Boulder Mountain Early Rifle

Congrats on one of the best tags there is! My dad drew the muzzy tag in 2014. The hunt was amazing and we saw and sifted through a lot of bulls. Here is his bull
99361266-8DA1-448A-8CAA-D07F2AE86288.jpeg

Great tag but a bit down relative to the highs it reached 5 - 10 years ago. Still very doable for a 360” bull though, with a chance at something better.

If you’re considering going guided, I’d look into Alpha Outfitters. The crew there, including Garrett, Klint, and the Woolsey Brothers, seem to have the most comprehensive coverage of the unit and are consistently laying down the best bulls.

No one knows elk better than someone who consistently kills every year…get an outfitter bid or two and I’ll undercut them and show you how to hunt and kill for less cost…Hows that for business??
Choose me and not only will I cut Bloodtrackers price in half but I will also throw in an 8 pack of toilet paper absolutely no charge.

Wow a guy makes a post on the fact he drew out for a great tag and that he is willing to hunt hard and the outfitters minions or the outfitters themselves come out of the wood work drumming up buisness.
Suggesting hiring an outfitter for what is surely a Once in a lifetime tag, is wise, unless someone has a lot of time on their hands. Someone that hunts the unit year after year, is going to put you light years ahead of where anyone would start on their own.

I find it funny that guys will crap on this, however many guides, hire other outfitters when they draw a tag out of state, because they realize how long the ramp up process is for a new area. I have experienced it, and heard it from many very good hunters
“Gosh, I wish I could have that tag again. I’d really kick their A$$ the second time”

Except… There isn’t a second time coming.

Suggesting hiring an outfitter for what is surely a Once in a lifetime tag, is wise, unless someone has a lot of time on their hands. Someone that hunts the unit year after year, is going to put you light years ahead of where anyone would start on their own.

I find it funny that guys will crap on this, however many guides, hire other outfitters when they draw a tag out of state, because they realize how long the ramp up process is for a new area. I have experienced it, and heard it from many very good hunters
“Gosh, I wish I could have that tag again. I’d really kick their A$$ the second time”

I prefer to hunt on my hunts, not just show up and kill

I have no problem if someone wants to hire a guide and I have no problems with guides/outfitters guiding someone that wants to use a guide. to each there own.
If someone comes on this site and asks for recommendations for a guide.
Suggest away.
But When someone posts they have drew out for a quality tag and they clearly state they are willing to hunt hard and do not ask for a guide and then guys with verry few posts jump on the thread and start suggesting so and so guide and how this guide is the king of all guides.
It kind of sounds like a sales pitch to me.
Just my 2 cents
cwprx
I hope you get a good bull and have a fun time scouting and hunting.

I finally drew this tag and was interested in seeing bulls harvested on the unit. If you have hunted it let me know how your experience was. I realize its a tough unit, but I am ready for the work and experience.
Well, you got one reply to your question. His father killed a pretty bull. Apparently they saw a lot of bulls and had a great time doing it. 18 years is quite a while ago and much could have changed, for the better or the worse. If I knew more about the Boulder elk I’d offer you some experiences but I don’t. As I come and go down here thought I see and hear good things about the Boulder elk hunt every year so I believe there are still a decent number on the unit and suspect a few dandies. All the best in you your inquires and your muzzleloader elk hunt this year. The Boulder is a beautiful mountain.

I have no problem if someone wants to hire a guide and I have no problems with guides/outfitters guiding someone that wants to use a guide. to each there own.
If someone comes on this site and asks for recommendations for a guide.
Suggest away.
But When someone posts they have drew out for a quality tag and they clearly state they are willing to hunt hard and do not ask for a guide and then guys with verry few posts jump on the thread and start suggesting so and so guide and how this guide is the king of all guides.
It kind of sounds like a sales pitch to me.
Just my 2 cents
cwprx
I hope you get a good bull and have a fun time scouting and hunting.
You replied to my post, and I wouldn’t even know who to suggest on the Boulder, so I assure you, my suggestion was in no way a Sales pitch….. It was just an observation, and a suggestion for the thought process.

I have no doubt that most of us on here could go on that unit, with that tag, and kill a nice Bull, myself included. Everyone doesn’t have the “Utah Posse” at their disposal, nor the free time to do a tag like that true justice. That’s just my .02, from having done these things a time or 2.

I’ll tell you this, Man, I really hope it’s the Elk hunt of a lifetime and you have a Hell of an experience. If you kill a Giant bull, that’s icing on the cake. Best of luck to the OP!!!

My Dad's hunt was 8 years ago (2014) so not quite 18 ;) , but still a long time ago and some has changed on the unit, including the top end bull quality, as is the case with pretty much every Utah unit.

Make no mistake though, there are some big bulls on the Boulder unit and you will have an amazing hunt. With the early rifle tag, you won't have any other hunters hunting at the same time. I agree with the recommendations, you don't need a guide to kill a good bull if you can do your homework scouting to learn the lay of the land and if you can get there a couple days before opener, finding a few areas that hold bulls for your first morning will be key. The unit is big and very thick on the west side (east side is also thick but a little more glassable) - hopefully they will be bugling and you can find them that way.

If you don't have the time to do your own homework and have the means, you might consider a guide to get you on a good bull. A tag like this one is really a once in a lifetime experience-make the most of it and have a ton of fun doing it!!

Depends on a couple things..... partly finances and mostly pride........I find it interesting that so many people use the words maximize the tag.........but they finally drew a great tag and either fear or something else makes them feel like they have to hire an outfitter.....what better hunts to hunt on your own than these great tags..........the first thing I look at when someone kills a masher is was it guided because the fact of the matter is it is just a shortcut and we all know it in our hearts......now certain things you have no choice....but great public land tags in great areas.....you might be the lucky undeserving(in the locals who know these animals intimately minds) guy who beats the odds and kills a monster on your own........and that is something that could never taste better.......or pay a guide and behind your back for anyone who knows anything about hunting it was just a guided bull........hunt on your own if you are able and look for the best bull you can find several days before the hunt and if you find something you like try and kill it right away........if not hunt til you find something you like or you are forced to leave.......and enjoy the HUNT...not just shooting.

Best of luck

Depends on a couple things..... partly finances and mostly pride........I find it interesting that so many people use the words maximize the tag.........but they finally drew a great tag and either fear or something else makes them feel like they have to hire an outfitter.....what better hunts to hunt on your own than these great tags..........the first thing I look at when someone kills a masher is was it guided because the fact of the matter is it is just a shortcut and we all know it in our hearts......now certain things you have no choice....but great public land tags in great areas.....you might be the lucky undeserving(in the locals who know these animals intimately minds) guy who beats the odds and kills a monster on your own........and that is something that could never taste better.......or pay a guide and behind your back for anyone who knows anything about hunting it was just a guided bull........hunt on your own if you are able and look for the best bull you can find several days before the hunt and if you find something you like try and kill it right away........if not hunt til you find something you like or you are forced to leave.......and enjoy the HUNT...not just shooting.

Best of luck
Post of the decade!

I finally drew this tag and was interested in seeing bulls harvested on the unit. If you have hunted it let me know how your experience was. I realize its a tough unit, but I am ready for the work and experience.

Congrats and you’re going to have a blast. I’ve gotta muzzy tag this year for the unit and I’m excited. I’m in the same boat as you ready to grind it out and have a great hunt. Here’s one from the 2018 early rifle.

E64AC22C-1D6E-4F3F-8BC1-C923ABC06E80.jpeg

I'm not suggesting you hire an outfitter, but if you want pictures and videos of bulls on the Boulder, go to Ryan Carter's instagram account. ryan_dcoutfitters is his account. Go there and you'll get all the pics and videos you could ever want to look at of bulls on that unit.

Congrats on the tag!

I was you a year ago. I drew this incredible tag after waiting 24 years. I've always been a DIY guy. My idea of my once in a lifetime tag/hunt was to shoot the biggest bull I could with my brothers and dad helping me. Between all of my scouting trips combined, I spent about 20 days on the unit prior to the hunt. I had some great info, some from great people on MM. I hunted the early rifle and ended up killing a bull that I was very happy with. I know there are bigger bulls on the unit and I could have shot a bigger bull with an outfitter, but this was MY dream once in a lifetime hunt. I passed several mature bulls smaller than this one, but I feel like this caliber of bull is very attainable without an outfitter. I'd be happy to pass on information. Feel free to PM me.
20210920_181523.jpg
20210920_184921.jpg
20210920_184459.jpg

Layemdown, Great Bull. What did he score? I have a early rifle bull tag here in Az. and doing in it With a few buddies . Trying to figure scores. I know a real big Bull when I see it ,Just curious ,My guess on yours is 350 ish . pictures are hard to tell. Thanks an congrats!

Never did see it. The moisture is epic down there this year. So is the amount of pressure already.
The west side of Boulder is far from epic moisture. Driest I've ever seen it. Spent a few days on Dutton and Boulder they are both struggling tremendously deer wise and elk numbers aren't looking good.

The west side of Boulder is far from epic moisture. Driest I've ever seen it. Spent a few days on Dutton and Boulder they are both struggling tremendously deer wise and elk numbers aren't looking good.
Elk and deer numbers have never been good, the domestic cows are good though. I usually stay off the west side. Been getting good rain on the north and east.

I was there last weekend fishing and camping. It was WAY WET and green down there last weekend, but lots of rains all week will do that. Did not see any elk, but were not looking. Just going from lake to lake fishing. We did manage to see 2 very nice bucks. Both were 25-27 inch 4 points. Definite shooters on any unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom