Brain eating zombie disease

highfastflyer

Very Active Member
If this CWD ever jumps to humans deer hunting is doomed. Now scientists are worried it will cross over to humans who unwittingly eat meat from infected animals. Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease professor from the University of Minnesota, estimates that up to 15,000 infected animals are eaten by humans every year and could rise. “It’s possible the number of human cases will be substantial and will not be isolated events,” he told USA Today. Osterholm likens the potential for human infection to Mad Cow disease which spread across the United Kingdom in the 80s and 90s and which was also a so-called prion disease, which are known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies. He warns that eating wild game is increasingly risky. “It's like a throw at the genetic roulette table,” he said. “If Stephen King could write an infectious disease novel, he’d write it about prions.” Symptoms of the disease, which starts in the tissues of the brain and spinal cord, are weight loss, clumsiness, listlessness, excessive thirst and drooling. Animals often exhibit bursts of aggression before collapsing and, eventually, dying. https://www.thedailybeast.com/brain-eating-zombie-deer-disease-will-likely-spread-to-humans

This is old news they have already tested it on monkeys. The only way they could get monkeys to contract the disease is by injecting it straight into their brains. I know ive eaten cwd and im not worried about it

I live and hunt an endemic area with lots of hunters that eat their kills and never get them tested. In the 33 years we've been here not a single case of variant CJD in our area.
The sky is not falling.

I live and hunt an endemic area with lots of hunters that eat their kills and never get them tested. In the 33 years we've been here not a single case of variant CJD in our area.
The sky is not falling.
We also were told Covid-19 could never skip from animals to humans as they would need to develop a spike like protein attachment mechanism. Well, surprise, surprise. SMH.

This Ain't New NEWS!

A Guy Several Years ago that Ate alot of Deer & Elk Meat Died of the Human Strain of CWD!

I Can't Remember the Exact Name of it in the Human Strain!

So Don't Ever Wonder if Humans Can Get it!

Cause They Damn Sure Can!

You Might Have to Wear a Mask While Hunting,Shooting,Gutting & Eating Your Animals!

If You turn your Deer in And it Tests Positive for CWD even after You had it Processed & it's in your Freezer!

And then the DWR Shows up & Takes Your pocessed Meat,does that tell you anything?

Out of the Article You Posted wytex:

"""It is currently unknown if CWD poses a risk to human health. However, determining this risk is critical to preventing a scenario similar to that which occurred when mad cow disease was found to be transmissible to humans."""

There is a Dead Guy that did get it believe Me!

Who knows everything about anything, nobody.
CWD is endemic to our area and not even one case of vCJD.
Is it possible maybe, but show me one proven case that jumped from cervids to humans. No study has proven it can yet.

Post up the human case.

It seems research is getting closer and closer to demonstrating human transmission is highly likely now with monkeys contracting it.
“in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e., deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD. CWD was also able to spread to macaques that had the infectious material placed directly into their brains.”

It seems research is getting closer and closer to demonstrating human transmission is highly likely now with monkeys contracting it.
“in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e., deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD. CWD was also able to spread to macaques that had the infectious material placed directly into their brains.”

Was that study replicated yet ?

Direct comparison of the ability of the CWD agent to cause disease in squirrel monkeys following experimental i.c. inoculation and the susceptibility of humans to CWD infection must be interpreted with caution. Although squirrel monkeys are susceptible to experimental infection with kuru and CJD, they are also susceptible to experimental infection with scrapie (8), and there is no epidemiological evidence to suggest that scrapie can be transmitted to humans (16). These data suggest, following direct cerebral inoculation, squirrel monkeys may not be a good experimental model for assessing human susceptibility to animal prion diseases. Oral exposure is the likely natural route of human exposure to CWD, and in experimental animals, this route is much less efficient at causing disease than i.c. inoculation (3, 7, 12). Therefore, the ability of scrapie and CWD to cause disease in primates by oral infection needs to be established to further resolve the issue of susceptibility of humans to CWD infection.

From this:

Interspecies Transmission of Chronic Wasting Disease Prions to Squirrel Monkeys (Saimiri sciureus)​

Need to study more monkeys it seems.

Its been around for along time. It use to be called winter kill now we have a name for it. About all western states will get your meat tested for free so if your worries get it tested before you eat it.

Not much we can do about it. It’s like Covid, the more you test the more you find. Doesn’t mean it’s any more or less serious than when it started.

Where is this thread going? Are we not supposed to eat deer or elk meat again? Hopefully, there is something better to read elsewhere.

Was that study replicated yet ?”
Many studies have demonstrated monkeys as susceptible to CWD.
There is also strong evidence for the transmission of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) from cattle to humans.

The study showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e., deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD. It was only the Maccquae monkeys that they injected it into their brains. Squirrel monkeys got it by merely eating infected meat.

Ok, I'll ask again. What's your point?

If it's just a chat to bone us all up on the new developments, by all means lets see them.

If it's just a chat to bone us all up on the new developments, by all means lets see them.
That's what I was asking too. I read another of his threads on genetics and mule deer. I think we have a professor wanting to educate us........

People can draw their own conclusions. We know this is a very tragic occurrence and will be with us likely throughout our lifetimes. These prions are very persistent. For example, in 1985 when the Colorado Division of Wildlife tried to eliminate CWD from a research facility by treating the soil with chlorine, removing the treated soil, and applying an additional chlorine treatment before letting the facility remain vacant for more than a year, they were unsuccessful in eliminating CWD from the facility. They also are now known to spread by the aid of plants.

People can draw their own conclusions. We know this is a very tragic occurrence and will be with us likely throughout our lifetimes. These prions are very persistent. For example, in 1985 when the Colorado Division of Wildlife tried to eliminate CWD from a research facility by treating the soil with chlorine, removing the treated soil, and applying an additional chlorine treatment before letting the facility remain vacant for more than a year, they were unsuccessful in eliminating CWD from the facility. They also are now known to spread by the aid of plants.
This one already went thru this kindergarden about a year ago. But yes, I am far more concerned with a deer crapping in my garden than shooting spikes in texa$$.

Isn't CWD linked to captive breeding programs?
It is well established in wild herds in many states.
B25B0929-A49C-4056-9AC5-54416E09EB22.jpeg

Isn't CWD linked to captive breeding programs?
When it was originally discovered it was is captive type facilities. Since then it has been discovered in many areas with no links to captive breed programs. In NM it’s in 2 southern counties, the above map isn’t correct. It’s been here for 20-25 yrs, hasn’t spread, hasn’t hurt the herd #s but a few positives show up every year or two it seems

When it was originally discovered it was is captive type facilities. Since then it has been discovered in many areas with no links to captive breed programs. In NM it’s in 2 southern counties, the above map isn’t correct. It’s been here for 20-25 yrs, hasn’t spread, hasn’t hurt the herd #s but a few positives show up every year or two it seems
I am aware. Was wondering how the OP would triangulate between the captive breeding thread he/she also posted.

There is NOTHING new in this thread, nor does there appear to be a point.

I'm raising my hand!! What is the point of your thread? Do you have a cure, or do you think all of us deer hunters are going to eventually perish, from consuming deer meat?
You can draw your own conclusions, it’s just information. This is all new to many of us as it moves into our hunting grounds where it never existed before. The hope would be a potential vaccine or cure long term, maybe it’s wishful thinking. Another big factor if Wyoming closes all the elk feed lots in Western Wyoming this is assuredly going to negatively affect the mule deer herds with tens of thousands of elk now hammering winter ranges that are already in poor shape, many mitigating factors to consider.

Last edited:
New Mexico is doing a very good job of testing. Three counties now have it.
  1. Dona Ana
  2. Otero
  3. Socorro. https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/occurrence.html

I am aware. Was wondering how the OP would triangulate between the captive breeding thread he/she also posted.

There is NOTHING new in this thread, nor does there appear to be a point.
You are aware now, your post indicates you weren’t before. Most states have made it illegal to introduce game farm animals directly into wild herds. Some large ranches have used a darting program and artificial insemination to improve genetics. Other strategies like game feeders and bringing in does to areas where the large, dominant genetic specimen you want to utilize for breeding will be surrounded by more does for servicing through game feeders and water tanks in wild herds.

All of the CWD in the US originated from the Pens of CSU in the 60s and spread from there naturally or in a trailer. Even the cases in southern NM were most likely hauled there from Colorado. Story is that some generals had the pull to transport some big mule deer bucks down from Colorado in the past. It is only in other countries where it seems to have spontaneously arrisen. Is this my opinion? Yes, but the facts back it up to about a 95% certainty. Any other stories that are told to the contrary are made up by deer breeders. Breeders still contend that it arose spontaneously in Texas and has always been here: NOT!

You are aware now, your post indicates you weren’t before. Most states have made it illegal to introduce game farm animals directly into wild herds. Some large ranches have used a darting program and artificial insemination to improve genetics. Other strategies like game feeders and bringing in does to areas where the large, dominant genetic specimen you want to utilize for breeding will be surrounded by more does for servicing through game feeders and water tanks in wild herds.
You need to cut back on eating brain and spinal material.........

You can draw your own conclusions, it’s just information. This is all new to many of us as it moves into our hunting grounds where it never existed before. The hope would be a potential vaccine or cure long term, maybe it’s wishful thinking. Another big factor if Wyoming closes all the elk feed lots in Western Wyoming this is assuredly going to negatively affect the mule deer herds with tens of thousands of elk now hammering winter ranges that are already in poor shape, many mitigating factors to consider.
I did draw my own conclusion. This information is irrelevant to me. It won't change anywhere or any way that I hunt. Unless, all of the deer die from it, before there's a vaccine.

I did draw my own conclusion. This information is irrelevant to me. It won't change anywhere or any way that I hunt. Unless, all of the deer die from it, before there's a vaccine.

Unless it jumps to humans as infected meat has passed it along to monkeys. It was never intended to change how you hunt, more so on meat processing and proper precautions.
Recommendations are:
Have your animal tested if hunting in a known CWD area.
  • Do not shoot, handle or consume any animal that is acting abnormally or appears to be sick. Contact your state game and fish department if you see or harvest an animal that appears sick.
  • Wear latex or rubber gloves when field dressing your deer or elk.
  • Bone out the meat from your animal. Don’t saw through bone, and avoid cutting through the brain or spinal cord (backbone).
  • Minimize the handling of brain and spinal tissues.
  • Wash hands and instruments thoroughly after field dressing is completed.
  • Avoid consuming brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils and lymph nodes of harvested animals. (Normal field dressing coupled with boning out a carcass will remove most, if not all, of these body parts. Cutting away all fatty tissue will remove remaining lymph nodes.)
  • Avoid consuming the meat from any animal that tests positive for the disease.
  • If you have your deer or elk commercially processed, request that your animal is processed individually, without meat from other animals being added to meat from your animal.

Unless it jumps to humans as infected meat has passed it along to monkeys. It was never intended to change how you hunt, more so on meat processing and proper precautions.
Recommendations are:
Have your animal tested if hunting in a known CWD area.
  • Do not shoot, handle or consume any animal that is acting abnormally or appears to be sick. Contact your state game and fish department if you see or harvest an animal that appears sick.
  • Wear latex or rubber gloves when field dressing your deer or elk.
  • Bone out the meat from your animal. Don’t saw through bone, and avoid cutting through the brain or spinal cord (backbone).
  • Minimize the handling of brain and spinal tissues.
  • Wash hands and instruments thoroughly after field dressing is completed.
  • Avoid consuming brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils and lymph nodes of harvested animals. (Normal field dressing coupled with boning out a carcass will remove most, if not all, of these body parts. Cutting away all fatty tissue will remove remaining lymph nodes.)
  • Avoid consuming the meat from any animal that tests positive for the disease.
  • If you have your deer or elk commercially processed, request that your animal is processed individually, without meat from other animals being added to meat from your animal.
No thanks! I appreciate the advice, but there is nothing new, that I haven't heard. It's printed in about every western hunting manual/digest.
Let's move onto the next topic.

All of the CWD in the US originated from the Pens of CSU in the 60s and spread from there naturally or in a trailer. Even the cases in southern NM were most likely hauled there from Colorado. Story is that some generals had the pull to transport some big mule deer bucks down from Colorado in the past. It is only in other countries where it seems to have spontaneously arrisen. Is this my opinion? Yes, but the facts back it up to about a 95% certainty. Any other stories that are told to the contrary are made up by deer breeders. Breeders still contend that it arose spontaneously in Texas and has always been here: NOT!
Never have heard any Rumor of Generals bringing deer in to WSMR. I’ve worked there on and off for 20+ years and have never heard that. Why would Generals bring deer here back in the 70’s- 80’s WSMR deer populations were enormous and big deer were plentiful. Maybe generals wife had a pet deer??? Now it dang sure could have been brought here through soil or plants or dead deer parts

More Bad news as the first elk on the National Elk refuge tests positive which will likely hasten the closure of the National elk feed ground. Bad news long term if all 22 elk feed lots are closed by the state as 75,000 elk are now going to compete with the already struggling and way below objective Wyoming Range deer herd. Wyoming Game and Fish has confirmed that an elk in Grand Teton National Park has tested positive for Chronic Wasting Disease on Dec. 16. The department’s Wildlife Health Laboratory ran samples from a cow elk harvested thru Grand Teton’s herd reduction program. https://mybighornbasin.com/1st-elk-with-cwd-found-in-grand-teton-national-park/

Those feedlots would be an ideal place to treat a herd with some miracle cure. Too bad the only one we have is lead.

Research underway for a rapid field hunter test kit which hunters could test an animal in the field to gain immediate test results. Kind of like a pregnancy test kit for rapid results. They are also working on a kit which can test live animals instead of being only able. To test dead animals. This would help immensely on the Elk feed ground lots in Wyoming if elk could be herded into a large corral and then ran through a livestock chute for testing. Vaccines are likely decades away unless you subscribe to Dr. Bastian’s bacteria theory but most experts do NOT. https://cvm.msu.edu/news/2019/900k-awarded-for-new-cwd-field-testing-project

Ah, the old "sheep dip". Google that one and see if there are any alleged health issues.

This response to CWD is looking suspiciously like our response to COVID. We need masks and social distancing on the winter range.

The elk will soon get a little social distancing when they close the elk feed lots, starting with 10,000 elk on the National Elk Refuge.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom