Brown's NV Bull

B

buck09

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-09 AT 09:45AM (MST)[p]Here is the bull I got on Friday the 13th in northern NV, with my father Doug(brownie). Hunting was very difficult and frustrating at times, seeing elk only 3 days out of 8 total hunted. Passed up a little 5-point the second day at a 100 yards and later regretted it, only to run into a group of 5 bulls last Friday with two monsters, two average, and one rag horn. Spotted them across the canyon at first light and watched them go down into the bottom of the canyon from the road. We later spotted them coming up the side of the canyon we were on so I cut them off where I thought they would be coming up this draw. Sure enough I set up and about a minute later a big 6-point came into the open about 150 yards away. All I could see was a big mature 6-point on one side and thought it was one of the two big ones. This was my first Elk hunt of any kind, so my field judgement on these creatures is not as sharp as if I was waiting for 5 mule deer to come into the open. The elk fever didn't help either, nevertheless, I decided to pull the trigger not wanting to waste the perfect shot. Not 2 seconds after this one crashed to the ground the 2 big boys walked out and just sat there and fed around, laughing at me. I believe the one I got had been the brunt of a lot of "bull"ying earlier in the year, as suggested by the broken tines. It was a great site. But I'm thankful for getting one at all. Enjoy!

-Bucky

4b212556710adae2.jpg

4b21257d71ff1f30.jpg

4b21259b727ee697.jpg

You have got to be proud of that bull! Way to go. What unit and how many points did you have? Congrats!

Thanks! I had area 6, north of Carlin. Had 7 bonus points. At that rate it will be another 17 years until I can hunt it again. Damn!! Oh well. I have been pretty lucky at drawing tags in Nevada. 7 different tags since 99'.

Thanks. And just to clear things up, I am very happy with him, I hope I didn't come across as being one of those big tough guy trophy bulls only kind of guys. Note, I am smiling in the pictures. haha.
It is a little frustrating at the time knowing what could have been, if I had just waited a bit longer. But that's hunting and I had a blast. It only haunted me in my sleep the following two nights knowing the "bigger" bulls were right there.
But the way I look at it, I had the shot, and the way things were going throughout the week, I may have waited it out to get a look at all the bulls, and had them spook or take off unannounced, and not gotten one at all.

Atta pepper B! Be proud of him.
I can't wait to go back to Blumpkin Canyon. There were some nice bulls up there for sure.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom