Buddies bobcat

hayden3006

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

My hunting partner Brandon and I killed this Bobcat while scouting for deer on a special tag I drew here in California. I had the Kern River hunt.We decided to bring the Foxpro along with us on the scouting trip to kill some time while scouting and see what we could call in if anything. We had glassed some good bucks and went up into the high country looking for some bucks that had not been pushed down yet. There was some snow on the ground about a foot. We knew there was not a lot of Coyotes in the area but thought there may be some Bobcats. While looking thru our binoculars and spotting scope Brandon glassed an area with a lot of rocks, trees, and bushes near and said he thought it would be a good area that may hold a bobcat. We had seen some quail near this area and it just looked like a spot for a Bobcat. We took about a fifteen minute hike and snuck into the area to call. We quietly argued over which call to use but ultimately went with my advice a distress bird call. ?It is high pitch and cats tend to like it.? We called for about thirty minutes and did not see anything I gave Brandon the motion to stand up and see if anything had snuck in and he told me to give it fiver more minutes. We varied the call volume and turned it off several times. As we were looking around thru our binos we spotted a Bobcat about 300 yards out standing next to a bush. We debated shooting it right there but ultimately decided it was a hard shot due to his position and thought we could get it to come in closer. He blended right in with the bush who knows how long it had been there. We then watched the Bobcat and noticed it was interested but then would become not interested. After about five more minutes and the Bobcat not moving we started using some different calls. We changed to another bird call and then ultimately mole squeaks. The Bobcat then started toward us and we would lose it periodically in trees and bushes. As it started towards us we were upset because we had left the shotgun in the truck and only had a 243 and 223. We could not see the cat for about five minutes and thought it may have left then out of nowhere it just appeared at about 125 yards with only its head exposed in a bush. We used some more Mole squeaks and both of us made squeaks with our mouths at the same time with the call going and the cat began to start in again. I guess the Bobcat thought it was in mole paradise. Brandon and I have a deal if an animal is coming in to not shoot and see how close it will come. The Bobcat came to about 20 yards when it sat down in some rocks and Brandon had a clear shot. One shot and the Bobcat was dropped. Brandon saved the Bobcat for a mount. We also did some Mountain Quail hunting on this trip and Brandon kept one for the mount. I will post the mount with bird when it gets back from the taxidermy.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-10 AT 07:46AM (MST)[p]hayden3006.. Cool Story and a sweet little kitty! I called in and took one way back in the day that looked exactly like it and in the same high country terrain and snow.
5353bob_3.jpg

Let us see the mount when it's done!! Thanks for sharing!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom