bullets

B

bullet_man1

i got some wincester silver tip 150 gr bullets .need thoughts on useing these on cow elk and your reloading data.i think hey would be all right for deer .i know it all go back to bullet placement.almost forgot gun will be a 300 win mag ruger ssl topped with a 5 star redfield.

i dunno i would use a 180 for elk but if you feel confident and are accurate with them then those bullets put through the lungs will definately get the job done.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-03 AT 11:10AM (MST)[p]That should be fine. I use the same bullet (150 gr.) for elk in southwest new mexico, and killed two cows and 1 bull, and all three dropped instantly, the only difference in me and you is that i am shooting a .270 win and you are shooting a 300 win mag, so you should have no troubles with correct bullet placement. I have confidence that this is enough bullet weight.

The 150gr part is fine for cow elk (although heavier would still be better), the problem is with the Silvertip bullet. I am assuming this is the balistic silvertip with the plastic point. They are not the best choice for elk as they are meant to expand rapidly on deer sized game and smaller. Hit an elk in the shoulder and you may be sorry with those bullets. You will probably be OK if you ONLY limit yourself to totally broadside or quartering away shots. Avoid major bones. Is this a limitation you are willing to accept? To me, it is worth it to spend $20-25 for a box of different ammo that is a bit tougher and will penetrate without such limitations.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-03 AT 09:45PM (MST)[p]No! Ballistic tips and silver tips are SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for deer sized game. Even worse of a choice the faster they are pushed (i.e. Magnums) Hit bone on a close shot and your elk is gone to die a slow death! Go with partitions, trophy bonded bear claws, A-frames, barnes x, failsafes, accubond, interbond, even scirocos. Don't use ballistic silver tips on elk, especially in 150 grn. A boiler room hit with no bone will be quick and probably dramatic but you hit shoulder and the coyoted will be thanking you.

dont just assume that there the ballistic silvertip.thats not what he said. read his post.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom