BOY SCOUTS = BANKRUPTCY

Very sad. Never was a boyscout myself. Always had respect for the boys who were. Always have thought highly of the organization. I have done a good bit of volunteer work for them over the years. Everyone I ever met with them no matter their age were exceptional gentlemen. I almost can't imagine an American culture without them.

It was a great program. Sorry for the boys that are going to miss out on some great outdoor experiences. But when they start allowing girls to camp out over night with the boys. Then allowing gay leaders. They now can’t fight all of the abuse law suits. I was a Boy Scout and have been a leader all of my life until a couple months ago. Both my boys are Eagle Scout. I appreciate all that they where taught in the program. Now that the Baptist church and the Mormon church has pulled out. They have lost all of their revenue.

It could be the culture now, no one treats it like they should. There was a good episode of King of the Hill, where Bobby was a scout and they taught them to make a fire by gathering sticks and tying thin pieces crate paper to them that was orange and red and forming a pile, with a small fan underneath it all to make the illusion of a fire. Also, the knives they handed out had rubber blades. The leaders did this to keep the young members safe from any type of burns or cuts. It was funny as hell. Hank wasn’t happy.

Last edited:
I knew something bad was up when I saw informicials trying to get support for a lawsuit against abused scouts.

I was a Scout. I only made it to Weblows.

I remember seeing in the news that there were a lot of cases of sex abuse. I guess some chapters were places a pedophile would hangout and spend time doing things with the young boys.

Eagle scout here! I am proud to be able to say that! But scouts in recent years was not what it once was. I am not surprised they are going under though. Once the LDS Church pulled out I knew it was only a matter of time. I was lucky to have some really great scoutmasters that worked hard to teach us and help us stay motivated.

One of my leaders was an ex-marine that had seen some crazy stuff in Vietnam. He had some wild stories and crazy sense of humor but he sure taught us a lot about being men. Grouchy old man that I hated having as a neighbor, but loved as a scout leader. He made us do the wilderness survival merit badge in some of the nastiest weather I ever remember and it about killed the whole troop. I had a horrible cough for at least 3 months afterwards. Luckily I stayed dry that night, despite all the rain, or I am certain I would've been in a heap of trouble that far from camp with hypothermia setting in.

Another leader I had was big into guns and long range shooting (long before it was so popular like it is now) and man did I learn a lot from that man. On camp outs he would gather us around the fire and read us stories about White Feather (Carlos Hathcock the famous sniper) late into the night. Times I will never forget as long as I live.

Could some of you write about the Churches leaving and why they may have..? I know nothing about that but enjoy learning.

I was not able to become a Boy Scout when I was young. I simply felt it was for wealthy Families and those Kids who had a Father. Mine died when I was age 10.

I was shunned by many Mothers and some Family Fathers due to my Mother having been a WWII Nazi and I was a Very Strong, High Intelligence, Blond, Blue Eyed child some Mothers termed, a Hitler Aryan ( context of the racist theories of European physical and mental superiority espoused by the Nazism ).

Such Mothers were/are correct. I was different so from 1st Grade forward, I hid much and the school placed/separated me at every recess. WWII had not been far enough back in History for such neighboring Families to forget the loss of their Loved ones.

I simply accepted such and always retained a Happy, Joyful Personality.

Jagerdad

The church cut ties when they BSA started making changes that were not on line with the beliefs and morals that they believed in.

The church cut ties when they BSA started making changes that were not on line with the beliefs and morals that they believed in.
When you say the church. I am assuming you mean the LDS church. As I understand it the baptist church was bigger into scouting then the LDS church . They jumped ship for the same reasons.

Bess, when our dads were scouts there werent many perverts that would dare touch a child, they knew they would either have a really bad accident, or just come up missing. I remember my dad talking with an uncle about a guy that liked little boys from their hometown. Uncle made a comment about the lake might not be deep, but the mud held shlt in , or so he heard.

I enjoyed scouts went on a lot of fun week long trips. Never got my eagle but loved when we camped somewhere we could fish. If I had kids they wouldn't go to scouts with today's world. I don't think boys and girls should be camping together at that age. Men go on those retreats to decompress. It's happened since the days of ancient civilization. But the PC mentality is a joke for this program. And there are some real sickos out there. Sucks for those who were abused by adults in scouts.

I was never in the Boy Scouts but we used to run into them while backpacking in the Wilderness. For the most part it seemed like a great program and I'm sure many kids had a good experience, but once in awhile we would come across a troop where the scout leaders were real a-holes. They were on some kind of ego trip. They abused those poor kids.

We were camped next to a troop one time and it started pouring down rain. They were woefully unprepared. We ended up giving them our shelter for the night but not before giving the scout masters an ear full. They hiked out the next day when the sun came out.

Interesting info. It states that the Mormon church is several times worse when it comes to sexual assault on Boy Scouts than Catholic Church.

Interesting info. It states that the Mormon church is several times worse when it comes to sexual assault on Boy Scouts than Catholic Church.

Ben, might want to reread again without your mormon hate glasses.
Direct quote... "The occurrence of sexual abuse in Scouting, experts have said, is several times higher than that in the Catholic Church."

The whole gest of the report is the scandal within the Mormon Church.

A reporter uncovers a file that reveals a shocking series of child-abuse allegations in Idaho's Boy Scouts, which rattle the community and implicate the Mormon church. The story reveals long-running crimes that threaten to bankrupt the Boy Scouts.
“Both the church and the Scouts are at fault here,” Knappenberger said. “I think the church has a sort of pattern of covering up this abuse, of not going to authorities when they learn about this stuff, of sending perpetrators to bishops and having bishops have talks with them to determine if they’ve repented, and then sending them back. And that process is very secretive, often kept in secret from the family of the victims.”

The Catholics and the Mormons are notorious for covering up sexual assaults on children.

Last edited:
We had a Scout troop in our tiny town, but it wasn't very active. One thing I appreciated about BSA is that generally speaking, Boy Scouts grew up to be fine young men. And the majority of the leaders were solid people. I remember a few years ago, I bought 120 or so intermediate sleeping bags (along with some other stuff) at a government auction in Barstow. I had no need for 118 of them, so I found some local Troops and gave them away. One of them invited me on a camp trip. It was awesome, seeing those young men work together and learn outdoor stuff.

My pops was a cowboy at Philmont back in the 40s. Lots of stories from there.

Im sad to see this happen. Sad that outside interests did them in.

"My pops was a cowboy at Philmont back in the 40s. Lots of stories from there."
I can imagine the cool stories feddoc! My dad was on staff there in the late 60's. He made a career out of it and retired as a professorial scouter for the BSA in the late 90's

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints cutting ties with BSA was a a bitter sweet moment. I'm still grateful for all that scouting gave to me as a young man. I'm also proud of the service I did as a scout leader for 16 years. It WAS a great program.

Taken from a B-24 crash on Trail Peak, 1942.

On the way to crash site.

YVhB3ho.jpg

RinIgcb.jpg

To clarify, BSA is not ending its programs. The national organization of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy to achieve two key objectives: equitably compensate victims who were harmed during their time in Scouting and continue to carry out Scouting’s mission for years to come.

The Local Councils all across the country have not filed for bankruptcy. They are legally separate, distinct and financially independent from the national organization.

Scouting programs will continue. This means that unit meetings and activities, district and council events, other Scouting adventures and countless service projects will take place as usual. In short, we expect no changes to the local Scouting experience.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom