Broadheads

I'm not sure I am a fan of the gentle sweep of the blades on those heads. I'd personally go with a Slicktrick Standard 100 gr and consistently shoot through every elk!!

Ive seen some reviews of them, but at $20 per head I think I’ll stick with Slick Tricks or Tooth of the Arrow heads.

If you hate your money look at the iron wills… they are damn expensive, but they fly great, I think just about any solid 2/3 blade that’s sharp will work. All about preference, I like grizzly stick samurai too. I know mech’s can work, but for elk I’m partial to a cut on contact solid head

VPA Broadheads...No can defend. Machined out of a single block of steel. No moving parts. Can be easily resharpened, and often reused. I have one I have killed 3 deer with. If you have a properly tuned bow as well as arrows, they will fly absolutely perfectly to 100 yards. Have went in thru the middle of a rib, and out thru the humerus bone of an elk, with no issues at 74 yards.

Ive seen a bunch of kills with them. Full disclosure Dale is a buddy and I’ve hunted with him.

I shoot a recurve so I stick to a two blade but a lot of my buddies shoot those heads.

FWIW, i’ve shot Mech heads in the past….now I’m not a fan. If I was to shoot a mechanical broadhead it would be one of these hybrid designs like the evolution outdoors.

I can tell you they get better penetration than the average mechanical and they leave a devastating wound. that leading edge small fixed blade is a game changer.

It would be interesting to take a poll of the professional guides out there, specifically the elk guides, regarding broadhead performance & preference.
Guides are out there all season, every season. I'm sure they some very interesting stories to tell.
Which broadheads have resulted in the most kills for your clients?
Results count! BS walks!

It would be interesting to take a poll of the professional guides out there, specifically the elk guides, regarding broadhead performance & preference.
Guides are out there all season, every season. I'm sure they some very interesting stories to tell.
Which broadheads have resulted in the most kills for your clients?
Results count! BS walks!
Would be interesting to know. I know a lot of guys on here have killed a lot of elk, but I'm guessing most, like me, have tried 2-3 heads and stick with what they like.

Guides on the other hand get to see a wide range every year, as well as the latest and greatest.

Full disclosure. I've never shot an elk with a bow. My archery hunting has been limited to whitetails.

That would be good to hear from a guide, I think shot placement might trump just about anything but I think certain heads are a lot more forgiving on elk, mechs IMO have a greater potential for problems especially on elk, versus solid constructed 2 or 3 blades

I've only killed two elk with a bow. One with a two blade Rage mechanical at 30 yards broadside and the other with a Valkyrie blood eagle quartering away at 20 yards. The one I shot with the mechanical was a better shot but it ran 500 yards and halfway up a mountain before dying. The one I shot with the valkyrie fixed blade died within sight (40 yards or so). From my small sample experiment I feel more comfortable with fixed blades for elk moving forward. Both work but I think fixed blades are more forgiving. I love how mechanicals fly but would almost choose to shorten my effective range and use a fixed blade if it comes down to that. Thats just my preference.

I’ve guided and been hunting with a bow for almost 4 decades, killed hundreds of critters with a bow inc about 30 elk and seen another 40 plus elk and hundreds more critters die to someone elses arrow.

I can tell you exactly what works;

All of them.

Its true, they all work. Its a testament to the efficiency of a bow shot arrow.
Now the tapered fixed heads and the backward opening mech heads get better penetration than the inefficient short wide chisel and over the top mech head designs- thats a fact.

Everything works, but I think its best to match your bow/arrow to your BH.

Numero uno; Perfect arrow flight puts all of the arrows energy directly behind the point…any tiny wobble vectors some of this energy away. When your BHs fly exactly likeyour FP’s…you have perfect arrow flight.

Then from there its simple;
if you run a low energy or light arrow setup…those benefit from a more efficient head design.

if you run a heavier Bow/arrow setup…you can shoot any BH.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom