Browning HC or semi custom

theox

Very Active Member
So I’m wanting to get a 6.5 prc not opposed to any other suggestions but don’t have a huge budget. Kinda looking for a wife/kid deer rifle. I know the prc is a bit heavier recoil then the CM but my wife shoots a 270 now and I believe its Comparable and if it had a muzzle break it would cut down on that furthermore

Can I realistically take a rem 700 I have rebarrel it and put a better trigger in it 800-1000$
(Suggestions on barrel and triggers welcome. )

or could I get the same results from a Browning hell’s canyon LR? for 1200$ And keep or sell the rem 700?

Provided you keep the stock on the 700 (and I sure wouldn't if its factory) a new barrel job with truing of the action, lug lapping, and re chambering will run you $7-800. A Trigger Tech trigger will be $150. So yes, you could do as you suggest and you'd probably have a great shooter! A quality match grade barrel from any leading manufacturer (Kreiger, Benchmark, Hart, Bartlein, Lilja, etc) will likely give you much better accuracy than most any factory barrel. Go one further and bed that new barreled action into quality stock and you'd REALLY have something!

So I vote for re-working the 700, unless you just want 2 guns out of the deal.

I've got a couple HC xbolts and a couple customized 700's, they all shoot very well. I do prefer the short bolt throw on the Browning rifles. Go with whichever fits your wife better

So I’m wanting to get a 6.5 prc not opposed to any other suggestions but don’t have a huge budget. Kinda looking for a wife/kid deer rifle. I know the prc is a bit heavier recoil then the CM but my wife shoots a 270 now and I believe its Comparable and if it had a muzzle break it would cut down on that furthermore

Can I realistically take a rem 700 I have rebarrel it and put a better trigger in it 800-1000$
(Suggestions on barrel and triggers welcome. )

or could I get the same results from a Browning hell’s canyon LR? for 1200$ And keep or sell the rem 700?
Browning hells canyon, I have 3 and the fit, finish, detail and accuracy are, every bit as, good as my Cooper m92 at half the price

You would need a Remington 700 with a mag bolt face, or you would have additional cost of opening the bolt face and adding an extractor. I would get a custom action vs working over a 700

I'd personally either get a custom 700 clone action or rework your current 700 action. I just built a new full custom gun on a Lone Peak Fusion Ti and the quality of custom actions is incredible.
20200416_164249.jpg
20200416_164249.jpg

I own a Browning HC and I'm a browning guy for years. I would not recommend to buy one in the 6.5 PRC. I think the twist rate is too fast 1:7. They should have kept it 1:8.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom