Bugle Magazine Article

Yea I just read it, its been going on here in Sublette county Wy for quite sometime, in fact If I remember right the last B and C typical buck to come out of this area was killed buy a guy on his own ranch, whats happening to big game hunting in the western US bothers me a lot

Only other thing is if you could afford alot of land here in Idaho and then get that access yes program payment. I could see the land going up at a huge rate due to what people will pay for big animals or actually not really that big animals.
Its a crazy industry.

Definately bad for the average hunter......good for the wealthy.

I know there are a lot of kids, guides, and outfitters on this site who'll argue with me. I am supprised how fast this is happening. Seems like just in the past 10 years. Just sad to see the ranchers/farmers dissapearing and "non-country folks" moving in.

That article was long overdue. It's been happening in my hometown in NW Colorado (Routt County) since the early eighties and my family's ranches fell victim.... It will be interesting to see what happens after this generation of wealthy 50 somethings that seems to be at the forefront of the "ranch" buying phenomenon starts passing on. Will their families keep the property or will we start seeing these lands come back on the market every 20 years getting smaller and smaller. I appreciate the management practices of some of the bigger operations (my Godfather is quoted a few times in the article), but I'm definitely concerned with the fact that quality hunting seems to be going the way of the wealthy. It (development and the gentrification of hunting) happened in Europe to the point that most, if not all hunting is done on private land/hunting preserves by the wealthy few that can afford it. Despite the managment and financial objectives of the largest of landowners in the U.S., this is happening and they are contributing to what hunting in the West is quickly becoming: a sport of the elite taken place behind the protective walls of barbed wire fence. Now, time will tell if we'll ever see Ted Turner go the way of Theodore Rooesevelt and set lands aside for the use of the nation. Will he go down in history as a businessman who leaves large working ranches, or will he set a precedent for other large land-owning familiies and leave a legacy as a true conservator of lands and sport by turning those ranches into national park type areas? I can only hope for the best.

-Cody

Either way, the average hunter is screwed, don't you agree? I believe that I will see the time when my children cannot enjoy the sport of hunting.

Without a doubt. Money, land development, and trophy scores are driving hunting into a tough position that the Europeans know only too well. But, I do not believe that I'll live to see the day where my family cannot enjoy hunting (I'm still pretty young and naive though).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom