Brokeoffs Unit 30

G

GWill

Howdy...

Anyone ever hunted the Brokeoffs way down near the Texas border?

Also,in NM when passing through private land for a short time on a public road to get to public property (BLM) the private land must not hinder access (locking gates, etc.), correct?

I appreciate your time and efforts...

PM me or email me at [email protected] if needed...

Thanks...

I have hunted the Brokeoffs several times. Lately it seems that access to public land is being denied by land owners all over that area. I don't know the answer to your question about that, but why deal with it when there are plenty of other areas within Unit 30.

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] if you want more info.

There really is no one size fits all answer, because it depends on the specific right of way or easement on the specific property. My parents had BLM propert behind their private land and there was a gate off of their driveway, however, the eright of way granted to BLM specifically stated that access was only afforded to BLM workers on offical duties.

DC

As far as I know if there is no way to get to the public land without crossing private land you are sol. NM is becoming full of these greedy people. They make their living by selling people animals that come from state land that we as tax payers own. Don't get me started on these type of people. They need to give us a right of way to the public land and quit abusing the natural resources they do not own.

When I first hunted the Brokeoffs in 1984, I had tremendous access to public land. The last time I was there about 3 years ago, my access was literally half that because of what Stinkystomper said.

Stomper,
I completely understand the frustration with folks who do not give access when they are required to do so, but I think you would look at it differently if you had "the access" to primo hunting land and it was really never intended to be public access. In my parents' case (not in NM by the way), the "publuc land" was also the most popular high school bon fire spot for drinking parties. I can guarantee that my parents would not have restricted hunters who cleaned up their mess, but my parents' land became the dumping grounds on the way home from parties...

DC

I hunted the Brokeoffs a couple times in the late 70's with a guy that knew the area very well. We went in (from Alamogordo) on Highway 54 at Orogrande, then out across Crow Flats (I think). The place we hunted was one of the roughest areas I've ever hunted, but a really good spot. Almost all the deer we saw there were big bucks, and most of the bucks had really white antlers. We also hunted Wind Mountain once and saw some nice bucks. I knew a guy that killed a Barbary on Wind Mountain in the 80's, but we never saw any sign of the Barbarys in the Brokeoffs. If the road is a county road (and still maintained by the county) you should be able to use it. If a road has been open to the public for 10 years, I was told that the public has a "prescriptive" easement, but someone would probably have to fight that out in court if the landowner wanted to close it. The Forest Service seems to allow landowners to close Forest Service roads, but counties usually don't. I don't know of any roads that are "BLM" roads, I think most public roads on BLM are maintained by the counties.
-- Bob

I can see restricting local drinkers, but I can't see keeping out the honest hunters. Look at johnny mulcock in unit 34. He successfully baits the deer with feeders and restricts the access to the blm. He admits that most of the deer are killed on blm and yet people are currently paying $4500 per tag. I almost sent 4 of my employees up there 3 years ago as a bonus but canceled the hunt once I found out what he's doing. Thats plain theft if you ask me.

489b4133167c67f7.jpg

489b417918b97cbf.jpg

489b41a41a97d54d.jpg

all from unit 30...we killed few nice deer down there...I don't know where u guys hunts...there are alot of public land access and no gate locks that I have seen.

vinihunt

I hate to say it but I have been in Unit 30 two years and all I saw in the way of hunters is those crazy drunks hunting the roads. We ran into three or four different groups of hunters a couple of miles from the roads on four-wheelers drinking beer out of an ice chest. No more unit 30 for us.

Public land access makes people very irritable on this site. Problem is not many of the hunters on this site are not landowners so as everyone is they look at it from one side and not the other. There is a point when landowners break the law and a simple call to the sheriff fixes that problem. Landowners pay taxes too and just because the animals belong to the state does not mean that anybody can go hunt them because they are on public land. Unfortunately we as Americans do not have the right to hunt but we have the opportunity and privilege to hunt and many people abuse it and are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

Pick your battles wisely so you do not help out the other side in any way.

Vini! Is there a unit left in this state where you haven't nailed something to brag about? ;-)

vini, if those deer came out of unit 30 you better start playing the lotto..

hunted the brokeoffs 2 years ago and all i saw was about 6 does and 1 spike - in 4 days. rattlesnakes everywhere.

Appreciate the responses fellas...

We're in the second season this year the second week of November so I'll make a run over there the day before and check out the accessability.

Just looking to get away from the usual crowds as I'm sure most all of us are.

Any other feedback welcome as always...

The brokeoffs have produced some nice bucks over the last several years. If you are after a better than average unit 30 buck I would hunt within a 10-15 mile radius of Crow Flats. If you are content with filling the freezer and tagging a nice 6 or 8 point, there are areas of unit 30 that hold much higher populations of deer than the Crow Flats/Brokeoffs area. If you do a search on this forum for unit 30, you can see some bucks we took down in the central portion of 30 last year. Nothing spectular, but plenty of meat to fill the freezers.

I know you guys are just having fun,but knowing Vini personally, this MAN is driven to hunt.He shoots year round, his boys and wife do too and he is always out in the hills of this whole state.Between himself, his brother,dad and cousins, not to mention the friends he helps, he is one of the best hunters/outdoorsman that I personally know.He lends a helping hand almost always. Not sure how many of you know this about Vini, he is deaf.He hunts with such an awesome instinct, pays attention, and always.He has better senses than most men, I believe he thinks like an elk or deer, don't know for sure but what I do know is he tags more public land big game and spring turkey than just about all hunters I know.I know he doesn't need to be put up on a pedistal, he'd never ask nor want it, but I feel this man is such a great example and role model, he's a great dad and husband and his brother and Dad are very lucky to have him camp side and I'm pretty damned proud to call him my friend.

VINIHUNT, IN MY BOOK , BROTHER YOU ARE THE MAN!....Larry

ps I'l leave that gross 30 to you...

I just think it's cool that everytime some one asks about "how it is" in a particular unit, Vini posts up some photographic evidence! You da man, Vini!

me too mozey, I actually make back up plans knowing he will help me if needed. I'll be picking his brain in a few days on an area we both know but am just looking at learning some more of it.

nmhuntnutt!!

I'm glad we became great friends and hope to continue our friendship, hope someday we ll be goin antelope hunting together up in unit 52! with our smokepole!!!

now hope to meet rest of MM memebers! mozey, and others! I saw nmmuley on late season cow elk up in unit 51 last year that wasn't sure if that was him after I asked him after the hunt and sure enough it was him!

small world, my brother goes school with crazymaes and his buddies!

cooooool!!!

vinihunt

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom