Brass Annealing, how many are doing it and how often?

I anneal after roughly every 3rd firing or so. If you are already shooting small groups, it will help maintain original neck tension by softening the brass as it naturally hardens through the sizing process.

If I don't anneal, I do notice slight increases in SD/ES.

I recently started turning necks on one rifle (7mm stw) using a bushing neck die. It's up for debate but guys tell me once you go thin on the necks, you should anneal before every firing. Not sure I buy it yet.
I'm not pushing them hard is the reason I say that.

I anneal almost everything. I try to do it as a step before each firing but I’ve been known to skip a time or two. It definitely helps me with accuracy. I’m doing some 22 K Hornets right now.

9BB7D4F1-743D-4982-8020-95A8F7EC6105.jpeg

I've never annealed my brass but many like CC do.
Some, like him, do it almost every firing but many others only do it after 3-5 firings.
I'm sure it helps because lots of guys swear by it, but for a hunter, it's probably not critical.

I've never annealed my brass but many like CC do.
Some, like him, do it almost every firing but many others only do it after 3-5 firings.
I'm sure it helps because lots of guys swear by it, but for a hunter, it's probably not critical.
I agree, and that's always been good for most guy's shooting a 100 rounds a year. Now, with brass not available and over priced, maybe one should anneal every reload.

It will usually show improvements when other steps are included. The other steps that should go along with annealing is Neck turning and brushing the inside of the necks. The best results are on brass other than Lapua. Lapua doesn’t need anything really. If you Anneal, turn necks and brush inside necks with a right size nylon brush on a case prep center, it will make the neck tension more consistent and help the SD. I won’t anneal for the 30-30. The 257 Roberts I won’t either. Annealing for those two just seems like brain damage to me. Any target/varmint round I will.

I anneal new 257 Robert’s brass before fireforming to Ackley Improved. I have never tried annealing after fireforming but may give it a try. Some of my brass definitely has harder neck material.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom