Breaking in Barrel New Rifle

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
Finally we got some ammunition for the 6.5PRC - Custom Handloads out of Montana (Choice Ammo) 120 grain barnes ttsx. The gun is a Christensen Arms MESA 24" barrel and I put a viper vortex 6.5-20 50MM BDC on it. It's my sons gun and were headed to the range next week. Any recommendations for barrel break in or sighting in the scope? Should I be asking for ballistic data from the ammo manufacturer. Says right on the box 3,185 fps.

Start with a solvent dipped patch, then a dry patch, fire one round. Repeat ten times. Then, three shot group, wet patch, dry patch, repeat two more times. You can use the three shot groups for adjustment of scope.

O1/CLEAR BORE First make sure that the barrel is clean and free of any oil or solvents from shipping or the manufacturing processes. Fire either a 5 shot group or two three shot groups. O2/ BOREBRUSH With the bore guide inserted, run the soaked patch through the barrel breach to muzzle, removing it at the muzzle. Repeat this with a new soaked patch 3 times or until no black is showing on the patch. Then, using the correct- for- caliber size nylon brush soaked, scrub the barrel back and forth making sure the brush completely exits the muzzle and chamber before reversing direction. Repeat this step 20 times for a total of 40 passes through the barrel. Follow this with a dry patch removing as it exits the muzzle. Repeat this until the patch comes out clean and dry. O3 SMALL BOREBRUSH Next, using the smaller brush, run a soaked patch through the bbl scrubbing back and forth for a total of 20 passes through the bbl. Again, make sure that the patch exits the bbl on both ends before reversing direction. You will notice a blue tint on the soaked patches, this is from the copper being dissolved. Follow with dry patches until the patches come out clean and dry. Repeat this process until the soaked patches show no blue coloration. O4 SHOOT AGAIN Shoot another 5 rounds or 2 Three-Shot groups O5 REPEAT STEPS 2-4 As you repeat this sequence, you will begin to notice that your patches start to become clean quicker. This is because the rough surfaces that are holding brass are being smoothed out a little at a time. Over my years as a custom gunsmith, I feel like 50 rounds on average is the sweet spot for most bbls. Some will smooth up faster and some will take longer depending on the bbl and the cartridge it is chambered for. I have had bbls that, in the prime of their life will clean up with no brushing with as little as five to ten passes with the soaked patch. Remember that every bbl is dierent; this is a guideline, not an absolute process and enjoy your time at the range with your rifle. Note: The small- for- caliber nylon brush is meant to be used with a cleaning patch wrapped corner to corner like a diamond in place on a standard jag. The bristles of the brush keep the patch pressed tight against the bore and groove and increase the surface area of the patch to bbl contact. Note: After each cleaning sequence, you will want to make certain that there is no solvent or oil residue left in the chamber. When the cartridge is fired it expands and the brass will “grip” the chamber walls. Solvents and oils will not allow this to happen and will increase the amount of thrust directly to the bolt face. This can often times be misinterpreted as excessive chamber pressure.

I personally prefer using the “speedy” method. You can google it and get the full run down.

I also use Butch’s Boreshine and sweets 7.62 as my solvents and such.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom