Boycott Jim Zumbo

Packout

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-04 AT 08:32PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-04 AT 08:29?PM (MST)

I was hoping we could all email Jim Zumbo and Outdoor Life tommorrow to express our displeasure with them and thier support of USO. Jim drew a tag out of the "Court" draw and I have seen him refer to USO in his articles. I wonder if he cares that his kids in Wyoming may not be able to hunt their own state if these cases continue. Enough negative correspondance will get thier attention.

http://www.jimzumbo.com/contact.htm

Email Outdoor Life: [email protected]

Shedhunter, sorry to double post over your previous one, I didn't notice the Zumbo part.
Lets keep the pressure on.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-04 AT 02:27PM (MST)[p]Here is the response I received from Jim Zumbo. He says He WILL NOT hunt. That is big news.

Dear sportsmen and sportswomen,

Thank you for your email in reference to my association with George Taulman, owner of US Outfitters, and my drawing of an Arizona elk tag.

I'll try to answer your questions.

As I see it, there are three separate endeavors that George Taulman is invoved in. There is George Taulman the outfitter, George Taulman the licensing agent, and George Taulman the litigant who sued in the Arizona court.

I've known George Taulman ever since he started outfitting about 15 years ago. My first hunt with Taulman was with General Chuck Yeager in 1989 as a fund raiser for RMEF. I've hunted with Taulman a number of times since then, and practically all those hunts were with my editors from New York who wanted an elk hunt, and also with Tony Knight, owner of Knight modern muzzleloaders. Tony and I hunted several times with George to test new firearms that Tony was developing. Most of those hunts were unguided on public land. George essentially provided a bunk and meals, but I had my personal vehicle, and Tony and I hunted on our own, mostly on the Lincoln National Forest in New Mexico. For the record, I have not hunted elk with George Taulman for the last six years.

Taulman started his licensing business about 12 years ago, and he's been applying me to hunts since that time. This is how it works. For a fee, USO acts as my power of attorney and applies me to different units in different states. As one who makes a living writing about hunting, and now TV shows, I hunt in as many varied places as possible. It's not uncommon for me to hunt two dozen states each year. My average is 20 states per year, and I'm on the road 200 plus days a year. Obviously, it's an advantage for me to have a licensing agent to take care of the details and paperwork. As you and half the west now knows, I drew an elk tag in Arizona this year. I believe I had five bonus points when I drew the elk tag. The last tag I drew through USO was in 2001, and that was a moose tag in Utah. I had been applying for that tag for about 15 years. Since 2001, I have failed to draw at least 100 tags that I had applied for through USO.

As far as the court case, I am in no way involved in this litigation. Anyone who assumes that I am is misinformed. Here's my take on this. When Taulman first told me about this litigation effort, I was not in approval if it meant that I had to share equally my tag with nonresidents. As a Wyoming resident, for example, I have the privilege of having priority over tags because I'm a resident, as all of you do in your home states. I can buy an elk or deer tag at Walmart, but you, as a nonresident, must apply. I believe in states rights. Even though much wildlife ranges on federal land, I believe that a resident should have some sort of preference, but I also believe that you as a nonresident should be able to hunt here as well. In fact, I lived in Utah for 14 years, and continually applied for Wyoming tags, but couldn't draw. I became so frustrated that I moved here!

There are currently some unfair practices that discriminate against nonresidents. In North Dakota, nonresidents cannot hunt turkeys. In California and South Dakota, nonresidents cannot hunt elk. In Montana, nonresidents cannot apply for bighorn sheep tags in some of the top units in the state. In Idaho, only residents could hunt moose until two years ago, even though most moose lived on federal land. That law was rightfully changed recently. In my home state of Wyoming, a nonresident cannot hunt a wilderness area without a guide. That is a bad law, inferring that you nonresidents aren't as savvy about survival and woods skills as a resident is. I know some Wyoming hunters who would get lost when they got out of sight of a paved road, and I know nonresidents that are outstanding woodsmen.

I don't know where this litigation will go. From what I understand, it's possible that in the extreme scenario, in all states, the tags will be be allocated 50-50. In other words, a nonresident can have as much a chance to hunt here in Wyoming as I can. When that happens, I won't be a happy camper, if I cannot buy a general tag in my own state. You, as a nonresident, might be a very happy camper, but you won't like it when YOU have to draw against nonresidents on a 50-50 basis in your own state. Arizona is different, as are a few other states, where even residents have to draw, and cannot just buy a general license.So you see, this is a double-edged sword. Nobody wins. But we hunters lose. This is another example of how we shoot ourselves in the foot, by bickering and arguing. The animal rights people love it. Trust me, I've interviewed many of them, and situations like this are exactly what they want to see.

I can certainly understand why Arizona residents are upset. I would be, too, if I was in that situation. I'm not sure exactly how this draw worked, but I'm told that I, and other nonresidents, were drawn specifically because of Taulman's litigation. Frankly, I had no clue that this was all going on, and I was surprised to get the tag. I also believe I've been unfairly broadsided by some of you who have made erroneous assumptions with my relationship with George Taulman. Again, I had no part in the litigation.

For your information, I will not hunt Arizona for elk this year. This decision did not come about because of the negative communications I've received. I love a good fight, but this is not a good fight. It's divisive. It's bad for hunters and hunting. Sure, I could hunt Arizona and perhaps kill the biggest bull of my life. I will not hunt there to make my point.

I hope this all ends peacefully, but right now it is a volatile issue. Thanks again for writing, even those of you who want me tarred and feathered. Believe it or not, I try to represent all hunters in my work. I'm a board member of the United States Sportsmen's Alliance, a national group headed by ##### Cabela that lobbies for hunting everywhere against anti-hunters. I preach hunting ethics and fair chase in everything I write. I can assure you that I have never asked for or received favoritism. Many people believe that because of my status in a national hunting magazine, I get strings pulled. I have honestly never known that to happen.

Good hunting,

Jim Zumbo

I recieved this email and was pleased to see Mr. Zumbo step up and do the right thing. I see he wont be hunting Elk in AZ with Taulman/USO and that is the kind of Statement I was hoping he would make............Great job Jim Zumbo.... Allen Taylor......

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-04 AT 02:34PM (MST)[p]Well finally an advantage to living in Ca., I dought if nonresidents will ever storm our borders for deer tags. Sheep and elk might be another story.

JB

PS- very nice response from Jim Zumbo

This is a great response from Jim Zumbo. I have met and talked with Jim a number of times at Sportsman Int. shows in Sacramento and he is friendly and will talk to you, unlike a new other "sportsman" that pedal their services and products.

Brian

I just sent Jim Zumbo a thank you note for not supporting USO. I will be interested in seeing Jim's picture and quote removed from the USO web site...

TheHunt

Here is what I sent Jim.

I just want to drop you a note to thank you for not elk hunting in Arizona this year. I know what hunting in Arizona is like and this is a self sacrifice.

Sometimes being a leader one must make self sacrifice. You stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. Your self sacrifice will bring you even more respect from the hunters. This will be reflected during the sportsman shows this coming year.

Thank you for your support

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-04 AT 05:58PM (MST)[p]I have always found Jim to be "one of us" with a lot of common sense. He always seems to be one to fight for the little guy, and this is no execption. I am not surprised that he has taken this stand. I will also send him a thank you note.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I also am a big Jim Zumbo supporter. I have had the privilege to sit down and chat with him on several occasions. A couple of times for more than an hour or more. He is a real down to earth dude. Hell, we even talked about me taking him on a whitetail hunt in Easten Washington in 2005 or 2006. His reaction to this situation comes as no supprise to me. He truly is a class act in favor of the regular guy hunters.
I also am glad to see him step up to the plate against this crap.
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

Eric

>I just sent Jim Zumbo a
>thank you note for not
>supporting USO. I will
>be interested in seeing Jim's
>picture and quote removed from
>the USO web site...
>
>TheHunt

Did he say he will stop using USO for a tag service?

WOW, eating a unit 10 tag. If it were me, I would hunt and make sure it was filmed. Then take the opportunity to state your opposition to the way it was handled and let everyone know that you were not involved. Jim, go on the hunt. Hire a local guide and give him / her the props when you tag a bruiser bull.

I agree with you "Someburro" I think Jim Zumbo should still go on his hunt but do it without USO! And still never use USO again in the future.
But help the Arizona economy and hire a local outfitter and spend money at the local stores. Hit USO where it hurts give the money to someone else!! But he should still be able to enjoy his hunt!

horn

Wow . How are you all getting a hold of him? I'd like to send a thanks you 2.
jeff

First post has a link for his website. Just enter that and it has an email link.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Jim Zumbo is truely one of the "Good Guys" in our industry. Jim and I have hunted together several times and a finer gentleman in the field I have not met. He is truely bothered by this bull@#$% that Taulman has brought down on him, and has decided to act on it.

Jim should be praised by his decision to dump this hunt. As was stated above, there was a ton of self sacrifice that comes with this decision. We all know how hard it is to get one of these tags, and then to eat it to make a point is incredible. But that's the kind of guy Jim is. He is a good, honest, hard working man, who worked his tail off to get where he is and he's the kind of guy that will take being hit by the pitch for the team. His team is every one of us who enjoys this sport. Jim should receive an email from each and every one of us, thanking him for doing the right thing.

Kirk Kelso
Pusch Ridge Outfitters

It might be that because of contract he might be forced to go with USO or not go at all.. I don't know how that would work.

He received my thanks....I also asked him if it would be possible to allow a under priviledge child to use his tag by way of donating it, or take a termanally ill child hunting with it. Turn a negative into a positive.

USO cannot hold his tag. All he has to do is go to the G&F office and get a duplicate.

Yeah..that was a REAL sacrifice on Jim's part, wasn't it? Now he can only hunt in 19 states this year for free.

If he really wanted to make a difference, and put some "wood behind the arrow", why doesn't he write an article for Outdoor Life condemning USO and their actions? Why doesn't he use his fanbase and media influence to start a boycott of USO and their sponsors?

Too risky to his image? Might cause him to make some real sacrifices?

I think it's funny that so many people here applauded Mr. Zumbo for not using the tag. But to me it's like Bill Gates making a $10,000 donation to a charity - to most of us that would be a big deal, but to Bill Gates it's spare change.

So Mr. Zumbo will throw away a coveted elk tag, essentially throwing away the opportunity that many hunters (both resident and non-resident)have tried to obtain for a long time. This belittles and shows disrespect for the tag itself. By throwing it away, all Mr. Zumbo's accomplished was denying another hunter the chance at the tag.

Way to go, Jim...and good luck on those 19 other hunts this year.

Regardless, he obviously disapproves of USO's aggression and publically stated it. That took some gonads, plus he strongly took sides against USO. I appreciate him giving up his tag, especially since it is one of 850 extra tags that were givin out to NR's, 850 more than was supposed to be.

I don't personally know the man but would state:

"With his track record, I suggest that there will be one Less Quality bull taken from AZ Residents hands!"

Nofear4

Of course I'm envious of Mr. Zumbo. What sportsmen wouldn't be? Let's see, he gets to hunt in 20 plus states a year, on an almost limitless budget, and gets paid to do so.

However, regardless of envy, that still doesn't change, in my opinion, his rather limited response to a critical hunting issue. Again, if he feels so strongly about it, why not use the vast resources he has available to him to do something about it, instead of just trying to appease the public outcry with an email response and the choice to not participate in one of his twenty hunts this year.

Color me green....

He hasn't even received the tag yet! What's he supposed to do? Put out a special edition of Outdoor Life within the last 7 days? How do you know he won't write an article about it? You know that those mags are written and compiled months in advance right?

I certainly hope he will write an article about it, as should you, and any other hunter that is concerned about this ruling. That's the point of these posts.

And you are correct that the magazines are probably planned months in advance. However, with the proliferation of the internet in this day and age, articles can be published immediately. (I checked both Outdoor Life.com and Jim Zumbo's personal site - nothing from Jim).

My point is, don't make a hero out of Jim Zumbo becasue he wrote an email response and turned down a free hunt. IF he does use his resources to help this situation, I will be the first to applaud him.

Believe me, I'd love to be wrong about this one.....

Just curious, but how do you know it is a 'free" hunt? You saying someone paid for his tag, his transportation, his guide, his camp, paid the guide tip, paid the taxidermist and meat processor?

Most of the time, outfitters will give a free hunt to an outdoor writer/TV show in exchange for the publicity it will get them. Also, Outdoor Life would assuredly pay for the tag and transportation - just part of his job expenses. As for the tip, taxidermist, and meat processing - who knows? Still a pretty good deal though....

From his newest article at OL:

"The bad news about the area is the need to draw a tag in a lottery. These prized units have a fair amount of public land, huge bulls and exceptionally high hunter success rates. It takes several years of applying to build up enough points to draw.

The good news is that landowner tags are available through outfitters. These need not be drawn; you can book directly with the outfitter and he'll take care of the tag requirement."

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/hunting/biggame/article/0,19912,672990-2,00.html

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom