Bullet Seating / Short Magazine

NiceRack

I have encountered a problem with a rifle magazine that is too short for the hand loads that I am working up. When the bullets are seated to .020 from the lands they are way too long for the magazine. Does anyone have any advice on modifying the rifle to accommodate the rounds or am I going to be limited to loading a single round into the chamber for every shot which will not be practical for a hunting rifle.
PB

This is a real common problem and one which isn't easy to overcome. About the only way to rectify this is to install a longer magazine box (which are only available for select brand rifles).

Some guns will shoot surprisingly well with copious amounts of bullet-jump so seat to the max of the magazine and go from there.

Zeke

#livelikezac

If your rifle is a m700 Wyatt's makes longer magazine boxes. The aren't to hard to install and also come in a center feed design improving the feeding of some rifles.
Have you tried loading to magazine length and seeing how the rifle shoots?

I will load to the magazine capacity with about .030 play and try a few loads to see how they work. Also the bullets are very long "Nosler Accubonds and Barnes TTSXBT". I am going to see how Nosler Partitions fit also. My rifle is a Remington 700AWR in .338RUM.
I will check out the aftermarket replacement long box too. Thanks for the advice to all.
PB

I think you will be fine with your standard magazine .
I built a custom rifle in 7mm Rem mag and installed a longer magazine box but after working up my load the gun shoots Berger Bullets with .040 jump the best. So the extended magazine box wasn?t needed after all on this gun.
I wish I would have just stayed with the standard magazine as I had to pay my gunsmith an extra 200 bucks to custom fit the extended box in the receiver and also the stock.

Paul
All RUM cartridges are setup with a pretty good freebore length from the factory. I would definitely try some loads at magazine length or very close to that. Whatever you can get to feed reliably. 225gr or 250gr? Either way load it up with a stout load of H1000, IMR7828 or Retumbo and you will be just fine.

I've loaded lots of RUMs in 7mm,.300 and .338. Never had a problem getting any of them to shoot when loading to mag length. The 225 Accubond is a flat shooting nasty elk killer in the .338. mtmuley

Just loaded up 3 recipes of 225gr accubonds and 1 of 225gr barnes TTSXBT and 3 recipes of 200gr accubonds all to .040 short of magazine capacity. I chambered all to make sure they would feed properly. Now to go to the range and give my shoulder a work out.
PB

The jump on all the .338 RUM 225gr Accubonds is .200. The jump on the .338 225gr Barnes is .195 to fit the stock magazine. Seems like a lot but definitely less than factory ammo.
I contacted Wyatt's about the larger magazine box and he told me his plate was full and was not taking on any more installs of the CFE-9 conversion.
After I try these hand loads I will reevaluate the need for the larger magazine conversion. I have a great gunsmith here in Boise that says he can do the modification.

I also just loaded up 3 recipes each for my .375 H&H, One with 260gr Accubonds and the other with 270gr Speer BTSP.
Love the big bores........
PB

Just had a great conversation yesterday with one of the gunsmiths at Independence Indoor range in Meridian. He provided the best alternative to the short magazine problem that I hadn't thought about. His suggestion remove the barrel and shorten, ream the throat and check head space and adjust to the exact round that shoots best to .015-.020 jump. No machining the receiver, bolt release and floor plate. Sounds like a much better solution.
PB

77927o2ad8uxmtoamczk7mgzhg.jpg

Nice 100 yard group for the .338 RUM with handholds.
PB

Paul
Looks like you are good to go. I'd load some more to verify and stretch it out a little to see how it groups.

Nice work. I like that you have a binder like that with records. To me it shows professionalism. I see a lot of people that talk a good a good game that don't have anything to show.

Thanks for the compliment.I learned a long time ago to keep copious notes and records when reloading otherwise my small brain will never remember what I loaded. I have gone through 7 different loads for the .338RUM and 5 different loads for the .375 H&H. I Still haven't found a satisfactory 225 grain Barnes or Accubond load for the .338RUM. I just loaded up 4 more recipes to try next week. I really was impressed with the 200 grain Accubond groups but the light weight just doesn't maintain the energy down range like the 225 grain. At 1000 yards the 225 grain has 1461 lbs of energy where the 200 grain at the same distance is only 940 lbs.
My goal with this rifle is to attempt to keep that magic number (1500 lbs energy) to kill Elk out to 1000 yards. I'm not saying I will ever shoot at an Elk at that distance but I still want the rifle to perform even if I can't. I have shot Elk at 520(AZ) and 454(ID) yards, both were cross canyon shots. The average distance for me on Elk over the years has been around 280-300 yards. For most of my hunting life I held the opinion "long range shooting is not hunting". That has changed over the years. I have found I am hunting in some of the most inaccessible areas for Elk due to hunting pressure. In the old days open stalking was normal. Now it seems like "cross canyon" shooting has been the norm. The Elk up here in Idaho have evolved so that now any sight, smell or sound of a human or wolf within 1/2 mile send them running. I still love the stalk and nothing is more rewarding than spotting a bull a mile away and getting close enough for that 100 yard shot.
PB

Is the "flyer" because of the short-seated bullets (inconsistent gas escape and excess bullet jump) or are you just discounting the shot because its not in the group? It's GOT to be counted in the group whether its because of you, gun, load etc, if anything resembling LR figures into your future.

There's always a reason for a flyer! I once had a great shooting rifle if 4 of the 5 shots could be counted as flyers! Yikes!

Zeke

#livelikezac

Reason for the flyer.....
The guy in the stall next to me ( with only a thin divider, inches between us) at the indoor range was rapid firing an AR-15. There was a pause and I thought he was done. He wasn't and fired again just as I did causing me to flinch.
So no I won't count the flyer, but thanks for your critique.
PB

....apparently that happened twice....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

In my opinion you need to shoot a minimum of a five shot group.
Another good method is to put five targets on your board and shoot each one of them separately and then combine the five into a group.This is a realistic way to see how you and your gun are shooting.
Clean your barrel and then shoot a couple of foul shots before testing for groups.
Most rifles shoot better and more consistently when the barrel is fouled a bit. Also if the barrel is getting hot let it cool down some between shots.

>In my opinion you need to
>shoot a minimum of a
>five shot group.
>Another good method is to put
>five targets on your board
>and shoot each one of
>them separately and then combine
>the five into a group.This
>is a realistic way to
>see how you and your
>gun are shooting.
> Clean your barrel and then
>shoot a couple of foul
>shots before testing for groups.
>
>Most rifles shoot better and more
>consistently when the barrel is
>fouled a bit. Also if
>the barrel is getting hot
>let it cool down some
>between shots.
Thats a great idea. I will do that. I just loaded up 30 more rounds.
Thanks
PB

Why do you say that? Are you referring to the hole at the top of the target?
That's the hole for the display rack, the targets came 10 to a pack.
Thought that would be very obvious.
PB

I'm trying to see your point! Is there one? Or are you just commenting?
PB

you have two separate targets there and in both cases you discounted the "flyer" and measured the rest of the group....you excused one flyer as the neighbors fault....

I think Zeke's point is valid....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom