Breaking and making a Record

bstewy

Well 2020 seems to have been quite the year for most and I'll include myself in that group. Over the past few years I've taken a passion to hunting, but in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020, I've been able to go ahead and lock my passion down for good. In 2017 I took off on my own without the help and guidance of my grandpa who taught me to hunt, and ended up taking a nice unique 4 point. In 2018, I got to experience Alaska and take a nice blacktail buck along with a small caribou. Following my return home, I harvested the biggest buck of my life once again! In 2019 was able to I was able to take a spike elk with my recently purchased mathews vertix, and again in 2020 I was able to take the biggest buck I've ever taken!

lets hear your stories and see your pictures on what got you hooked!

20181021_171814.jpg
IMG-20181021-WA0001.jpg
20171021_132252.jpg
20190827_200125.jpg
20181014_181230.jpg
image3.jpeg

bstewy, nice last few years.

You asked for story's that got you into hunting.
Back in the spring of 79 I had just notched my first hunting season with a small three point Mule deer to my credit. That spring kicked off what would be a like long obsession with shed hunting. Sure I had found a few shed antlers earlier but my good luck that spring is what really started things off.
Here is the story.
Dad, a friend and I were up on the National Forest to go over the fence of a small parcel of private land. It was a great day, dad and his buddy were telling hunting stories and as a young budding hunter I was eating everyone of them up like they were a fine steak.
Most of the fence you could drive right along side of but there are two draws and maybe a half mile of fence that is too timbered and rough to drive. Dad stops at the top of the first draw and say's " Son, look at the fence in the draws and we will pick you up on back by the old corrals when we are done" I was devastated, No more hunting stories, instead I would be trudging through the timber and heat looking at an old fence.
When I got to the bottom of the second draw I spotted a bit of antler sticking out of the tall grass. A shed antler was my first thought, maybe this hike wasn't so bad. It wasn't a shed but a dead head. When I got over two it I thought " what is wrong with this deer, his skull is so small. Quickly I realized the skull was not small, the antlers were huge. I started counting points, 10 per side, I couldn't even come close to getting my hands around the mainbeams. This deer was bigger than huge. I went from disappointment to euphoria in an instant.
I grabbed the head and ran out of the draws as fast as my little legs would take me. When I got to the corrals Dad was still a good half mile away checking fence. I stuffed the head under the loading chute and started running across the pasture. Dad saw me and figured something was wrong and left to fence to see what was up. " What is up son" he asked when he got to me. I replied out of breath" I just found the biggest whitetail head you will ever see" Dad replied " Good , get in the truck" I jumped into the pickup assuming we immediately go and see my lucky find. No it was back to the fence. I could not contain myself. "Dad, you have to see this head, lets go get it." I would say. " I sure it is a nice one son, It isn't going anywhere and can wait" he would reply.
After what seamed like eternity we finally finished with the fence and drove back to the corral. I jumped out of the truck with the speed of scared jackrabbit and pulled the head out form under the old loading chute. Dads jaw just about hit the ground with astonishment.

Two be continued when I an not late for work and have time to dig up a picture.

bstewy, nice last few years.

You asked for story's that got you into hunting.
Back in the spring of 79 I had just notched my first hunting season with a small three point Mule deer to my credit. That spring kicked off what would be a like long obsession with shed hunting. Sure I had found a few shed antlers earlier but my good luck that spring is what really started things off.
Here is the story.
Dad, a friend and I were up on the National Forest to go over the fence of a small parcel of private land. It was a great day, dad and his buddy were telling hunting stories and as a young budding hunter I was eating everyone of them up like they were a fine steak.
Most of the fence you could drive right along side of but there are two draws and maybe a half mile of fence that is too timbered and rough to drive. Dad stops at the top of the first draw and say's " Son, look at the fence in the draws and we will pick you up on back by the old corrals when we are done" I was devastated, No more hunting stories, instead I would be trudging through the timber and heat looking at an old fence.
When I got to the bottom of the second draw I spotted a bit of antler sticking out of the tall grass. A shed antler was my first thought, maybe this hike wasn't so bad. It wasn't a shed but a dead head. When I got over two it I thought " what is wrong with this deer, his skull is so small. Quickly I realized the skull was not small, the antlers were huge. I started counting points, 10 per side, I couldn't even come close to getting my hands around the mainbeams. This deer was bigger than huge. I went from disappointment to euphoria in an instant.
I grabbed the head and ran out of the draws as fast as my little legs would take me. When I got to the corrals Dad was still a good half mile away checking fence. I stuffed the head under the loading chute and started running across the pasture. Dad saw me and figured something was wrong and left to fence to see what was up. " What is up son" he asked when he got to me. I replied out of breath" I just found the biggest whitetail head you will ever see" Dad replied " Good , get in the truck" I jumped into the pickup assuming we immediately go and see my lucky find. No it was back to the fence. I could not contain myself. "Dad, you have to see this head, lets go get it." I would say. " I sure it is a nice one son, It isn't going anywhere and can wait" he would reply.
After what seamed like eternity we finally finished with the fence and drove back to the corral. I jumped out of the truck with the speed of scared jackrabbit and pulled the head out form under the old loading chute. Dads jaw just about hit the ground with astonishment.

Two be continued when I an not late for work and have time to dig up a picture.
After dad got done picking up his jaw, he was jabbering like a kid. I as not kidding, I have found the biggest Whitetail that he had ever seen. We showed it to all of his hunting buddies and all agreed that we should get it scored. Net score of 209+
100_0046.JPG
I never received so many congratulations in my life. For a while I was the man in school and in Dad's hunting circle. For a kid that didn't get the best of grades and was far from athletically gifted the feeling was better than any drug. I wanted more, so I started to look for antlers. I still get a fix every time I find a good one and more than 40 years later I have found somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand sheds and deadhead but have yet to top the find that started it all when I was a lad of twelve. I can remember that day like it was yesterday, truly life changing day.

I love it! Your story is definitely different, geologically different too. Definitely awesome how you feel the same fire.

After dad got done picking up his jaw, he was jabbering like a kid. I as not kidding, I have found the biggest Whitetail that he had ever seen. We showed it to all of his hunting buddies and all agreed that we should get it scored. Net score of 209+ View attachment 24965I never received so many congratulations in my life. For a while I was the man in school and in Dad's hunting circle. For a kid that didn't get the best of grades and was far from athletically gifted the feeling was better than any drug. I wanted more, so I started to look for antlers. I still get a fix every time I find a good one and more than 40 years later I have found somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand sheds and deadhead but have yet to top the find that started it all when I was a lad of twelve. I can remember that day like it was yesterday, truly life changing day.
Holy cow man, look at that dead head. Thanks for sharing!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom