possible to cinch the laces if warm and using thinner socks or relax the laces when it's colder and heavier socks.

It's always nice to have a selection of boots to choose from for different conditions. I usually go for the lightest boot possible when active and the warmest boots when super cold. Obviously different thickness socks also help.

Several guys have mentioned Kenetrek Extremes. I owned a pair for 1 day at work and returned them. They have super thick soles and it felt like I was on stilts on sidehills. They would be almost dangerous on loose rock! Some guys may like super tall, stiff boots but they certainly aren't for me! They also are super heavy.

I have always tried to have one pair of insulated boots for possible cold weather hunting. Usually I have kept to medium to light insulation because I never stand hunt.
This year my son and I had late season deer tags in Colorado and the weather was cold. We both picked up the Crispi Guide boot which worked out perfectly for us. Not too hot when hiking but pretty comfortable when sitting and glassing.
Even though those kind of hunts don't come around often for us, I believe it's worth it to have a warmer boot if needed to keep you comfortable. It paid off in spades for my son with a great buck on the last day. Cold feet may have worn down our hunting motivation but the right boot helped us hunt right to the end.

I wear a thin and thick pair of socks with uninsulated Zamberlan Wasatches. These do a pretty good job through late season hunting. If I was to make a habit of sitting more often I'd want 200 or 400 grams of insulation.

Unless I absolutely need rubber boots, I always use leather hiking boots. I have a pair of insulated for the winter and a normal pair for the early season.

Problem feet too wide kenetrek and other higher end boots just don't fit good.
I went back to Irish setter full leather wide toe box and durable as all get out second pair bought last year. I have had my original pair for 12 years and still use them.
Socks (good) wool or blend is the way to go take extra pair

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom