Breech plug

bucks

So I am a little confused,I bought a Remington 700 ultimate muzzleloader last year I have shot it quite a bit probably 75-100 rounds playing with Parker 300 grain match hunter with 100 grains By weight of BlackHorn 209,And Thor .502 with the same amount of powder.I am really not impressed with the groups Im getting with either of the rounds for how talked up this rifle is!I am going to try several more types of ammo to see if I can get better groups.So what I'm confused about is the breech plug up grade,I would think that a gun that cost as much as this costs that the manufacture would build the rifle to hold up.So does anyone have any information on this.

Bullet is only part of the issue with accuracy. You need to try different amounts of powder. I usually start at 90 gr, then 95, 100, 105, 110. I never go above 110 (all amounts are by VOLUME).

My elk loads with BH 209 are 90-95 gr of powder. When I get to 100 my accuracy goes down.

I would do that before considering changing breechplugs. Not sure why that is even on the radar at this point

It shouldn’t with only 80-100 shots. I would monkey with powder amounts and see if you get better accuracy before switching bullets

Not familiar with the potential breech plug issue with the Remington. I would experiment with different bullet weights. My Knight really likes the 300 grain bullets. Shoots touching at 50 yards, less than 1" groups at 100. Put a 250 grain bullet in it and groups go to 6" at 50. Needless to say, I shoot 300's. :)

90 of BH by weight and 300 grain Parkers out of Ultimate is as accurate as they come...

I agree with tx58 play with different weights...

ON the breech plug. I didn't have any issues, but read too much decided to change mine out. I really liked the brass/primer and how it worked on the factory Remington, and the new system I don't find nearly as easy to use and kinda a pain. If I were to do it again, I would just replace factory plug every 200 rounds or if I experienced any blow back/loss of speed etc.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom