Bullets

theox

Very Active Member
So I know this has been beaten to death but I'll resurrect it out of boredom and curiosity

Opinions on the best bullet.
For deer
For elk
Or one that is great for
Both.
Long range etc

The reason I ask is in trying to find a good 7mm rem load for deer and elk.
I have a box of 150gr ttsx
Which has killed an elk at 450 yards (several shots wife hit low and blew front leg almost off but once the shot was
Placed good it dumped ) . and a deer at 200 I shot and dropped in its tracks and gooified the lungs from
My old 7wsm

I've heard a lot of good and bad about Barnes. Often the bad is at longer ranges where the bullet doesn't expand as much.

I've been curious about Berger hunting vld but they scare me because the don't penetrate as deep before blowing up

What I'm thinking is developing a Berger load for deer and a Barnes load for elk.

Or do I scratch that and go in between with a nosler partition for both deer and elk?

Or stick with Barnes for elk and get a plain Jane Sierra for deer?
Or just find the best shooting bullet and use for elk and deer?

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on Berger bullets on elk.

Suggestions welcomed and also curious to hear stories on all the experience s u have had.

I know I don't need a premium bullet. But I hate the reg corelokt and hornady interlocks I have had poor experiences with them.

Custom/Modified 375 RUM Loads!

85030damage1.jpg

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-16 AT 09:18PM (MST)[p]I can't believe you had poor results with the Hornady Interlock as I and most others that reload them swear by them. IMHO they are great for animals up though big deer and then I go to their Interbond for elk sized game.

At the risk of being redundant, it all boils down to what YOU want - do you want a bullet that fragments or stays together, do you want different bullets for different animals, etc.

I personally shoot Berger, and have done for seven years. I am sure there are other wonderful bullets out there, but Bergers have never failed me and I am confident in my setup. Also, I shoot the same load for deer, elk, antelope, bear, prairie dogs, etc. I like to keep things simple and consistent!

>
>Custom/Modified 375 RUM Loads!
>
>
85030damage1.jpg

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA
>SEE
>THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
>[/font]
>
>

Holy Moley elk - I didn't know you could legally shoot a RPG at an elk! :)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-16 AT 06:01AM (MST)[p] I'll Agree with hammertime!

ox!

Don't Screw around with Several Different Cartridges/Loads for different Animals!

All You're gonna do is get them Mixed up & wonder what's what!

In that 7 MAG try the Winchester 150 POWERPOINTS!

Not a Bad Bullet that'll take down about anything you're gonna Hunt!

Yes they are known do do alot of Damage!

We are Trying To Kill them,Not Wound them!

Another Good one would be a SILVER TIP Ballistic Tip!

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

If you have found that your 7mm's like Barnes (like mine all do) don't overlook the new 145gr LRX. They work well close or at extended range for both deer and elk.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-16 AT 07:26AM (MST)[p]>
>Custom/Modified 375 RUM Loads!
>
>
85030damage1.jpg

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA
>SEE
>THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
>[/font]
>
>

Lmao good ok elkass!
What bullet were u shooting?
Nice WHEELER by the way!

In my 7mm Rem Mag (Rem 700 ADL) I have had excellent results with the Nosler 160 gr Partition. Have also use the Nosler 160 gr Accubond. Both bullets will take elk-sized game out to as far as I will take a shot. Have not lost an elk or mulie with them.

The 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip has a heavier jacket than the 140 and has an excellent reputation on elk and deer. I slammed one straight into the shoulder bone of a buck at about 3300 fps impact velocity from a 7mm RUM. Pulverized the shoulder bone and still produced an exit through the off side shoulder. Have killed several deer with that bullet with excellent results. It or the 160 gr Accubond would be excellent choices.

NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

160 grain accubonds in my 7mm rem mag have been textbook perfect for me. I've only shot one bull elk with it, but it simply fell over like all the deer I've shot with it. I've only hunted with this gun the last 4 years and have always heard the bullet hit with a resounding thump, something I never heard with my 30-06. Perhaps this is normal for most people but something I'd never really heard when using other calibers. The hand loads get me about .75 moa.

I'm a believer in the accubonds. Gonna give the hornandy ELD-X a try just to try knowing I can go back to accubonds for a reliable bullet.

Have used the accubonds for many years with good success. I finally was able to locate some 178 grain ELD-X for my .300 Winchester Magnum. The accuracy was incredible. I shot two 3 shot groups. The groups could be covered with a dime. That being said, I have never killed anything with them. My load is 72 grains of H4831SC with Nosler brass and WLRM primers. I am seating these bullets at about 15 thousands otl.

just sayin...mh

I'll echo those who have said accubonds.

My wife and I have taken 4 animals in the last 3 years using 180 gr out of a 300 wsm with no more than 30 yards total of tracking.

1- Deer: 360 yards, 1 shot, never took one step. (Wife)

2- Elk: 217 yards, 3 shots, went 2 yards with death wobble. (Me)

3- Elk: 10-15 yards, 1 shot, went 10 yards. (Me)

4- Elk: 475 yards, 2 shots, went about 15 yards into trees and died. (Wife)

All shots were well placed, except my wife's elk. First shot was a little far back and the second was up the tail pipe.

In each occurrence I feel like not much meat was lost due to the bullet.

Enough to make me a believer. Also doesn't hurt that my rifle shoots clover leaves with the factory stuff.

I've been using Berger bullets out of my 7mm WSM since 2009. Never had an issue and I highly recommend them. They've help take everything from a 100 pound wild hog in Georgia to a 5x5 elk in Wyoming.

What about the superformance SST and trophy bonded Hornady E-tip has anyone used these on elk and if so what was the performance like

Good knock down power or did they break up on a shoulder shot at short range as I have had that happen with a Cor-Lok

I want to use either of these in my .338 Win Mag as the superformance gives you about another 80 to 90 feet per second with a little less drop at 300 yards

anyone had experience with either of these bullets

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom