Broadhead grouping

desperatehills

Very Active Member
How many of you have to move your sights when you switch to broadheads? I shot a drenalin for 8 years. I spent hours paper tuning it and when the season would come around I never had to move my pins. I purchased a Halon this year and the bow is shooting great. Last night I switched to broadheads. The expandable hits bullseye every shot out to 40 yards. My fixed blade heads shoot good consistent groups, but the impact point at 40 yards is 6" low and 3" left. In Oregon I have to hunt with fixed blades, I practiced with G5 Montecs and Shuttle Ts. I will be home for 3 days before I leave for my Arizona elk hunt where I will use Ulmer edge expandables.

My intention is to get up early Saturday morning and work on paper tuning to see if I could bring the two groups together. It would be easy to just move my sight to the fixed blades since they group well, then move it back for my Arizona hunt. I just feel I can get it better. I shoot a lot and I am comfortable moving things around. What would you do? Do your fixed blades impact differently but consistent?

it's probably out of tune.

take it to your bow shop before you mess with your sights.

a correctly tuned bow will shoot broadheads and field tips the same.

my bow was 4" left at 20 yards with broadheads. turns out it was about a quarter inch when they put the laser on it. Made a simple tuning adjustment, broadheads hit right where I want them to.

How much Helical do you have on your vanes? It could just be you need to add a helical to your fletching's. My buddy has never been able to get fixed blades to fly well, this year we built some arrows with a strong helical and his Ramcats are hitting with his field points out to 80 yards.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Things are better now. Paper tuning started with tail high right. I raised my rest a fraction and moved it left about a 1/16". The next five arrows were bullet holes or slightly tail right. Now my field points, expandables, and fixed blades all hit the three inch spot at 40 yards.

To answer your question Jake, I am shooting blazers with 3 degree right helical on Carbon express selects 340

Yes good to hear. I'm a fixed blade guys and slight movement of rest (Ultrarests work great with little hashmarks) should bring impact points together unless there is a bigger problem. Glad you found it can drive a bowhunter nuts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom