Booycott Nikon optics

M

Muleymonster

I found this on another site thought you all might like to take a look:

There is a predator derby being held in Idaho this weekend that is being held by the Idaho chapter of Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife.

This is the 5th annual event of this derby, and NIKON has been a reliable sponsor of this event. That is until this year. This derby has gained some national exposure by the Anti hunting crowd and they put pressure on NIKON to pull it's sponsorship and they caved.

Almost every rifle scope I have is a NIKON, but that will change. I will be writing NIKON to inform them that hunters who use their products will not stand for them caving to special interests that do not represent us.

Here are a couple of links about this.

http://iamidaho.deviantart.com/

http://wolves.wordpress.com/...ator-derby/#comments

The second link does not work. But here is a link that does.

http://wolves.wordpress.com/2009/11/25/predator-derby/

These idiots are now going after Cebela's and Sportsmans Warehouse. We need to stand up against these idiots. Even though I don't hunt Coyotes I am not naive enough to understand what can happen we don't stand up against the anti crowd.

I also wonder why SFW has not informed us that they have lost sponsorship for this event.

If it were me I would want all sportsmen to know that we have companies that provide products to sportsmen, while not supporting them.

SFW should be leading the charge, but they are not.

The problem here is not Nikon. Go to Yellowstone and see how many people are using $8000 nikon cameras to take pictures of wolves(buy the way I hate wolves). Nikon makes more than just riflescopes. It's the anti-hunting groups who are at fault. The people at Nikon probably just feel that a local coyote contest was not worth the hassle. Last i saw, Nikon makes a "coyote special" scope for cryin out loud. They make enough products that help me kill animals that I would stil buy from them. These days with the economy you can't start telling companies where they should keep spending thier money. I'm just sayin......

I don't care how many $8000 cameras they sell to greennecks.

The simple fact of the matter is they do have a sport optics division of their company that is intended for sportsmen. And if they are willing to not support the people who use their products from their optics division they do not deserve the business from sportsmen.

Obviously you disagree and will continue to support a company who gives in to the anti hunting community, rather than standing up for sportsmen.

Sportsmen must stand up for themselves and beat the anti's at their own game.

Just sayin.....

The only way to get a company like that to change is sending them enough emails from the other side. Let them know you have been a loyal Nikon customer for many years and think of Nikon first when you need a new pair of binocs or scope. However, now that they have shown they cave, you might still conisder them, but you will also look at other models and they might lose your business.

Do you have a "contact" link to send them such a message?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I guess I have always boycotted Nikon.....with leupold out there why would anyone buy that stuff anyway??? They have never been a "hunting" company....just after a few of your sheckels...

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I'd buy bushnell before I wasted another penny on leupold! Binos suck! Riflescopes really suck!

Sucks nikon caved I really like their products.

What pickup do you drive? Who makes your wife's purse? What does your favorite soft drink bottler support? What kind of whiskey do you drink? How about the company that makes shingles for your house? Or the electrician or carpet layer who worked on it? How much research have you done into what the real dollar getters in your budget support? Little or none I suspect.

I think you have a rather simplistic view of economics and how a big company has to operate if they are trying to appeal to a broad group of people and stay in business.

BTW, how many of your local officials support this predator derby openly? In a big enough populace it would be suicide for them to do so.

Just my $0.02, FWIW

And JB, are you hording all the good leupolds in the world?

Easy NVB!
I knew there was a reason I stayed with JUNK Leupolds,that and I couldn't ever afford quality scopes.

Ramone, I have a few junk Leupolds layin around too. And a few junk Nikons. Guess I'm not very good at this am I? :)

NVBigHorny!
I think you're real good at it!
But thinking about who puts most shingles on most houses these days is agitating,did you have to mention that part?

I would imagine that Nikon is in a tough position. I don't know the details and I'm sure it's a bummer that they dropped their support of the event.
BUT, I think at the same time, it's a shame that even though they have been a reliable sponsor of the event in years past that as soon as they decide they don't want to sponsor it anymore, that they are now the enemy. Those thoughts and that attitude are also a shame.

I think their previous support should have earned them some brownie points. My feeling is, "Thanks to Nikon for their previous support", and "Bummer, they caved in and choose to drop their support this year".

I think writing them off as the enemy is going too far.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

NVBighorn,

I fully understand how the economics of big corporations work, I am a manager for our nations largest corporation.

This situation is not about finding and doing business with only people whom I agree with on the issues. This is about holding a company responsible for actions.

This is no different than when Smith and Wesson caved to the anti gun lobby. Or when Jim Zumbo made his asinine comments about semi-auto rifles. They were held responsible by those that buy their products, and they are still paying today.

If Nikon lacks the balls to offer continued support for the people and product lines they offer, they shouldn't be in that line of business.

There is a comment on the one blog and it states:

"The hunting crowd at monstermuleys knows the reality. It will take some time but we will take away some of their “hunting rights” to hold these predator derbies one state at a time. You know they are scared to death to lose these rights. How would they spend their weekends if they don't have the ability to blow away predators at will."

That is the kind of ideals and people that Nikon caved to. I'm glad you can support that in the name of doing business, but I cannot.

Call it a personal vendetta or whatever, but I will not support a company who offers sporting goods that caves to pressures from people who do not represent my interests. This will hold true, if Cabela's and Sportsmans Warehouse pull their sponsorship.

Hopefully other sportsmen will follow suit and voice their opinion on this matter.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-09 AT 03:53PM (MST)[p]Founder,

It is not like they did not renew their sponsorship for this year's event.

They were openly sponsoring this event until early this week, when they pulled their sponsorship because of pressures from the anti hunting community.

>I fully understand how the economics of
>big corporations work,
>I am a manager for our nations largest corporation.

You work for the federal government? :)

Out of curiosity, who is our nations largest corporation? And where do they stand on hunting predator derbys and thence, since you choose to take your paycheck from them, where do you stand on predator derbys?

Sorry, I knew I should have just kept my mouth shut.

So what's so hard to figure out there? Obviously someone powerful in their organization said "I don't like it". So does that mean that everyone and everything at Nikon caved? No it means the people with the biggest share makes the decisions. That's not new.

>So what's so hard to figure
>out there? Obviously someone powerful
>in their organization said "I
>don't like it". So
>does that mean that everyone
>and everything at Nikon caved?
>No it means the people
>with the biggest share makes
>the decisions. That's not new.
>

No it is not, but neither is voicing one's displeasure with said company, or refusing to do business with said company because of the stance they have taken.

Let me ask you a question. Do you thing the anti's sit around and complain to each other about the validity of one's displeasure of a company? Helll no they don't they jump into action and get things done. That is why they will win the battle.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-09 AT 04:40PM (MST)[p]>Maybe GM

Thats why I asked if he worked for the Federal Government.

And no Ramone, this isnt a NVB vs Wyo debate.

But he isnt really forthcoming with a name.

Well Frick!
If GM is the biggest why is part of GM going ##### up?
And if GM is ANTI on anything I'm gonna knock the Bowtie off the front of D13er's truck!

I work for ExxonMobil, and if they ever would have sponsored a derby then pulled their sponsorship I would be calling for their boycott also.

Not in this situation because there can be more of a difference made from within a company by those willing to stand up for themselves and their values.

Nope was gonna bail out and stop but then WYO posted that crap about "making a difference from within" and once I stopped laughing I thought I better stick around. :)

Maybe when gas reaches 3.00+ a gallon again we can get wyo to boycott it & get it fixed?

Absolutely!

I'm with you on that all the way.

So what's the deal with you two, do you both work for Nikon in some form or another?

Would this boycott if successful effect your bottom line or something?

No,I don't have one penny invested in NIKON.
I'm boycotting them & keeping my JUNK Leupolds for now!
NVB just wanted to stirr your Cherio's a little,lol!

Wyo, as I said in my PM to you, I should have kept quiet. I respect your conviction and your choice to boycott. I have NO ties to Nikon. Or anyone else for that matter. Just being the devils advocate. You go man.

Now let me get back to my research on ExxonMobil for something evil they have done to wildlife and hunting. LOL. Kidding!

He ain't kiddin Wyo,I give him 15 minutes before he finds something on Exxon.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-09 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]Speaking of Cheerios, both they and Motel 6 stopped having an association with the Humane society of American when enough sportsmen spoke up and let them know that if it continued they would stop supporting them.

I had eaten Cheerios 80% of the time since I was a kid, and didn't eat any until this relationship was severed.

That said, I think a combo of Founders view and others is the best approach. My email will say that I am sorry to see them cave to the anti hunting crowd, and if that stands , I will be considering other products in the future. It will also state that I am currently in the market for some binocs and the Monarch ATBs are currently at the top of the list (true story). Now I am reconsidering. However, if they make amends......

txhunter58

tx,
I'm sure after NIKON see's your post they'll change their ways immediately,lol!

You guys are either joking or been smoking something. I have never owned a pair of Leupold binocs, but the scopes have never failed me. And when my brother came back from a horse, pack-in hunt with his scope "bent" by a fall, he sent it in and they sent him a new scope free of charge.

And I defy you to find any reputable reviewing authority that will call the vast majority of Bushnell anything but "decent for the money". If you want something to look through before you shoot, bushnell will get the job done. But you won't be able to come close to the clarity or low light transmission of higher quality glass, (leupold or others). Sure Bushnell has s SMALL selection of some higher quality glass (Bushnell elites for example) that are exceptional glass, but on the whole, they are made cheaply and don't compare to leupold, nikon, etc.

So if you are saying that a Bushnell product is of better quality than a Leupold product costing twice as much, you really need to take another look (pun intended). With glass, you really do get what you pay for with the competition today.

txhunter58

I was using "Bushnell" to prove a point. Thats the quality level I have gotten from them. I have never had any sort of luck with leupold. Every optic I have had has been a pos. Tried 3 different rifle scopes and absolutely hated them. The bino's would go to double vision with just a little bump. Ya the warrantee was great but I kept having to send everything in. I ended up giving all of them away.

I was just stirring the pot a little because I know there are people here that swear by them and have had nothing but great results with them. I have never had a good optic from leupold.

Nikon has always been very good to me. 4 rifle scopes still on my guns and a pair of 12x50 binos that have taken a pretty hefty beating and still work excellent, whatever the light. I hate to see them roll like that but I'm sure they have their reasons which we may never know.

I think I'm just going to keep my Nikon's and Leupold's and leave it at that. Either way you can still kill predators with or without Nikons sponsorship.

Who cares? So what if they pulled their sponsorship? It does not make their products any better or worse. Get off the bandwagon, get out and hunt and forget about crap that doesnt really matter.
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

justr86, I would put my thumbs and pointer fingers together and make circles put them over my eyes and look through them before i would spend a red cent on nikon optics of any sort leupolds i have dozens and dozens of them on 22 to 375 ultra never had an issue!!!!!

justr-86, send me one of your precious nickens and I'll throw it on my 458, you wanna take that bet on how many rounds it takes to shred it? same gun has had a leup on it for 15 years, never re-zeroed.

Hunters MUST take a stand with their pocket books. The antis do and then scream and holler and piss and moan until corporations fold. If we sit back like a bunch of sheep the outlook for hunting is not good.

Corporate management responds to $$$. Nikon does not give a damn about hunters or anti-hunters only where the money is. If the antis scream and make a fuss and we sit back and do nothing who will they listen to?

Reddog,

I would put the nikon on your 458 any day against your leupold. In the end it all falls down to personal preference right? I prefer to buy nikon products because they have been good to me. I will not spend another penny on anything leupold from past experience. I tried more than one because people kept telling me they are great but I never got one any better than a bushnell, Probably worse that bushnell. I'm not really the nicest on my guns/bino's I bought them to use and I use them. Nikon stands up to the abuse I put them through and the quality and price work great for me and what I use them for.

>Corporate management responds to $$$.
>Nikon does not give a
>damn about hunters or anti-hunters
>only where the money is.
> If the antis scream
>and make a fuss and
>we sit back and do
>nothing who will they listen
>to?

The people where the money comes from. Be interesting to know what percentage of Nikon's sales world wide come from hunters. I bet it is out weighed by birdwatchers and camera owners (making them where "the money is").

And if you guys arguing over Leupold vs Nikon are including binoculars in this argument then you can keep both. I will take my Leicas over either one. And I have no idea what Leica's position is on predator derbys. Nor do I really care.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-09 AT 08:07AM (MST)[p]I should hope that Leicas are better for the difference they cost!

So if the proceeds from Leica went straight to PETA and HSUS, that wouldn't bother you? Wouldn't cause you to check out Zeis instead? My point is, everyone draws the line somewhere, it is just that you draw the line further down. That is your choice, just as it our choice to support COMPARABLE products that don't bail on us.

txhunter58

Easy NVBigHorny!
We can't all afford Leicas.
So in the mean time I'll keep using my JUNK Leupold Scopes & my Quality Bushnell Spotting Scope.

For most of us leica, zeiss, swarovski just isn't an option so we get the lesser quality nikon, leupold, bushnell optics.

Has anyone called nikon and asked for the real reason why they pulled sponsorship? I will look into another brand after this but I will still consider nikon. I have a hard time believing it was pressure from animal rights activists because if that was the case you would not see an advertisement on the outdoor channel, vs, pursuit network or any other outdoor network. I think its more of a financial issue due to the economy.

For the record leupold is still junk to me!

According to one website, the contest awards points:

- Bobcats are worth 2 points
- Foxes are worth 2 points
- Coyotes are worth 2 points
- Wolves are worth 3 points
- Ties are resolved by weight.

Bobcats are few and far between on this site and should be worth at least 5 points. A rare trophy indeed!:)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Never mind. We are off track here. I dont care what anyone looks through. I have owned Nikon scopes, binoculars and spotters, Leupold scopes, Bushnell scopes and binoculars, Cabelas scopes, hell even Tasco, as well as my Leica binocs. They all work for me and fit my budget at the time.

To answer the question about whether I would stop buying Leica if their money went to PETA? I doubt I will buy Leica again just because I can't justify the cost. But I know I will never need another pair of binoculars either. But to answer the question, I can't say for sure Leica doesn't already. Which was the point of my very first post on this thread where I said:

"What pickup do you drive? Who makes your wife's purse? What does your favorite soft drink bottler support? What kind of whiskey do you drink? How about the company that makes shingles for your house? Or the electrician or carpet layer who worked on it? How much research have you done into what the real dollar getters in your budget support? Little or none I suspect."

Here is an interesting link on this subject. Notice the origin and carefully read the first post.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1423390&page=2

The fourth post puts that to rest but the fact that Cabelas would even think of shying away should tell you that "predator derbys" are a hot button that no one wants to deal with. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. But Cabelas didnt stay in, nor did Nikon bail out, because of their beliefs on hunting. They went where their money is.

Funny Eel!
I heard the Tortoises are a real bonus at 10 points a piece!
Lol!
Any word from Bessy Eel?

For many years I was like most of us had a family that was big into hunting and it was very expensive to afford the top of the line stuff I bought a used rifle put a tasco world class scope straight power 6 and thats what I used for 18 years and still use that same rifle.My wonderful wife bought me a burris scope 2 yearsago 4x12 and I love it,and couple of years ago I bought a nikon scope at a turkey banquet ,And love it.I would love to here nikons stand on this issue before I jump to any conclusion, and for the record I do like nikons stuff, and IMOP its better than bushnell,My point is buy what you can afford and if nikon stand is with the antis then i have bought my last nikon and i will let the powers to be known.

Boy did this get off track. Why the debate just buy what you like and can afford. I like both.

Did someone above just compare a Leupold to a Bushnell?.......Thats funny

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Boycott Bushnell, Simmons and Tasco if you feel the need to boycott. Stand up to crappy optics!
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom