Bulls are rutting

Here in NM same story they’re starting . Last weekend we heard em screaming in mid day even! Good luck guys!

That's awesome there getn more active, saw some good pre-rut around this time last year where I hunt in Idaho. But then it slowed down and full rut hit around 3rd week of Sept. Wish everyone luck this year!

After spending the last 3 days helping a friend on the Wasatch, I will report there was no rutting activity in our area. Hot and dry. Lots of elk and some bugling but no real rutting activity. Let’s hope for some cooler weather before the archery hunt ends on 9/11.

I’m not falling for it this year. Every year I get all wound up and get out into this stupid heat. Going deer hunting next weekend and I’ll be going hard for elk come the 16th

I was on the Wasatch this last weekend. It was very quiet. Little to no action going on. My friend that i am helping is a little frustrated. I told him he has a few strikes against him this year. The early hunt dates and the 2+ months of HOT AND DRY weather and all the Covid cases out there and deaths. I think most of the cows and calves have died from the covid. Anyways, Good luck!

I was on the Wasatch this last weekend. It was very quiet. Little to no action going on. My friend that i am helping is a little frustrated. I told him he has a few strikes against him this year. The early hunt dates and the 2+ months of HOT AND DRY weather and all the Covid cases out there and deaths. I think most of the cows and calves have died from the covid. Anyways, Good luck!
That's good news for us muzzy guys!?

I haven't heard a thing on my Utah archery bull hunt. In fact, just yesterday I saw 8 bulls grouped together. Seems to be no interest in the rut at all, which sucks for me.

Finally had a few smaller bulls coming in on cow calls. Only one rag horn that bugled. Nothing crazy. Not sure why Utah has to stick it to archery hunters and totally hand LE rifle hunters the middle of the rut. Maybe it's just a money thing! I'm sure we will get a least one day of some rut activity.

If it was a money thing, you would think they would only let archery hunters hunt the rut, and give out more early archery tags, and more late rifle and muzzeloader tags? Idk for sure, but Utah has it completely backwards. Mostly every other state in the west gives archery hunters better dates, and gives a handful of early rifle and muzzleloader tags.

Finally had a few smaller bulls coming in on cow calls. Only one rag horn that bugled. Nothing crazy. Not sure why Utah has to stick it to archery hunters and totally hand LE rifle hunters the middle of the rut. Maybe it's just a money thing! I'm sure we will get a least one day of some rut activity.

It is money. The con groups can sale a Rifle Rut hunt to some old dude thats rich for a lot more money than they can a mid Nov or Dec hunt. 2 years ago SFW pres said in a meeting he wants it to change to what other states are doing. That was at the Expo while being interviewed on the radio. Was that all just talk to make people think he was going to do something good? Or was he serious? Nothing has happened yet.

But we all know Grandpa Bob and all his kids will be pissed because Grandpa waited 24 years for that rifle rut hunt and now wont have it if it is switched. OH WELL!

If it was a money thing, you would think they would only let archery hunters hunt the rut, and give out more early archery tags, and more late rifle and muzzeloader tags? Idk for sure, but Utah has it completely backwards. Mostly every other state in the west gives archery hunters better dates, and gives a handful of early rifle and muzzleloader tags.
And yet Utah's elk hunting is second to only Arizona as far as quality is concerned.

And yet Utah's elk hunting is second to only Arizona as far as quality is concerned.
For sure, Utah definitely manages for quality over quantity. I don't think quality would dip very much, however, if they let archery hunters have a few extra days in September.

If you like the rifle dates better, switch to rifle... just sayin

There is next to zero rutting activity right now on the Nebo unit. I finally heard a bugle Sunday morning that I’m pretty sure didn’t come from a human. The bigger bulls seem to be traveling now for cows, but they aren’t talking at all.

Contrary to popular belief elk do not have a calendar and don’t know there supposed to be screaming there heads off because archery opened

I get it. I’ve killed a bull on September 5th in 90 degree heat and I’ve heard them bugle in June. Neither of those things meant they were rutting

No but we all have a calendar and the hunt is ending on the 11th. I have been archery hunting elk for over 20 years and yes I have killed elk late August and early September but I have to agree with Ruger and just give archery hunters a few extra days in September. I don't think it would be that difficult to fit them in. The Wasatch elk seem to be in very good condition from what I have seen on my cams and on the hoof. Good luck guys this last week.

No but we all have a calendar and the hunt is ending on the 11th. I have been archery hunting elk for over 20 years and yes I have killed elk late August and early September but I have to agree with Ruger and just give archery hunters a few extra days in September. I don't think it would be that difficult to fit them in. The Wasatch elk seem to be in very good condition from what I have seen on my cams and on the hoof. Good luck guys this last week.
Hobble me up one for the Sept 21 muzzy hunt!?

Bulls are active where I have been playing on the Wasatch. They are starting to hit wallows pretty hard and we saw a good herd bull with about 20 cows come in right at dark.
He was screaming all the way from the timber to the water.
Screenshot_20200905-191031_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200905-190946_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200905-191007_Gallery.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom