Bullet help

deerkiller

Very Active Member
I have zero experience with Africa animals and need some advice.

I’m going to Africa in July 2021 on a 10 day hunt. Although I am a bowhunter, I’m leaving it home this trip and just taking my rifle. I’m planning on taking a .300 win. The animals I’ll be hunting with be in a range from impala to kudu. I image kudu are somewhat close to a bull elk as far as toughness goes, but im just assuming here. So my question is, what bullet is “best” for these animals. I’ve used the 200 gr hornady eldx on elk and they produce decent results. Is this going to be a sufficient bullets for these types of animals? Do I need heavier? or something completely different. Should I be taking my .338 instead?

it probably doesn’t matter than much and I’m thinking too much into this, but given this is my first and probably last trip to Africa, I want to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be.

thanks for any advice or suggestions!

I've never hunted Africa but based on what I've read and seen on "TV", you probably want a bullet construction that will pass thru easily. Would make tracking much easier. Monolithic would be my choice in 165 grain.

I’ve been on six safaris to five different countries and #7 is booked for 2021. Here are my thoughts...

Your 300 Winchester will be perfect for a plains game hunt, but then so would your 338. I’d take whichever you shoot better. As for Bullets, I highly recommend Barnes TTSX in 180 grains Or even 165 if they shoot better in your rifle. Shots are generally not long, most are 50-150 yards. Nosler Partitions or Accubond are also excellent. I’m not a fan of the bullet you mentioned but that’s personal preference.

People like to talk about how tough African game is. I disagree to a certain extent. Poorly shot game is indeed very tough, but properly shot game with quality Bullets dies just as quickly as it does anywhere else. You asked about kudu and caliber. between myself and son, we’ve shot a couple kudu, sable, couple zebras, topi, and other antelope with a 270 and 150 grain Nosler Partitions and all died quickly. Either rifle you mentioned will be fine.

GO, have an excellent trip. Any questions, feel free to ask.

I have been a couple times. If you leave your bow at home, you will be disappointed that you did. In 10 days you could very possibly fill all your species with a bow. The animals tend to regularly hit waterholes. The numbers are so high, you shouldn't have a problem. I pulled out my 7mm, and in one day could have shot 4 animals maybe more.

I take a 300 win mag and would say use barnes 180ttsx if it work well out of your gun, Have taken a lot of plains gam with barnes vortex in 180 grain from my 300. I also take my 257 weatherby and have taken zebra and kudu with that gun and 100 grain ttsx. Only other bullet I would use and have used in Africa in swift a frames.

african animals are no tougher then ours and I would say it is al talk and normally a bad shot that makes guys think that. All there vitals are forward in there body compared to are animals so on the shoulder is were I aim and ttsx have always give me an exit whole.

I would tell you to take your bow as Africa is great bow hunting even if you only take one or two animals it will be worth it. I always take both and will do so again hoping on my 7th trip in july

Last edited:
Agree with above posts. Don't think african animals are any tougher than n. American game. Shot placement is key every place in the world. I have great success using swift a-frames on plains game.

My 2 cents, don't over think this. Any good quality bullet in the right place and you will have a successful harvest. Take a bullet that shoots well out of your gun! I personally shoot the 178 ELDX out of a 308 and it has worked great for me from Impala to Kudu and Zebra but i'm at 2500 FPS at the muzzle (20 in Barrel) . If your 2900 FPS plus i would stay away from the ELDX as they have a tendency to come apart at higher velocity impacts. TTSX is a great bullet just remember going to all copper bullet will take some extra work in keeping the barrel clean. Again just my 2 cents.

We loaded nosler partitions for my friends hunt. He had 0 problems, infact as been said, he wished he had his bow.

Barnes TTSX all the way. I've been on one African hunt (RSA), shot 5 animals. Warthog, Impala and Blesbok all shot with a Barnes TTSX 120 grain out of a 7-08, all one shot kills, two were complete pass throughs (80, 136 and 156 yard shots). My Kudu and Gemsbok (and I realize these are bigger animals) were shot with 156 grain Hammerheads with Sako factory ammo in a 270 Winchester. Both animals dropped at the shot (75 and 50 yards) and both animals needed a close up finisher. Both Hammerheads had core jacket separation, both were shoulder shots.

Use a premium bullet IMHO. Good luck.

Planning my 12th trip this year, if we can make it over due to the virus. I've taken almost all common species, and either rifle you mention will be fine.
I personally will be taking a .300 Win Mag with 180 grain TSX bullets. I wouldn't be worried about the 200 grain ELDX. Use it if you have the confidence.
There is nothing wrong with your .338, but it certainly isn't necessary for plains game. My wife will be taking a 30.06 with 165 grain TTSX bullets, and she has Kudu, Oryx, and other medium-large plains game on her agenda. She has taken all these animals with her 30.06 before with no issues. Use a high quality bullet, and either gun will be fine.
I wouldn't generally advise taking a bow for your first trip. You will see more, and hunt from other than blinds with a rifle. I have bow hunted Africa, and enjoyed it, but I usually take a rifle, and only bow hunt on specialized trips.
You are, indeed, over thinking this, but that is half the fun. Enjoy the planning. A first safari is extra special.
Bill

nope don't leave the bow behind take it pack cloth in the bow case and it would be your second bag. To much to hunt to not take a bow so many chances to spot/stalk not all out of a blind

Check out the Hammer Bullets website. There is a writeup there of an African hunt that covers several cartridges on a variety of game. mtmuley

I took a 300 win mag with 200 grain eld x bullets on both my trips and shot lights put with that combo. Everything 1 shot kills. I was extremely nervous at first and after shooting a couple animals you will calm down and realize if your shot placement is good you will have no worries. As said in one of the other posts I did notice bullet separation on a kudu and Nyala. But both hit the ground as soon as the bullet hit them. Both shoulder shots at 200 yards. Bullet penetrated and destroyed the offside shoulder. Guide didnt like the bullets because they destroyed a ton of meat but I killed alot of animals and was very impressed with how they did. I would not hesitate to shoot them there at all. Ive killed 2 kudu, warthog, caracal, 3 springbok, nyala, 2 bushbuck, letchwe, sable, 2 impala, and baboons all with the eld x. All 1 shot kills. I aimed for the shoulder everytime. Things I did notice.

Most shots were 200 yards but i shot a white springbok at 50 and it ripped the skin on the offside. Not sure why but it did a huge number it. All other ones seemed fine.

I saved 2 bullets I found in the kudu and Nyala and both had separation. I found the core and the jacket in completely different areas of each animal.

Darrack10 notes two things worthy of comment. First, that the eld Bullets ruined a ton of meat. Most safari companies in South Africa, but also in quite a few other places too, sell the meat from safaris. None of them seem to like bullets that ruin a lot of meat. The other is that the bullets he recovered both had core/jacket separation. Every PH I’ve been around would consider that as bullet failure, dead animal notwithstanding.

These two reasons he noted are why so many PH’s think Barnes TSX are such a great bullet. Very little blood shot meat and they hold together no matter what. Before my son’s recent buffalo hunt in Tanzania, I was talking with our PH,Mike Fell. Mike, who many regard as one of Africa’s finest PH’s of any country, told me that, in his opinion, there is no better bullet for Cape Buffalo than a Barnes TSX due to excellent penetration, they hold together and kill very well. If they’re good enough for Mike and buffalo, they’re certainly a top choice for any African game except elephant or rhino. We recovered 2 TSX Bullets from one of the buffalo my son shot; complete penetration through chest with broken off-side shoulder, bullet laying under the skin and a perfectly opened 4-petal fully intact bullet in each case.

We’ve shot African game with Nosler Partitions, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and SledgeHammer solids, Hornady soft and solids (back before most of these premium Bullets were developed), Woodleigh soft, and Barnes TTSX and TSX. They’ve all performed well and killed a large pile of game, but I’ve never seen any perform better than the Barnes TTSX and TSX. In the calibers it is offered in, the TTSX is the preferred choice, IMO. The bigger bores from 375 on up aren’t available in the tipped version but for everything smaller, I believe that is the way to go.

Only reason guys still shoot anything nolser makes is because they have not tried a barnes ttsx or A frame. The one bullet I have had any Ph I talked with or hunted with say they are all ok with is a barnes TTSX, It is just that good of a bullet.

Some PH's like the copper bullets but other certainly do not. Maybe they like them better on the shooting farms in SA, but I have been other places in other countries where they were not favored.
Kudu are not tough animals. I have shot them with cartridges smaller ranging from 280's to 375's and did not see any difference.

Been on a few trips. 300 win is perfect IMO. I have used ELDX on my last trip. Did they work yes; am I ever going to use them on any game, again? No going right back to Barnes. have had great results with partitions, went to the ELDX as anticipating a Marco Polo hunt but performance on African, Grizzly and Elk changed my mind.

Now before anyone jumps on the "ya just need to shoot better" all shots were shoulder, lung and a couple of follow up Texas heart shots within 100-150 yards.

Any Ph I have asked if I hunted with them or not have been ok with barnes ttsx or swift A frames. The barnes if it works out of your gun is just hard to beat and has proven it self over and over with less bullet failures. To me it is the best overall bullet for your 100 to 400 yd shots we normally take.

I went to Africa in 2018 and only took my bow. Glad I did actually, my buddy opted to take a 300. There wasn’t many animals there that wouldn’t be a to harvest with my bow except the buffalo since they never gave me a good shot. I shot Easton FMJ w/ muzzy 125 grain broad heads. Shot impala, eland, and gemsbok I wasn’t able to get my kudu but a different hunter in the camp got one with the same setup I was using.

If I had to take a rifle for plains game then a .308 with Barnes ttsx bullet should be fine. For other bigger animals like eland, kudu, and waterbuck then I’d opted to take my 375 h & h shooting nosler partitions.

I wouldn’t be discouraged with taking your bow and a rent a rifle from the PH they usually have extras. Just a thought. Good luck on your hunt. Get some bultong, & drink a bunch of carling. Let me know if you have any questions about shipping the trophies back, it’s taken almost 1.5 years to get mine back.

Last edited:
I hope if you waited 1.5 years to get trophies back they were all mounts because if you waited that long for dip/pack you should not be helping anyone. 1 to 1.5 is pretty standard for mounted work though Africa does not work at our pace and there is way more in paperwork to get done then here.

Hope you get back to get that kudu some day.

I was actually talking about the mounts being completely done not the dip/pack hahaha. My mounts were done here in the states, I did a dip/pack from Africa.

What I was referring to was that it’s not a quick process by any means as you alluded to, they work at their pace. My original thoughts was the PH would handle that stuff and I would pay it all while I was there which was not the case. The trophies actually swapped hands several times before they got to my taxidermist. Outfit to African shipping company then to exporter before it got here to the states for another shipping company to pick up and they all get a cut is what I meant. It took 5-6 months for my trophies to get to the west coast which was fair.

BillC id like to get that kudu I just don’t know when I’ll make it back there and now I also want a sable.

the trophy handing is a very big over looked part by most hunters. Not as hard as some make it just need to have the plan in place before the hunt even starts.

Nice adding a sable with a kudu will make a fun hunt for sure and there prices have crashed and way cheaper. Add a blue wildebeest and you will have all kinds of fun. Crazy how you go there think one trip will be good but start planning next trip before the first is over.

You are correct, I know I didn’t have the slightest clue about the process there.

I need to look into it more, I was ready to go as soon as I got back last time.

I have zero experience with Africa animals and need some advice.

I’m going to Africa in July 2021 on a 10 day hunt. Although I am a bowhunter, I’m leaving it home this trip and just taking my rifle. I’m planning on taking a .300 win. The animals I’ll be hunting with be in a range from impala to kudu. I image kudu are somewhat close to a bull elk as far as toughness goes, but im just assuming here. So my question is, what bullet is “best” for these animals. I’ve used the 200 gr hornady eldx on elk and they produce decent results. Is this going to be a sufficient bullets for these types of animals? Do I need heavier? or something completely different. Should I be taking my .338 instead?

it probably doesn’t matter than much and I’m thinking too much into this, but given this is my first and probably last trip to Africa, I want to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be.

thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Your bullet choice in a 300 win is great. Better to have a combo you shoot accurately more than anything.

the trophy handing is a very big over looked part by most hunters. Not as hard as some make it just need to have the plan in place before the hunt even starts.

Nice adding a sable with a kudu will make a fun hunt for sure and there prices have crashed and way cheaper. Add a blue wildebeest and you will have all kinds of fun. Crazy how you go there think one trip will be good but start planning next trip before the first is over.

When it comes to Africa; once is never enough (actually insert whatever number you like here :))

You are not kidding there my once in a lifetime keeps happening over and over. So much to hunt there and see it is amazing.

Its the best kind of groundhog 10 days there is!!!!! Like you, each time I go I see and learn so much! And it always provides me with a new excuse for a gun or something along those lines.

My wife asks me how many once in a lifetime trips are you gonna take there? I tell her I'm like a cat; 9 lives!

She just asked if I can stop at nine; probably not...:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom