Bow Sight: Fixed or Dial?

coryb

It's the time of year when I dream of all I will draw and what new equipment I want for the hunts. Of course, it's usually all red and I won't need new equipment. But, just in case...

I've been looking at new bow sights and like the idea of an adjustable pin. I like the ability to practice way out past the distances I'll shoot at game but don't want to adjust the sight near the hunt so I like a sight that allows. Currently, I have a spot-hogg 5 pin that is set to 30-70 yards as my practice range maxed out at 70. I moved and my new place should allow me to practice out to 100 yards. I could do a 7 pin and set it 30-90 yards but that seems like it would reduce the sight picture visibility too much. I shoot with both eyes open so maybe thats not an issue? I haven't looked at all the sights available, is there one that has fixed pins I could set at 30,40, and 50 and dial only the last pin? This would allow closer shots to be no nonsense and the ability to dial out for practice or that long reach on an animal.

I'd love to hear others experience and knowledge on this.

Cory

+1 on the Black Gold Ascent 5-pin. If you're going to shoot longer distances, having a slider sight makes a huge difference. I was shooting a fairly fast bow (330 fps) and bottoming out my pins in the sight housing at about 80 yards, so being able to move the whole housing down allowed me to be able to shoot farther. I really like the 5-pin as I can shoot out to 60 yards without moving anything, and I use my 60-yard pin for my slider pin. It works great.

I have a 3 pin slider on my bow right now, but also have a fixed two pin as well. I prefer the fixed pin zeroed at at 30 and 45 yds. Most shot distances with my setup are either going to be a couple of inches high or low depending on if I aim right at it or hold over to the top of its back. I will not shoot at anything past 50 yds. Too much can happen when I'm behind the string...

Slider is an MBG
Fixed is a CBE

Really doesn't matter as long as you practice with it and I mean a lot. Both have there advantages both have disadvantages....

5 pins is a lot and too much clutter for me... 1 pin just seams to have a great sight picture but also can leave you with your pants down, but has a great sight picture.

I personally like a 3 pin it has the advantages from both options. It has enough clarity to not lose focus and easily select the correct pin. But also gives you the option to shoot distance with out moving it, which is the downer of a single pin.

I start my sight @ 30 yards, difference from 20 - 30 is so small no reason to have a 20. I do 30, 40, 50 and 60 high if I need, but typically you will have time to dial at that distance or further.

I personally like Spot Hogg of any kind, Tommy Hogg or Hogg Father.

Good Luck picking!

Take a good look at the G-5 units. Mine has 4 pins. 20,30,40 and my floater dials from 50 to 90. If a guy started at 30 yds with your bow cranked down your floater should get you to 100 or a little more.

I've narrowed it down to the spot-Hogg fast Eddie or fast Eddie xl. Anyone have experience with both? I like the idea of the increased length of the xl but am a bit worried about reduced durability and increased weight. It seems fine for elk and deer but may be a liability for ibex....

I shoot a five pin Tommy Hogg (20,30,40,50,60) slider, had it made w/ custom pins for pin color and pin size preference. I can slide anywhere from 15 to 100+ if I have time to dial, or use the fixed at the set yardages and gap if necessary. I have enjoyed this setup for hunting and league.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom