Breaks Deer 2021

edpre

Hey all - been a few years since I've been on this board. Been busy raising little ones. Well, my son is now 11 and has the bug just like his dad. His mom gave us the thumbs high for our first "out west" trip and I'm set on the Breaks, specifically 622 so we can camp at Fourchette Bay and boat from there. Rifle opener for a week so we beat the possibility of bad weather. Already camped on the roadside for 3 days with gumbo tires after a little sprinkle! Been there, done that! He's heard the stories for years - I've chased elk around there with the bow a few times and my peanut 4 point muley is on the wall from down in 700. I'd appreciate some updated info, pointers, and especially some pics of Breaks bucks - so he can get an idea of what we'll be looking for. I know that our odds of packing out a monster aren't that great, but I know the area and it has some history for me. And any respectable buck will be a trophy for us. Pic is for attention - and that's his archery whitey from this year and my daughter with her first ever - also from this year! And yes, she bagged it with pink heart tights on!
Thanks in advance!

kids pic.jpg

Probably 2010 and again in 2012. Archery elk. Passed up some decent bucks looking for a good bull. Back in the late 90's or early 2000's I did a canned guided rifle muley hunt in 700.

The pressure is even greater today than when you were out there in 2010 but that shouldn't stop you. There are a lot more hunters using boats than in the past.

IMO opinion you would have to luck into a great buck but that is about anywhere. This year the winter has been wide open and there were a lot deer around so next year the numbers should hold up.

Nemont

Bring good glass and use it. The opener is a zoo. Get your spot on Fourchette early. The Breaks are popular these days. Lots of elk tags. Then the late "Thanksgiving" push to kill a deer. It is the most incredible country in Montana. I'll always go back. mtmuley

Agree with you both. The boat would be just to get away from the hunters walking out of the campground. We saw alot of game and few hunters when we boated down to Brandon & Mickey Buttes and in between and hiked up. There was alot of terrain and cover that held some good deer that we passed up casing elk. Again, no 200"ers, but a coupe respectable racks. Now, we didn't see many hunters (in fact, I don't remember seeing any once we were on the tops) once we got in. But again, that was mid-September. You guys need to remember too that I'm a PA resident - so I'm pretty used to another hunter every 200-300 yards from me! Anything beyond that and the woods are "dead"! And yes, MTM, the plan is hike up for daybreak and glass. Walk and glass more. And I agree - the main reason that we aren't going further west to the Crazies or beyond (which I've been to a dozen times also) is that country. Something about that ground just sticks in my head. And I want to plant that in my boy's head too.
Thanks for the input!

A boat used to be an advantage. It is now an advantage many people use. Lots of country can be covered without one. Most of the hunters I talked to hunting deer were sitting on glass. mtmuley

Lots of guys using boats to access that country. Hopefully the APR will open up the former Blue Ridge (Carlson's) place and allow at least some additional access. There has to be some bucks on there that have grown up and matured into trophies.

Nemont

Their seemed to be a really good crop of 2.5 year old bucks this year (must have had a good fawn crop in 2018). So there should be some 3.5 year old bucks left after the annual November slaughter. Fun place to hunt, but not much for older deer; I just take my daughter's there, never shoot anything myself.

Planning for good weather on the opener is a crap shoot. This year would have been a doozy with your son. I think a hunter safety certificate is required for him to apply in 75 days. Hope you draw and have the first of many trips to Montana with him.

Lots of guys using boats to access that country. Hopefully the APR will open up the former Blue Ridge (Carlson's) place and allow at least some additional access. There has to be some bucks on there that have grown up and matured into trophies.

Nemont
That place was hunted hard...and poached equally as hard.

Nemont
It depends on your definition of a trophy ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom