Brown Bear

Wapitiwilly

Very Active Member
4-weeks out from leaving on my brown Bear Hunt. Hunting with Mike Litzen on the peninsula. Just wondering if anyone had some last minute advice.
Thanks
Paul

If you are living in hip boots bring an ankle brace. Getting around like that you weaken your ankles and good to have if you turn one. Listen to your guide and don't leave him for anything. My uncle left his guide to take a leak and got charged by an 8 ft bear and shot it which ruined his outfitters 10 ft average on the year. He would have shot a way bigger bear...good luck can't wait to see the pics...oh ya keep shooting till it's dead.

Thanks guys. Hunt will be awesome I am taking one of my sons on this 2-week adventure. Also a good friend got in at the last minute when someone canceled. Hope to have the opportunity to make a shot count!

deet....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Are they telling you to bring waders? hip boots? other?

Did a hunt all in waders. Miserable. This last hunt I took my regular mountain hunting boots and then packed wiggys slip on wader things that I just threw on when needed. Made my hunt wayyy more enjoyable. Then again I only needed them a few times a day. Besides that, some good rain gear that you can put on easily over pants/boots. I used Kuiu yukon jacket and pants and it worked out perfectly for me.

>Are they telling you to bring
>waders? hip boots? other?
>
>Did a hunt all in waders.
>Miserable. This last hunt I
>took my regular mountain hunting
>boots and then packed wiggys
>slip on wader things that
>I just threw on when
>needed. Made my hunt wayyy
>more enjoyable. Then again I
>only needed them a few
>times a day. Besides that,
>some good rain gear that
>you can put on easily
>over pants/boots. I used Kuiu
>yukon jacket and pants and
>it worked out perfectly for
>me.

Did you have cheap rubber waders? I'm a fly fisherman and can stay comfortable in my waders all day. Good breathable waders and wading boots that are as good as hunting boots.

A Fat slow guy in heavy boots.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Did you have cheap rubber waders?
>I'm a fly fisherman and
>can stay comfortable in my
>waders all day. Good breathable
>waders and wading boots that
>are as good as hunting
>boots.

I had Simms g4 pro stocking foot waders. then wore merrel hiking shoes over them. They were fine to walk in. But hiking up mountains and constantly being wet from the sweat was miserable. I'd rather take the chance and get a little wet from the outside vs knowing I'll for sure be wet from the inside.

I agree the G4 are pretty hot. They made them 5 layers. I tried them once and was sweating my ass off. I like the G3 better.

Of course we hike a lot more hunting than fly fishing, so full chest waders may not be the answer. Maybe G3 pants waders?

LAST EDITED ON May-18-18 AT 09:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-18-18 AT 09:06?PM (MST)

I liked neoprene upper hip boots with a 3/4 length rain coat. The 3/4 rain coat was a must have no matter what you wear for boots. Take some patience pills to use in bad weather. One my hunts I spent 7 days waiting on the fog to lift just to get to the camp. You will need a good scope cover and a manner of keeping water out of you barrel. I found having rubber gloves to go over wool gloves to be very beneficial. If you have the weight to spare, a bunch of news paper stuffed in your hip boots at night helps dry them for the next day. Remember the feeling you get when you put your warm dry hip boots on the first day. You won't likely get that feeling again for the rest of your hunt. You might want sun glasses for the glare off the snow.

PS Don't grab the devils club.

Thanks again for all the advice. Just returned from the peninsula with 2 of my sons. Hunt was unbelievable. We ended up shooting a nice bear on day 7.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom