Breech plug cleaning

3TOE

Very Active Member
Just curious to know if anyone has found either a great product or method for cleaning the breech plug on a muzzleloader? I have been hunting with muzzleloaders for 30 years now. The newer guns with the removable breech plug are a pain to clean IMO. I spend as much or more time cleaning the plug as I do the barrel & rest of the gun. I shoot Blackhorn 209 & use their solvent / cleaner. It obviously works, but there is a considerable amount of time spent removing ALL of the fouling from the powder. If you have any tips or tricks, please share. Thanks!

Probably not the best idea but who knows…..

I boil water in microwave and soak breech plug in the boiling water while I clean the barrel. The. I replace the water with Hoppers for another 4-5 min while I clean the bolt.

When I am done with the bolt I move to the breech plug and it cleans up pretty easy for me. No hardcore scrubbing…just a wipe off.

I then soak it again in boiling water from microwave for 3-4 minutes and blow it off with compressed air to remove any leftover water. That has always worked for me and Is not that hard.

Probably not the best idea but who knows…..

I boil water in microwave and soak breech plug in the boiling water while I clean the barrel. The. I replace the water with Hoppers for another 4-5 min while I clean the bolt.

When I am done with the bolt I move to the breech plug and it cleans up pretty easy for me. No hardcore scrubbing…just a wipe off.

I then soak it again in boiling water from microwave for 3-4 minutes and blow it off with compressed air to remove any leftover water. That has always worked for me and Is not that hard.
I’m willing to try anything. I have been soaking the breech plug in Blackhorn solvent for 15 minutes or so then going to work. I spend 30-45 minutes cleaning the plug alone. Thanks for the response.

I had been using the BH 209 solvent but have found KG-1 bore cleaner works much better for the barrel. I use Hopes for the breech plug because I have a bunch but a I am sure the KG-1 would also work fine.

I soak mine in a cup of real hot water with a little dish soap while I’m cleaning the rest of the gun. Seems to clean up pretty easy just running a q-tip through it.

I’m definitely going to try the hot water trick. Back in the day when I only shot Hawken rifles, I would fill the sink with hot water remove the nipple & swab the barrel out.
The new inlines are so much like a regular bolt gun now, I just clean it like I would a regular rifle.

I just wanted to circle back & thank you guys for the recommendation of using hot water. Last weekend after shooting I tried the hot water soak with some Hoppes while I cleaned the barrel & it worked great. I maybe only spent 10 minutes cleaning the breech plug vs 45 or so minutes. ??
FFF232C2-468E-4521-A11D-659AB68E90BE.jpeg

I chuck a shotgun bore brush in a drill.
It clears the internal crude out great with hot water and some simple green degreaser.

I chuck a shotgun bore brush in a drill.
It clears the internal crude out great with hot water and some simple green degreaser.
I was using a bore brush, nipple pick, q-tips, thread brush… you name it. I used the hot water along with some hoppes, wiped it off & reamed with a tiny drill bit then blew it off with the compressor & it was as clean as new.

Go by a welding supply or hardware store and get some tip cleaners (for torches). They come in a little tool set with lots of different sizes. Flash hole problem solved forever.

When I do clean my ml, I hit the breech plug with the wire wheel on the bench grinder and the flash hole with the tip cleaner. I doubt I spend an entire minute on it.

Go by a welding supply or hardware store and get some tip cleaners (for torches). They come in a little tool set with lots of different sizes. Flash hole problem solved forever.

When I do clean my ml, I hit the breech plug with the wire wheel on the bench grinder and the flash hole with the tip cleaner. I doubt I spend an entire minute on it.
I have used the torch tip cleaners too. But that was only after some serious crude needed to be cleaned out of the nipple and flash hole.

Breech plug for in lines and nipples for traditional I clean the same. Hot cup of water and a couple tablespoons of vinegar. Let them soak them scrub. Carry an extra in the field.

Breech plug for in lines and nipples for traditional I clean the same. Hot cup of water and a couple tablespoons of vinegar. Let them soak them scrub. Carry an extra in the field.
?? I always have a spare breech plug.

I do this to after i soak it in some CVA barrel blaster

right size drill bit glued with a small wood dowel to form a handle works great out in the field if you are having problems clearing the hole.

I put a bit of simple green and water in my ultrasonic cleaner and run it for 5 minutes, blow dry with my air compressor. Looks new after. I also put my muzzle break in with it and get the same results.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom