Build or Buy Question

HikeHunt61

Very Active Member
Let's say you are looking at a Christensen Arms Summit TI- 280 Nosler or 7MM PRC. For around that cost, can you do a build with same accuracy and weight? Thoughts on which way you would go?

I'd price it out at jaoutdoors dot com then start looking for deals. Tikka action and pre fit barrel you can put it all together in your garage. Stocks can get expensive but I had one of his Mesa Altitudes and it's fine, 26oz.

The difference is if you use the right components you have a way higher probability of it shooting good. It's never cheaper to go the long way around. I only have custom hunting rifles, can't stomach the headaches of trying to do it cheaper. That said there are plenty of ways to go custom affordable.

Ballpark on using the "right components"? $5K? $8K? More?

Looking for a rifle that weighs <5.5 pounds, shoots 1/2 MOA with custom loads, in a 280AI/28N level cartridge. I love the feel of my Kimber's mauser style action, but it might be heavier than other actions, and not nearly as solid for accuracy?

WapitiBob mentioned jaoutdoors- I checked out the site. Honestly could not begin to make heads or tails on how to approach it. Anyone know of a good write up on going through the process of having a custom rifle built?

You should seriously reconsider a 28 Nosler that is less than 5.5 lbs. Recoil will be terrible regardless of what brake you put on it. Christiansen is riddled with QC problems and I would be looking into a custom build if you're actually taking this seriously.

If you want a custom light weight hunting rifle I'd call Dallas Lane or Travis Stevens and get your check book out. $5k builds a great rifle at a reasonable weight, cost goes up as weight goes down, but so does recoil.

Ya, that concerns me. I have a 280AI and it has plenty of recoil.

Thanks for the input on Christensen arms- I was unaware of issues they might have.

Where are Lane and Stevens out of?

We can build you what you want at Robinson Precision Rifles and have ways to keep the price more affordable. You can also pm me if you want to buy the components yourself and have a smith put them together. It's a fun process that I did for my 5 hunting rifles and Josh knows accuracy and how to get it.

We can build you what you want at Robinson Precision Rifles and have ways to keep the price more affordable. You can also pm me if you want to buy the components yourself and have a smith put them together. It's a fun process that I did for my 5 hunting rifles and Josh knows accuracy and how to get it.
Thanks 30- I may take you up on it. I live in Phoenix AZ so had some desire to do it locally if there was a great outfit here. But it's not crucial. I'll PM ya soon...

First off, this post isn't a dig at Robinson Precision Rifles in any way, I'm not familiar with them at all and you should contact them based on the previous recommendation above.

Do your research and pick the best shop possible for your build. Many people fall into the trap of wanting it done locally for some reason, maybe to save $$ on shipping I guess. Some of the lesser known builders are excellent and will be great to work with but the vast majority of gunsmiths/builders out there are hacks, straight up.

The only way to save money on a build are to use substandard parts and/or use substandard equipment and practices. There's simply no way around that fact.

Last edited:
Ya, not interested in doing it cheap, just right (obviously at a fair price). Part of why I wanted local was to go talk with them. Phone works, but it's nice to chat in person.

I imagine there are lots of hacks, so recommendations on quality gunsmiths is hugely appreciated!

I will plug in another name, Taylor Stratton - let a friend use his rifle in CO this year literally on a deer hunt - long story short he could not hit a buck with his own gun. Made a long shot and ended up buying that exact rifle from Taylor a few weeks ago.

SCR Stratton Custom Rifles Delta CO
970-417-5718

The difference in the quality gunsmiths is what do they do when the gun doesn't quite shoot up to par. First if they say that doesn't happen...run for the door and never look back. Happens to the best of them every once in a while and for the sub par ones happens all the time. I went with Robinson Precision Rifles after getting to know him for a couple of years doing smaller jobs for me and if he chooses the components and it doesn't work he will fix it, but he can do that because is rate of that happening is very low. With a previous well known company from Montana I had 2 bad Proof barrels on the same build that they didn't catch and I ate 2000 more than what the cost of the gun should be...Proof refunded me on both barrels but the gunsmith

still charged me full price to chamber, cut and thread the 2nd barrel. Oh and barrel defect was visible with naked eyend this was my 3rd rifle with them...needless to say I didn't go back. My point is you can get bad service from the big dogs too. In that arena you are only as good as your last builds. My last build with Josh and I have 3 more in the que.

20220930_084700.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

Last edited:
The difference in the quality gunsmiths is what do they do when the gun doesn't quite shoot up to par. First if they say that doesn't happen...run for the door and never look back. Happens to the best of them every once in a while and for the sub par ones happens all the time. I went with Robinson Precision Rifles after getting to know him for a couple of years doing smaller jobs for him and if he chooses the components and it doesn't work he will fix it, but he can do that because is rate of that happening is very low. With a previous well known company from Montana I had 2 bad Proof barrels on the same build that they didn't catch and I ate 2000 more than what the cost of the gun should be...Proof refunded me on both barrels but the gunsmith

still charged me full price to chamber, cut and thread the 2nd barrel. Oh and barrel defect was visible with naked eyend this was my 3rd rifle with them...needless to say I didn't go back. My point is you can get bad service from the big dogs too. In that arena you are only as good as your last builds. My last build with Josh and I have 3 more in the que.

View attachment 101346

View attachment 101347
Good advice, an issue is inevitable at some point for any business, how they handle it is what separates the best from the rest.

I’m going to be selling a Christensen Summit 28 Nosler along with 6 boxes of Hornady 162g ELS that this rifle is tuned to. Steve Monk/Affordable Long Range set it up for me. Shoots greatly! No issues. I have an issue with the scope on top and instead of re dialing in the 28 Nosler I’m going to move to a 7prc. Reach ou if you are interested.

I’m going to be selling a Christensen Summit 28 Nosler along with 6 boxes of Hornady 162g ELS that this rifle is tuned to. Steve Monk/Affordable Long Range set it up for me. Shoots greatly! No issues. I have an issue with the scope on top and instead of re dialing in the 28 Nosler I’m going to move to a 7prc. Reach ou if you are interested.
PM sent. Looking at build for now I think...

If you look in the classifieds I have a full custom lightweight rifle for sale built by Kevin Weaver. Top end components and only has 150 rounds through it. I paid $5000 new and selling it for $3300. It’s a .264 WM. Pushes a 142 grain bullet at 3180 fps. And weighs 5.5 lbs. That’s a steal of a deal, enough so that you could have a swap barrel made for it and still come out cheaper that a new custom build.

Since you're in AZ and thinking N 28, one of the top two 28 Nosler shops in the country is AxisWorks in Tempi, Ryan Pierce is the other and in Iowa.

I've shot a couple groups (2) with a hunting rifle from 5/8 to 3/4 at 300 with my 6.5 GAP but those are flukes and if you gave me a time and place to shows for a bet I'd never take it. I hate it when guys says their gun shoots like that all the time. That gun averaged just over 1/4 moa at 100 for all my 3 shot groups.

0.24 MOA at 300 yards... wow!!! can you do it twice, lol! ce61
I actually did it twice. Once was a 5/8" group and the other was a 3/4" group. Not sure I could do it a 3rd time though! I think I was able to find the sweet spot between my handloads and my rifle is all.

This is a five shot 300 yard group. I’d guess that it’s around 3/4”.

The second pic is a 500 yard three shot group. I’d guess it to be around 3/4” and these were done at two different days. (The copper colored shot are my buddys)

DC264924-B5D0-451B-A9E9-D73A751E0190.jpeg

7E080696-EF3D-42D9-BB81-CDE577E84628.jpeg

I'll wager BIG money that my CTC 1-shot groups are every bit as good as anyone's!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It goes without saying that as soon as bets are laid, most shooting goes to he!!.....in a hurry. LOL

Some guns will do wonders, some guys can make them sing.
Most can't and most can't.

Zeke

Buy start right now getting to know your new toy.
Before long the season will be here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom